Game Day AFLW R1: Carlton vs Collingwood, Thursday 25th August, 7:10 PM @ Ikon (AFLW livestream, Ch 7, Fox/Kayo)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Surprised we don't already have a thread! McEvoy and Goss are injured, while Brooke Walker is busy playing NRLW until at least round 5.

Here's my preferred 22 21 to start the discussion:

FB: Lee Trudgeon
HB: D.Walker Laloifi Pound
C: Guerin Peterson Hill
HF: Vescio Ortlepp Hammans
FF: Austin Gibbs

R: Moody McKay Skepper

Int: Sherar, Velardo, O'Dea, Vickers, Milford

But based on the last practice match, we might have Gibbs and Peterson in defence, Guerin on ball, and Vickers, Austin and Ortlepp not playing in favour of Plane, Good, and McWilliams.

Last edited:

I just had a look at our list on the club website, and sheesh we really did get absolutely gutted in the off-season...
It's gonna take some unexpectedly stunning development for the team to be competitive this season. I would honestly be impressed if they didn't finish in the bottom 6.

Our midfield looks very thin - I just can’t see us generating enough inside 50’s to give our forwards any sort of chance to score.

If Harford gets us anywhere in the middle third of the ladder he’s a genius.

Looking forward to seeing how the girls go. Personally I reckon we made a mistake keeping Harford. Time will tell but the exodus of players didn't look great for him. I also think we have under-achieved with what he had to work with.

It's gonna take some unexpectedly stunning development for the team to be competitive this season. I would honestly be impressed if they didn't finish in the bottom 6.

Our midfield looks very thin - I just can’t see us generating enough inside 50’s to give our forwards any sort of chance to score.

If Harford gets us anywhere in the middle third of the ladder he’s a genius.
Goss and Skepper are ready to go mids, so the key issue is maybe a bit of brute strength, hence why I wanted us to throw Peterson into the middle. I think she'll thrive there, and there's also Velardo and Sherar on the bench.

We're relying on 2021 draftees to take a decent step forward, but I think they have that within them. If Austin can cause problems as a third tall and take relief ruck minutes alongside Gibbs, we're honestly not struggling as much as you'd think.

I just wish we'd made more of a focus of adding some run in the last 3 or 4 off-seasons.

Goss and Skepper are ready to go mids, so the key issue is maybe a bit of brute strength, hence why I wanted us to throw Peterson into the middle. I think she'll thrive there, and there's also Velardo and Sherar on the bench.

We're relying on 2021 draftees to take a decent step forward, but I think they have that within them. If Austin can cause problems as a third tall and take relief ruck minutes alongside Gibbs, we're honestly not struggling as much as you'd think.

I just wish we'd made more of a focus of adding some run in the last 3 or 4 off-seasons.

Whilst they’re good players I think it was a long term mistake taking on NRL players Dalton and Walker - they made us an infinitely better running team - but their commitment is “so-so” - Daltons gone and Walker not available till 1/3 of way into season perhaps.

Whilst they’re good players I think it was a long term mistake taking on NRL players Dalton and Walker - they made us an infinitely better running team - but their commitment is “so-so” - Daltons gone and Walker not available till 1/3 of way into season perhaps.
Walker's yet to perform at a level that makes her a huge miss. You're hoping to see that now after getting an NRLW exhibition season in, then we might be able to lure her over with better money and more games over the next few years.

Pies go into this one as heavy favourites and rightly so. It's hard to see us walking away with 4 points though it is the first game of the season so who knows, stranger things have happened.

We had a disastrous off-season but said at the time I'm still expecting a mid-table finish and I still think that will be the case. We should still finish above most if not all of the expansion clubs.

In a shorter season an upset or two can really change the fortunes of a club so let's see what the girls can produce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lucy McEvoy a surprise inclusion. Named on field too.

Round 1 team
Backs:Paige TrudgeonMua Laloifi
Half-backs:Brooke VickersKerryn PetersonLucy McEvoy
Centreline:Jess Dal PosElise O'DeaGab Pound
Half-forwards:Darcy VescioJess GoodNat Plane
Forwards:Phoebe McWillamsKeeley Sherar
Followers:Breann MoodyMimi HillAbbie McKay
Interchange:Maddy GuerinAnnie LeeDaisy Walker
Amelia VelardoMia Austin
Emergencies:Keeley SkepperCharlotte HammansSerena Gibbs

COLLINGWOOD

B:
S.Casey 22 S.Livingstone 12
HB: A.Porter 9 L.Butler 23 R.Schleicher 18
C: S.Chiocci - C 17 J.Lambert 13 J.Allen 6
HF: A.Moloney 40 J.Membrey 21 E.James 20
F: S.Frederick 1 T.Brown 26
Foll: A.Downie 30 C.Molloy 2 L.Brazzale 24
I/C: I.Evans 5 E.Chaston 32 A.Sheridan 14 I.Barnett 4 S.Sansonetti 16

Emerg: E.Fowler 15 C.Taylor 11

Lucy McEvoy a surprise inclusion. Named on field too.

Round 1 team
Backs:Paige TrudgeonMua Laloifi
Half-backs:Brooke VickersKerryn PetersonLucy McEvoy
Centreline:Jess Dal PosElise O'DeaGab Pound
Half-forwards:Darcy VescioJess GoodNat Plane
Forwards:Phoebe McWillamsKeeley Sherar
Followers:Breann MoodyMimi HillAbbie McKay
Interchange:Maddy GuerinAnnie LeeDaisy Walker
Amelia VelardoMia Austin
Emergencies:Keeley SkepperCharlotte HammansSerena Gibbs

McEvoy named after being previously listed as not back until R3... big tick.

Austin being named, tick.

Peterson named in defence, eh.

Skepper and Gibbs not getting a gig... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

All five of O'Dea, McWilliams, Plane, Good and Dal Pos being named... SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH.

Did our best to pick a slow team.

McEvoy named is a very welcome surprise. Key player for us this year.

No real complaints about that side, though I'd dearly love us to move on from Nat Plane. Must admit I don't see how or why she continues to get a game.

Would also have liked to see Skepper named, though I guess they're mindful of exposing too many younger players at once.

McEvoy has been named pending a fitness test tomorrow.

For those interested - compared to the team from our final match of season 6, the only outs are all players who left:

OUT: Jones, Stevens, Prespakis, Gee, Egan
IN: Vickers, McWilliams, Lee, Velardo, Austin

Did anyone watch the praccy game against Melbourne? I didn't see it, but I know we got killed.

Just wondering if it's the "good" kind where there's serious potential for improvement and we were tweaking things, or the bad kind where we looked about 3 grades lower.

I know and expect Melbourne will be flag material this season, so there's always that to hang your hat on.

Expecting it to be a tough one for us though.

Did anyone watch the praccy game against Melbourne? I didn't see it, but I know we got killed.

Just wondering if it's the "good" kind where there's serious potential for improvement and we were tweaking things, or the bad kind where we looked about 3 grades lower.

I know and expect Melbourne will be flag material this season, so there's always that to hang your hat on.

Expecting it to be a tough one for us though.

They definitely got the jump on us in the first. We lifted our intensity and were able to match it with them in the second and third quarters and stop their run, but weren’t able to convert on the scoreboard.

The bulk of their scoring came in the final quarter, but that was probably more due to personnel changes as we were rotating through the full squad.

Still prone to skill errors particularly when under pressure, and our forward entries could use some improvement. But when we are on the endeavour is there, and our midfield is looking good (considering the loss of Prespakis and Egan). McKay definitely seems to have stepped up, and Velardo is looking like a great pickup.

Think we will probably finish about the same position this season, though we have a slightly easier draw this time around so happy if we can somehow scrape into the top 8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back