Traded 1. Brianna Davey - Traded to Collingwood - Post #167

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Bri & well deserved! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

D3BvLQdVAAATLS5.jpg

Bri Davey was sensational this season but we already knew how talented she is. This year as captain she has furthered her reputation. Her game in yesterday’s GF had CLASS stamped across it in big letters. Great talent, big game performer and a blue girl. Does it get any better?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and she's on her way out. pity.
Yes, apparently she’s put in a request to be traded to Collingwood, of all clubs - an arch rival, and not even a new kid on the AFLW block. Allegedly we’re filthy, and will be driving the hardest of bargains, with the Pies number one draft pick being merely one part of the equation. Given the performance of their list in the season just gone, quite what else the Pies can offer us remains a mystery to me - privileged access to contestant spots on “Millionaire Hotseat”, perhaps?

Presuming it’s true, then I’m afraid that Bri’s trade request casts this quote from her in a whole new light: “I’m back wearing the navy blue guernsey of Carlton. You have no idea what that means to me.” I actually thought that I did have some idea, but perhaps not.

Obviously, Bri’s served us fantastically well in her first and third seasons - both as a player and as a leader - but given that we supported her through her injury-ravaged second season (not that we had much choice, admittedly), and that she’s a dual B&F winner and our current captain who has just played in a grand final, if she ends up leaving for the Pies then it will hurt.

As a follower of the round ball game, where “player loyalty” is bordering on being an oxymoron, you’d think that I’d have a thicker skin over these sorts of things, but tbh I don’t. Notwithstanding the complexities of introducing expansion teams, I actually feel that the movement of key players in the AFLW (including Katie Brennan’s recent desertion from the Dogs) is a genuine threat to the development of the comp, as it’s in danger of making the whole thing seem rather soulless, at least from a club - as opposed to a gender - point of view.

This is probably all an emotionally-driven overreaction on my part, but I’m really disappointed at this news.

Last edited:
Yes, apparently she’s put in a request to be traded to Collingwood, of all clubs - an arch rival, and not even a new kid on the AFLW block. Allegedly we’re filthy, and will be driving the hardest of bargains, with the Pies number one draft pick being merely one part of the equation. Given the performance of their list in the season just gone, quite what else the Pies can offer us remains a mystery to me - privileged access to contestant spots on “Millionaire Hotseat”, perhaps?

Presuming it’s true, then I’m afraid that Bri’s trade request casts this quote from her in a whole new light: “I’m back wearing the navy blue guernsey of Carlton. You have no idea what that means to me.” I actually thought that I did have some idea, but perhaps not.

Obviously, Bri’s served us fantastically well in her first and third seasons - both as a player and as a leader - but given that we supported her through her injury-ravaged second season (not that we had much choice, admittedly), and that she’s a dual B&F winner and our current captain who has just played in a grand final, if she ends up leaving for the Pies then it will hurt.

As a follower of the round ball game, where “player loyalty” is bordering on being an oxymoron, you’d think that I’d have a thicker skin over these sorts of things, but tbh I don’t. Notwithstanding the complexities of introducing expansion teams, I actually feel that the movement of key players in the AFLW (including Katie Brennan’s recent desertion from the Dogs) is a genuine threat to the development of the comp, as it’s in danger of making the whole thing seem rather soulless, at least from a club - as opposed to a gender - point of view.

This is probably all an emotionally-driven overreaction on my part, but I’m really disappointed at this news.
Tbh it's why I've stopped loving the euro football too

So Davey has officially requested a trade to the Filth.

Disappointing.

I don’t think it’s official at this point in time - our club’s said nothing publicly, as far as I’m aware. However, the weight of reporting strongly suggests that it’s true, with the story already having got a run on the official AFL and AFLW websites, and in the Age and Herald Sun. It would seem that we need to prepare for the worst.

It will be interesting to see how Harf reacts, both in a PR sense now, and in a coaching sense next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back