Game Day AFLW R1: Carlton vs Collingwood, Thursday 25th August, 7:10 PM @ Ikon (AFLW livestream, Ch 7, Fox/Kayo)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gonna be a long season for the girls... struggled last year and lost a handful of their best players.

Expanding to 18 teams this soon was a terrible decision.

Agree we lost a lot and that’s why we are in rebuild. We have no choice but go back to the well. Find players and build cohesion. Go Blues.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Need to switch things around tactically, because that was an ugly game to watch for most of the time, and we couldn't score.

It felt like an hour of 1 team trying to score and the other team just desperately trying to stop them.

They are well clear of us currently and will be closer to the top tier teams. We will be mid to lower I think - probably still better than many of the expansion teams.

For some reason some of our players are doing something that happens a lot in kids football.

They get to the contest and rather than attack the ball they pause, wait for the opposition to get hold of the ball then engage in the play again.

It's only a second or two of hesitation but it allows the opposition the time to get the ball and get a kick forward of the play.

Need to stamp that out.

We will be a mid table team but we are going to cop a couple of floggings from the best teams unfortunately.

When Nat Plane continually gets a game let alone a 2 year contract we are going to struggle.

Yeah, just too many girls lacking the basic skills and/or athleticism to compete against the good sides. Hard to implement any sort of game style when the girls are just constantly fumbling.

Yeah, just too many girls lacking the basic skills and/or athleticism to compete against the good sides. Hard to implement any sort of game style when the girls are just constantly fumbling.

The competition in general is going to suffer from this as there are too many sides and the skills and depth just isn’t there…

They should be coached to play wet weather footy.
So often they go to pick it up when it's the wrong option, and they don't have the skill to do it. Would be much better off knocking the ball on or kicking it off the ground until you can gain a clean possession.

They should be coached to play wet weather footy.
So often they go to pick it up when it's the wrong option, and they don't have the skill to do it. Would be much better off knocking the ball on or kicking it off the ground until you can gain a clean possession.

Hate to say this but, they teach the under 10’s to not kicking off the ground as there skills will not progress. The problem for the women is that they pick it up and they get slammed in a tackle, unlike the under 10’’s…

Last edited:
Hate to say this but, they teacher the under 10’s to not kicking off the ground as there skills will not progress. The problem for the women is that they pick it up and they get slammed in a tackle, unlike the under 10’’s…

Spot on. Too many of them have to almost stop to a halt to bend down to pick the ball up rather than get down low scoop it up in one motion while maintaining forward momentum.

This isn't even that hard of a skill to learn so how they get through to this level seemingly unable to do it boggles the mind

Spot on. Too many of them have to almost stop to a halt to bend down to pick the ball up rather than get down low scoop it up in one motion while maintaining forward momentum.

This isn't even that hard of a skill to learn so how they get through to this level seemingly unable to do it boggles the mind

It won’t change until todays 7 and 8 year old girls decide to play AFL and stick with it until they turn 18 and get drafted.

The other concern is the lack of volume coming through at that level. It’s just not there, even though they are trying to tell us otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It won’t change until todays 7 and 8 year old girls decide to play AFL and stick with it until they turn 18 and get drafted.

The other concern is the lack of volume coming through at that level. It’s just not there, even though they are trying to tell us otherwise.

That kind of skill can be taught later on.

It just needs to be drilled into players so that it becomes a natural thing to do without having to think about it.

Agree we lost a lot and that’s why we are in rebuild. We have no choice but go back to the well. Find players and build cohesion. Go Blues.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That kind of skill can be taught later on.

It just needs to be drilled into players so that it becomes a natural thing to do without having to think about it.
Maybe the Irish women we recently signed coming next season can teach them to flick the ball up with their feet?

Very hard to get invested in this side, We have gone from being one of the more competitive sides in the comp to virtually easy beats now. Only sides we may trouble are the new franchises.

Very badly managed program .

Very hard to get invested in this side, We have gone from being one of the more competitive sides in the comp to virtually easy beats now. Only sides we may trouble are the new franchises.

Very badly managed program .
Does anyone know why so many players have left ? Surely it can’t all be better money at new franchises .

I still support the club, but it doesn’t want you to follow and support, when everyone is leaving , it feels like , if they don’t care, why should we as supporters. problems with new competitions I suppose.

Same reason why I gave up to the big bash, don’t know who is going to be playing in my team each year. It’s something we are not used to as AFL supporters.

Hate to say this but, they teach the under 10’s to not kicking off the ground as there skills will not progress. The problem for the women is that they pick it up and they get slammed in a tackle, unlike the under 10’’s…
They can't seem to pick it up at speed. It seems to be go to the ball,, stop, slowly bend down to pick it up, then look around, then try to decide on maybe disposing of the thing.

Perhaps that's a bit of an exaggeration, but ...

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree with the general consensus that it will be a long year as our list (along with most clubs to a degree) has been depleted of its top talent.

Really wish we held onto the Hosking twins as their work rate is as good as you'll see in AFLW. I have no doubt that the club fought hard to keep not only them, but most players who have been poached (with the exception on maybe one), but it's a kick in the teeth that we get punished for building a quality list only to watch them leave for more money (which I completely understand).

After all these years I still fail to see the hype about Vescio...

If we end up a mid table team I'd be surprised to be honest...

It'll be tough to watch at times but we shouldn't forget just how bad expansion teams usually are in their first couple of seasons. I suspect we'll be finishing above a fair few of them.

It'll be tough to watch at times but we shouldn't forget just how bad expansion teams usually are in their first couple of seasons. I suspect we'll be finishing above a fair few of them.
Made me sick watching Maddy grabbing at her * jumper yesterday.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Funnily enough, our next two games are against expansion sides in * and Port. Hope we can respond and play a bit better against them, and regain some confidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back