Player Watch #1 - Jesse Hogan - traded to Freo - #fistedforever

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waldron said he is a restricted free agent next year. Bartlett said really after 5 years? Yeah no doubt mate Melbourne will get nothing next year. KB says bullshit mate restricted free agency is 7 years so your talking crap. Says a lot about what Waldron knows.
Yeah he battles.

Pretty much.

Hypothetical, if Hogan came to us in September and said he wanted to sign a one or two year deal, would you sign him or trade him? His intentions would be pretty clear with a deal of that length.

This is something the sceptic in me has thought of a bit. I think you would have to sign him for the reasons others have mentioned.

I feel though that the media would be all over it as an "indication" that he isn't confident of our direction, delaying the inevitable blah blah and take the opportunity to sink the boots in which would mean essentially another 2-3 years of the "will he/won't he" bullshit.

This is something the sceptic in me has thought of a bit. I think you would have to sign him for the reasons others have mentioned.

I feel though that the media would be all over it as an "indication" that he isn't confident of our direction, delaying the inevitable blah blah and take the opportunity to sink the boots in which would mean essentially another 2-3 years of the "will he/won't he" bullshit.
And ain't nobody got time for that!

As irreplaceable as I believe he is, we will get very well compensated if he goes and it'll free up a LOT of cap space.

Obviously I'd like to keep him, probably my favourite player. If he goes I will be mad at him but hey, at worst it'll set us back one year.

As irreplaceable as I believe he is, we will get very well compensated if he goes and it'll free up a LOT of cap space.

Obviously I'd like to keep him, probably my favourite player. If he goes I will be mad at him but hey, at worst it'll set us back one year.
At worst it'll cost us a premiership and we'll be waiting another 50 years for ultimate success.

I honestly think he'll stay and when he does it will be for the right reasons. He's looking for team success and he seems like a smart guy who would know taking a ridiculous $1.5mil a year from a team would hinder that teams chances for a flag.

I'm not a fan of the talk about him being replaceable and we'll get compensated well with draft picks and it will free up cap space. We've done well with our picks the last few years and now we're in a position that we've got the young kids in place we don't need any more first round draft picks to develop over the next 5 years. We should be looking at free agency and trading to get the players we need to win a flag. And let's start paying players what they deserve and use up our cap instead of overpaying crap campaigners to get to the minimum 95% threshold.

Our time is now. Keep Jesse. If we lose the best young key position player in the comp our time will not come for at least another 6 or 7 years.

I actually had a dream last night about a press conference where we announced that Jesse had signed on for another 3 years. I remember feeling very sheepish at the thought of having to front up to Proper Gander and admit she was right. Now that I'm awake, I'm no more convinced he'll stay than before, but it's interesting to note that my subconscious is putting in the work on this one - taking it one sleep at a time.

At worst it'll cost us a premiership and we'll be waiting another 50 years for ultimate success.

I honestly think he'll stay and when he does it will be for the right reasons. He's looking for team success and he seems like a smart guy who would know taking a ridiculous $1.5mil a year from a team would hinder that teams chances for a flag.

I'm not a fan of the talk about him being replaceable and we'll get compensated well with draft picks and it will free up cap space. We've done well with our picks the last few years and now we're in a position that we've got the young kids in place we don't need any more first round draft picks to develop over the next 5 years. We should be looking at free agency and trading to get the players we need to win a flag. And let's start paying players what they deserve and use up our cap instead of overpaying crap campaigners to get to the minimum 95% threshold.

Our time is now. Keep Jesse. If we lose the best young key position player in the comp our time will not come for at least another 6 or 7 years.

If he is looking for team success he signs at the start of the trade period. Call me cynical but I doubt it is really coming down to that, he should have signed by now considering how poorly Freo are doing.

He ain't the difference in a premiership
Who was Geelong superstar key forward between 2007 and 2011?
If your answer is Hawkins he did nothing in 07 and 09 and whilst he was good in 11 his kicking at goal was s**t house
Tony Lockett is the best goal kicker of all time and he played in 1 losing grand final
Gary Ablett SR is potentially the GOAT and he only played in losing grand finals despite kicking 9? In the 89 grand final loss
Nick Riewoldt, Richo, Pavlich, Neitz etc all never won a premiership

If Hogan is our only hope for a premiership we may as well all give up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but that isn't what he's said.

At worst it'll cost us a premiership
it will set us back another 6-7 years

Fact is key forwards are less useful than ever in the modern game and pinning our expectations on a bloke who's played 37 games or whatever is silly

I think my post was taken the wrong way, I agree he is irreplaceable BUT there are still good things that can result from him leaving.

He is still the best young player I've seen in my short time supporting us, him signing on again would be a massive boost. Just saying it isn't the end of the world if he goes.

His knee injury saved what would have been the worst game for someone his talent and "potential" perfect conditions and was no where near it, may wasn't even playing close to him either

What are you trying to say?

Because you aren't making sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back