Player Watch #1 - Jesse Hogan - traded to Freo - #fistedforever

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's everyone's thoughts on Josh Jenkins? Because he kicked 46 goals (from 22 games) and Hogan kicked 47 (from 20). From match-day threads, I recall the general consensus being that Jenkins is s**t, clumsy and a big girl's blouse in the clinches. Seems to have done okay compared to our "AA in the first half of the season" forward. Hogan also kicked 8 goals in 6 games against top 8 opposition, compared to TMac with 19 from 6. We also averaged 104.5 points per game and Adelaide averaged 88.2 points per game. We're number one in the comp for inside 50s (60.6 per game), which means despite generally terrible delivery, our forwards are getting more opportunities than any others around the league. Hogan gets plenty of opportunities every game and its worthy to debate whether other forwards around the league would do more with them. I reckon there are a fair number who would.

You look at our contested mark average, Gawn is at 2.26, TMac and Weid are at 1.7 and then Jesse is at 1.2. TMac is more mobile, a better contested mark, faster and, surprisingly, a better kick. Weideman has the attributes to be a very good tall forward. Hogan is mid-sized, already physically developed, has a good tank and has a decent amount of experience at this level. Are we expecting him to suddenly take a leap forward in development? Seems more Jack Watts era wishful thinking than realistic. So because he's probably the least equipped to play a key forward role of the three, he should play up the ground or as a midfielder? We recruited him to play forward.

Anyway, saying all that, I agree it would be disruptive to start pawning off any of the core group of players, but the clowns saying "we'd be idiots" to consider trading are clowns and idiots themselves. If we don't have a problem next season trying to fit all of McDonald, Hogan, Weideman, McDonald, Frost, Lever and Gawn in the same side, it'll be because some of them have suffered long-term injuries, gone to s**t or have left the club. We shouldn't be going in ludicrously tall again, so there are going to be some guys feeling hard done by to not get a game. Hogan is a chance to be one of those guys - Goodwin hasn't been too scared to shuffle the cards around. Most thought Garlett was our best small forward and undroppable, until he was speared for not doing enough.
Jenkins is a good AFL football I’m not sure why the hate he gave Rance a touch up this year and he’s the greatest key defender of all time from all accounts, Hogan is 195cm and 100 kgs hardly mid sized he’s a gun key forward who can pinch hit in the middle you’d have to be an idiot to want to trade that away

TMac has been playing first banana, has more contested marks, more goals, provides more of a contest and does it against better opposition. I'm struggling to work out on what metric you'd have Hogan above TMac on this season's evidence. Average possessions? Time spent wrestling with direct opponent?
We’ll have to disagree, having said that I love Tom and think he’s a gun you and I just watch different games

I expect he’ll struggle kick this many at Fremantle next year, especially given he’ll be playing CHB

Getting a bit old this one. I think he'll kick 80 odd for the Demons next year. The Casey Demons.

So everyone's ok with him leaving? No vitriol? No Scully bags or anything?

We paid 3 an 13 for him ( got 20 back an spent it on Dawes)

I understand his reasons but I certainly won't be cheering him on to win Colemans in Perth

Just bringing your post here mate as I think it is more relevant in this thread.

Won't lie I'm fine with him going as I don't have him in our half dozen most important players, but as someone who lost their father when they were very young I have a lot of empathy for him. I hope he doesn't get a kick against us and complains to the umps all day, but I'll be supporting him in all non-MFC games. He has been given a godfather offer and I hold no ill will to him for leaving.

Just bringing your post here mate as I think it is more relevant in this thread.

Won't lie I'm fine with him going as I don't have him in our half dozen most important players, but as someone who lost their father when they were very young I have a lot of empathy for him. I hope he doesn't get a kick against us and complains to the umps all day, but I'll be supporting him in all non-MFC games. He has been given a godfather offer and I hold no ill will to him for leaving.

Wait you are a mod? Where's the name colour change?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd fully admit I'm way too easily sucked in too arguing with ******s
Not at all. You’re endlessly rational and calm.

I wish the trade could happen now and get it over with.

I'd fully admit I'm way too easily sucked in too arguing with ******s
so you argue with yourself too much?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back