Opinion Men's 2023 Leadership Group - Merrett/McGrath captain/vice

Who should be in the 2023 leadership group? [Pick up to 7]

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If Merrett was a role player, say a work horse wingman or a small defender, would he be in the discussion as captain? I'm going to say almost certainly not.

Is there anything about his personality that he has conveyed publicly that make him suited to being captain?

This is dumb and is likely to do with the 6 year deal signed more than any particular suitability for the role.

And before the usual suspects start...stop. Coniglio and Fyfe are 2 poor recent captains who got the role as part of contractual commitments. So let's not pretend it doesn't happen.

If Merrett was a role player, say a work horse wingman or a small defender, would he be in the discussion as captain? I'm going to say almost certainly not.

Is there anything about his personality that he has conveyed publicly that make him suited to being captain?

This is dumb and is likely to do with the 6 year deal signed.
Ah he was voted in by team mates…

He’s our only consistent performer. If mcgrath had turned into the player we hoped he would be, the role would be his. At this stage you couldn’t give it to him

This is dumb and is likely to do with the 6 year deal signed more than any particular suitability for the role.

And before the usual suspects start...stop. Coniglio and Fyfe are 2 poor recent captains who got the role as part of contractual commitments. So let's not pretend it doesn't happen.
I'm still convinced you only post here due to contractual commitments. You can't be this sour for real.

bigger question is the lack of viable alternatives.

It's our biggest issue. We lack onfield leadership. Merrett was the obvious choice. Anyone else would have been left-field.
This is not ideal for us across the board.

If Merrett was a role player, say a work horse wingman or a small defender, would he be in the discussion as captain?

* no issue - he's our leading mid

* we just went through a period where some commentators suggested we had Cletus The Slack Jawed Yokel as our captain. A captain can lead by many examples. Personality doesn't have to be THE leading trait here.

* My choice was along the lines of Ridley. But in my heart of hearts it was always going to be Zach... contract or not

* Do we have a source on this... or is just your vibe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Merrett was a role player, say a work horse wingman or a small defender, would he be in the discussion as captain?

* no issue - he's our leading mid

* we just went through a period where some commentators suggested we had Cletus The Slack Jawed Yokel as our captain. A captain can lead by many examples. Personality doesn't have to be THE leading trait here.

* My choice was along the lines of Ridley. But in my heart of hearts it was always going to be Zach... contract or not

* Do we have a source on this... or is just your vibe?
i thought Cogs was partially contractual, partially they were toby-shy (i'd have appointed him tbh)

Ideally he'd have pure fresh air (i.e Heppell retired) but i reckon Dyson will step back completely and not step on toes/fall in step
Happy for Zach, and if a challenger emerges against him in the coming years that can only be good for us

I didn't want to rain on his parade in his player thread but man this is a average choice, it feels like a vanilla choice for a vanilla club.

I understand that a lot of people feel like he was the "obvious choice" or even worse "the only choice" - if this is truly the case then our worst fears are about to be confirmed, because the dearth of leadership both on and off field at this club is a serious problem.

From the outside it feels like Essendon doesn't make brave choices anymore, we just toddle along hoping that we won't end up on the front/back page embarrassing ourselves yet again. It always feel like they don't want to be noticed.

the-simpsons-abe-simpsons.gif

The hard part about making a role player captain is that you need to be an established role player with job security.

With Essendon’s current list age there aren’t too many role players with runs on the board and Job security.

I didn't want to rain on his parade in his player thread but man this is a average choice, it feels like a vanilla choice for a vanilla club.

I understand that a lot of people feel like he was the "obvious choice" or even worse "the only choice" - if this is truly the case then our worst fears are about to be confirmed, because the dearth of leadership both on and off field at this club is a serious problem.

From the outside it feels like Essendon doesn't make brave choices anymore, we just toddle along hoping that we won't end up on the front/back page embarrassing ourselves yet again. It always feel like they don't want to be noticed.

the-simpsons-abe-simpsons.gif

Who else was a legitimate choice?

Redman has only just established himself at AFL level, McGrath is VC and is changing roles to hopefully see him fulfil his draft position, Draper?

Merrett is the clear and obvious choice because there's simply a lack of choices right now. The hope would be in 2 years we have multiple viable options, my preference would be Hobbs. But Hobbs isn't ready now.

Who else was a legitimate choice?

Redman has only just established himself at AFL level, McGrath is VC and is changing roles to hopefully see him fulfil his draft position, Draper?

Merrett is the clear and obvious choice because there's simply a lack of choices right now. The hope would be in 2 years we have multiple viable options, my preference would be Hobbs. But Hobbs isn't ready now.
This is the exact issue though isn't it?

There are no leaders in the group - you only need to watch them on the weekend to realise that they've been rudderless for years.

We haven't recruited for it, and even if they would like to pretend they have, they certainly haven't developed it. It's plain to see with the revolving door leadership group they've had for however many years that there wasn't any standout candidates.

What I wouldn't give for a Cripps, Miller, Greene or Sicily type of character to emerge from our group.

On McGrath, people need to get over his draft position. The day after he was drafted that number became irrelevant. He has to live up to his own potential and the expectations on him are the same as every other player on the list. Pick 1 or SSP doesn't matter.

This is the exact issue though isn't it?

There are no leaders in the group - you only need to watch them on the weekend to realise that they've been rudderless for years.

We haven't recruited for it, and even if they would like to pretend they have, they certainly haven't developed it. It's plain to see with the revolving door leadership group they've had for however many years that there wasn't any standout candidates.

What I wouldn't give for a Cripps, Miller, Greene or Sicily type of character to emerge from our group.

On McGrath, people need to get over his draft position. The day after he was drafted that number became irrelevant. He has to live up to his own potential and the expectations on him are the same as every other player on the list. Pick 1 or SSP doesn't matter.

By fulfil his draft position I mean be a good AFL player. Which I believe he can be playing out of the back-line like he did in his rookie year. Not necessarily be the best player of the draft.

We might very well have someone on the list that emerges, maybe it's Zach? The players voting for him must see something they respect.

No doubt we've lacked leadership on the list for a while now though. It's been a regular issue for us. Meanwhile at Geelong they have a number of options post-Selwood.

Well then. Flame away.

I would not have given the players voting privileges.
So players don’t get voting privileges yet you complained that some stars get given the role because they signed long contract extensions
Rightio

Nearly every club the players vote for their leaders. Common practice

Actually, no. Appointed (different approach as outlined).

Which is a good approach.
Essendon undertook a leadership process under new Senior Coach Brad Scott that provided players the opportunity to identify the key values and qualities they want in their leaders. The squad and football staff then voted on candidates who best demonstrated these values before a recommendation was presented by the football department.

Actually, no. Appointed (different approach as outlined).

Which is a good approach.
Actually, it's both. He was only appointed because he got voted onto the short-list.

Essendon undertook a leadership process under new Senior Coach Brad Scott that provided players the opportunity to identify the key values and qualities they want in their leaders. The squad and football staff then voted on candidates who best demonstrated these values before a recommendation was presented by the football department.

Back