12 team competition. 6 teams have to go, who would you boot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright. Here we go:

Essendon
GWS
Gold Coast
North Melbourne
Carlton
Port Adelaide
Western Bulldogs

Get rid of them.
I know I listed 7 teams but that is because i want to add an NT Thunder team. Some SERIOUSLY talented guys over their. Make it happen AFL, I want to see a Northern Territory team by 2030.

You would never see the dogs, north, blues, and dons all go. You have basically removed most of the afl footprint in the west and the north of Melbourne

You would want to retain at least two of those side, and remove two from the south/east IMO

You would never see the dogs, north, blues, and dons all go. You have basically removed most of the afl footprint in the west and the north of Melbourne

You would want to retain at least two of those side, and remove two from the south/east IMO

Also a 12 team competition could not include teams from outside the 5 biggest cities. That may/may not include either Geelong or Port Adelaide

Not saying what would happen if we cut it down to 12 teams. read the thread title. It is who YOU would boot.

Tell me, why is docklands management handing over the ground?

As for the half full grounds, I assume you were consistent and make similar comments when Port was lucky to half fill Football Park, or it this another case where things are only bad when Vic clubs do them?

Ass - U -me , nope YOU alone.

Your concern over Port ignores the reality of their performance in the AFL comp despite the problems with the SANFL - of course its good to see them fighting back given they were the most successful club of the State league era.
SA footy seems to be back on track, something that can not be said for a number of the Melbourne clubs with supply clearly exceeding demand.

Docklands stadium is SNAFU courtesy AFL mismanagement of the Melbourne clubs/Melbourne stadiums as is demonstrated by the FIXture year in, year out.

Not saying what would happen if we cut it down to 12 teams. read the thread title. It is who YOU would boot.

I know that

Why would you kill the leagues presence in the north and west though? you have the entire melbourne based clubs in SE melbourne in your vision for the 12 team league

Personally I'd keep carlton and the dons, and flick the saints and one of Melbourne or Richmond

Its not going to happen. All 18 current clubs will be around for the forseeable future, and its morelikely to go to 20-24 teams in the next 20 years or so than to contract. If it did happen though.

The definite survivors would be:
West Coast
Fremantle
Adelaide
Collingwood
Essendon
Richmond
Hawthorn
Brisbane
Sydney

and probably
Carlton
Geelong
WA3 or Port Adelaide to make up the numbers

Ass - U -me , nope YOU alone.

I was trying to be polite, there was no assumption involved, I know you're not consistent.

for example..

Your concern over Port ignores the reality of their performance in the AFL comp despite the problems with the SANFL - of course its good to see them fighting back given they were the most successful club of the State league era.
SA footy seems to be back on track, something that can not be said for a number of the Melbourne clubs with supply clearly exceeding demand.

Docklands stadium is SNAFU courtesy AFL mismanagement of the Melbourne clubs/Melbourne stadiums as is demonstrated by the FIXture year in, year out.

Port has problems with the SANFL, so it's gets 'forgiven' for it's problems, and you consider it's state league history is a virtue.

Vic clubs have problems with the AFL, and you want to kill off those clubs as a result, with their league history (at both state and national levels) being meaningless.

At least you're consistent in your inconsistency....If a Vic club does something, it's bad, if a non-Vic club does the same thing, it's good.

Go on, I need a laugh, tell me how you're not anti-Vic again.

Brisbane, GWS, Port Adelaide, North Melbourne, St Kilda and Melbourne. It's easier to sell holidays to the Gold Coast than Brisbane, South Australian economy a real problem, Norf get squeezed out by the doggies and Bombers, St Kilda can't find a home they like anyway and it would be good to keep a club called Melbourne but they just have the least support of the remaining Victorian teams.

So the 'AFL', a national league, would have 10 clubs from around Melbourne & only 2 from the rest of the country? It would have no teams in the biggest & 3rd biggest markets! Good luck with that surviving for more than 5 minutes:rolleyes:

This isnt 1985 any more. The league would survive even if all the non victorian clubs were gone.

This isnt 1985 any more. The league would survive even if all the non victorian clubs were gone.

If they vacate the field in NSW & QLD, & shrink back to one area, that would leave the NRL to dominate the TV rights game & probably expand to WA. The AFL would be on a slow demise from being the number one league to 2nd then 3rd.

I dont see how you could possibly believe what you said. Even the AFL itself wouldnt be that blindly arrogant about its position.

If they vacate the field in NSW & QLD, & shrink back to one area, that would leave the NRL to dominate the TV rights game & probably expand to WA. The AFL would be on a slow demise from being the number one league to 2nd then 3rd.

I dont see how you could possibly believe what you said. Even the AFL itself wouldnt be that blindly arrogant about its position.

I never said the league would be number 1 in that scenario - and its not the ideal scenario. I said the league would survive if the non victorian clubs were cut loose, because its not 1985 any more, the league isnt broke, and the Victorian clubs would get along quite fine playing each other - the smaller clubs would be better off in fact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never said the league would be number 1 in that scenario - and its not the ideal scenario. I said the league would survive if the non victorian clubs were cut loose, because its not 1985 any more, the league isnt broke, and the Victorian clubs would get along quite fine playing each other - the smaller clubs would be better off in fact.

That is a joke, surely. Its not April fools is it? To go back to the pissy VFL in this day & age? Major Sponsorship would plummet. Who would pay for the grounds they would play on?. The Game of Australian rooles football would be soon in a tail spin to oblivion.

That is a joke, surely. Its not April fools is it? To go back to the pissy VFL in this day & age? Major Sponsorship would plummet. Who would pay for the grounds they would play on?. The Game of Australian rooles football would be soon in a tail spin to oblivion.

Im saying if it had to be done, it could be and the league wouldnt fold. It would have less money sure - clubs, league and players would need to adapt some, but it would survive and relatively easily so. Sponsorship might drop for the league - although a big part of AFL income is derived from Victoria in any case, as its by far the largest Australian football state. Im not so sure it would drop at club level - given that the league would still be televised nationally - just as it was before it became the AFL in many states.

Stadiums would be fine at the MCG, Docklands and Kardinia Park - average crowds in Victoria would probably rise, given they wouldnt have to cater for games against low drawing non victorian clubs, which might actually lead to an increase in membership - and that in turn lead to increases in other areas like merchandise and sponsorship.

On the flip side - no more funding GWS and Gold Coast, no more having to prop up Port Adelaide and Brisbane, no more funding for AFL Tasmania, AFL NSW/ACT, AFL NT or AFL Queensland. No more fritterning away money on development programs outside the state, no more money spent on building ovals and supplying goal posts outside of the state or paying development officers. No more Auskick funding. No more combines. Thats a $100 million a year saving right there.

The game of Australian Football would go on even if the AFL died. It wouldnt be as pro sure, but it would move on and continue to evolve. Just like every other amateur sport on the planet.

Im saying if it had to be done, it could be and the league wouldnt fold. It would have less money sure - clubs, league and players would need to adapt some, but it would survive and relatively easily so. Sponsorship might drop for the league - although a big part of AFL income is derived from Victoria in any case, as its by far the largest Australian football state. Im not so sure it would drop at club level - given that the league would still be televised nationally - just as it was before it became the AFL in many states.

Stadiums would be fine at the MCG, Docklands and Kardinia Park - average crowds in Victoria would probably rise, given they wouldnt have to cater for games against low drawing non victorian clubs, which might actually lead to an increase in membership - and that in turn lead to increases in other areas like merchandise and sponsorship.

On the flip side - no more funding GWS and Gold Coast, no more having to prop up Port Adelaide and Brisbane, no more funding for AFL Tasmania, AFL NSW/ACT, AFL NT or AFL Queensland. No more fritterning away money on development programs outside the state, no more money spent on building ovals and supplying goal posts outside of the state or paying development officers. No more Auskick funding. No more combines. Thats a $100 million a year saving right there.

The game of Australian Football would go on even if the AFL died. It wouldnt be as pro sure, but it would move on and continue to evolve. Just like every other amateur sport on the planet.

Yes it would be confined to semi pro again. Only this time the bulk of kids in this country would choose cricket, soccer, league, rugby, basketball over footy because thats where the money would be. No more interstate recruits. The level of sponsorship would take a dive. National television? how long do you think that would last?

Sorry, I think you are kidding. Without a 'proper' nationally functioning league, the game would devolve & become irrelevant. Over time it would die

Yes it would be confined to semi pro again. Only this time the bulk of kids in this country would choose cricket, soccer, league, rugby, basketball over footy because thats where the money would be. No more interstate recruits. The level of sponsorship would take a dive. National television? how long do you think that would last?

Sorry, I think you are kidding. Without a 'proper' nationally functioning league, the game would devolve & become irrelevant. Over time it would die

Why would it become semi pro again? The game was fully professional with much much much less money that has now - players stopped having second jobs in the 90s when total league revenue was about 200 million and most players were on $60,000 a year. There is no way it goes back to that now, even if the game was only in Victoria

And yuour having a lend on the rest, as well as totally showing your ignorance on football and football economics in Victoria. But its no more than I expect. Most of the current AFLs support, tv rights, memberships, attendances and recruits - and the latent benefits from that including sponsorship and tv rights - are still primarily derived from Victoria. the fact that you still dont understand shows that discussing this is utterly futile.

Youve decided football in Victoria is uneoonomical long before this thread even started. So how about we get back to the topic at hand.

I was trying to be polite, there was no assumption involved, I know you're not consistent.

for example..

Port has problems with the SANFL, so it's gets 'forgiven' for it's problems, and you consider it's state league history is a virtue.

Vic clubs have problems with the AFL, and you want to kill off those clubs as a result, with their league history (at both state and national levels) being meaningless.

At least you're consistent in your inconsistency....If a Vic club does something, it's bad, if a non-Vic club does the same thing, it's good.

Go on, I need a laugh, tell me how you're not anti-Vic again.

Refer to Mike Sheahan article given you believe in balance - any national comp needs a game in town every weekend IMHO.

A market where supply exceeds demand, other markets where demand exceeds supply - why cant you address it?

Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney, GWS, Port and Fremantle.

Do you want every grand final to be between WCE and the crows?

WCE are a financial powerhouse now, imagine with them owning wa for three decades

Keep Adelaide, Brisbane, Fremantle, Gold Coast, GWS, Port Adelaide, Sydney and West Coast. Then it becomes interesting.....

Then you'd probably have the pies, dons, Hawks, and cats rounding out the 12

Would be interesting to see just how big those three would get effectively owning the Melbourne market

Adelaide Crows
Brisbane Suns (Lions and Suns merge)
Carlton Kangaroos (Blues and North merge)
Collingwood
Essendon
Fremantle
Geelong Wildcats (Richmond and Geelong merge)
Melbourne Hawks (Hawks and Dees merge)
Port Adelaide
St.Kilda
Sydney Bulldogs (Giants play home games at the SCG and Sydney Showground and merge with the Dogs)
Western Swans (Swans are the birds of WA, merge with the Eagles)

Then you'd probably have the pies, dons, Hawks, and cats rounding out the 12

Would be interesting to see just how big those three would get effectively owning the Melbourne market

Would be interesting to see what the AFL does when half the Victorian audience tells the AFL to go to hell. This isnt just 10,000 Fitzroy supporters anymore. Yes I know about the SANFL and the WAFL and their little sob story, but you arent creating new composite teams, your talking 4 current teams, two of which are some of the most despised clubs by opposition supporters in the league.

Would be interesting to see what the AFL does when half the Victorian audience tells the AFL to go to hell. This isnt just 10,000 Fitzroy supporters anymore. Yes I know about the SANFL and the WAFL and their little sob story, but you arent creating new composite teams, your talking 4 current teams, two of which are some of the most despised clubs by opposition supporters in the league.

no chance everyone walks from the game entirely

people wont stop playing footy just because the blues and tigs are gone. You'd have a generational blip, but then the next gen of kids would pick a side without the baggage of the past

that being said, i think 3 is too few in melbourne. these clubs would dominate everything, and its moving the scales far too much in that direction

Remove this Banner Ad

Back