12 Teams = Level Playing Field

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints + Hawks = East Melbourne Saints/Hawks.
Melbourne + Carlton = Melbourne Blues
Bulldogs + North = West Melbourne Bulldogs/Roos
Essendon + Geelong = Geelong Bombers
Richmond + Collingwood = South Melbourne Magpies/Tigers.
Gold Coast + Brisbane = QLD Lions
GWS + Sydney = NSW Swans
Adelaide + Port = SA Crows.
WC + Freo = WA Eagles.

Gives me 9 teams.

I would then put teams in Burkina Faso, Andorra and Federal Islamic Republic of the Comoros Islands. They could decide their own team names.

Tassie unlucky to miss out but it is already a footy dominated market so there is no room to make $$$$$
Now there's a team to hate:p

Leigh absolutely on the money once again.

However there are multiple ways of getting there all with their drawbacls

Expanding to 22 teams would allow for a fair draw, but would dilute the talent pool considerably, so it would need to find new markets to wide the pool of players.

Reducing teams to 12 or 14 to allow for 2 games each - would reduce to number of games and subsequent revenue. Would also run the risk of disenfranchising a number of supporters from Vic clubs

Expanding to 24 teams and running two divisions with an element of promotion/relegation. Again issues of diluting the talent pool and assessing how the draft concessions apply across two leagues and the desire for players to leave lower clubs for higher clubs.

20 teams.

This is the future whether we like it or not...

Essendon Bombers
Carlton Blues
Collingwood Magpies ----------------------------- VIC ----- (5)
Richmond Tigers
Hawthorn Hawks

Brisbane Lions
Gold Coast Suns
Sunshine Coast Sharks --------------------------- QLD ----- (4)
Townsville Timberwolves

Sydney Swans
Greater Western Sydney Giants ------------------ NSW ---- (4)
Canberra Cats
Newcastle Saints

Fremantle Dockers
West Coast Eagles ------------------------------- WA ------ (3)
Perth Magic

Adelaide Crows
Port Adelaide Power ------------------------------ SA ------ (2)

Tasmania Demons ------------------------------- TAS ------ (1)

Northern Kangaroos ------------------------------ NT ------- (1)

1444482.png

Tell me more about the Townsville Timberwolves!

Leigh Matthews was asked if he was appointed an AFL commissioner what anomaly would he address, to wich he responded "12 teams". Whether he was joking I am not sure but he quickly went on to explain a 12 team competition would mean all teams played each other twice.

It will never happen, but suppose it did, which 6 teams would you have leave the competition? And why?

Here's my 6.

1. Gold Coast - one of the last in, so first out. I'm not convinced Gold Coast is a viable market anyway.
2. North Melbourne - reasons why have been covered in umpteen posts.
3. Melbourne - no time for being sentimental if 6 clubs have to go, but could give them a merger option.
4. GWS - same as GC
5. Western Bulldogs - tough decision, but....
6. Port Power - financial viability questionable
Geelong to GDFL

Yes, there are too many teams but I am reluctant to comment due to the fact I know which one in particular looks most at risk.

A level playing field however can be achieved easily without any clubs being cut. Simply have a 36 game home and away fixture that runs into the next season. i.e. play 22 games one season then the other 14 games are then played as the first for the following season. Then rotation starts again. Everyone is happy as they play everyone home and away over a period of 36 weeks.

20 teams.

This is the future whether we like it or not...

Essendon Bombers
Carlton Blues
Collingwood Magpies ----------------------------- VIC ----- (5)
Richmond Tigers
Hawthorn Hawks

Brisbane Lions
Gold Coast Suns
Sunshine Coast Sharks --------------------------- QLD ----- (4)
Townsville Timberwolves

Sydney Swans
Greater Western Sydney Giants ------------------ NSW ---- (4)
Canberra Cats
Newcastle Saints

Fremantle Dockers
West Coast Eagles ------------------------------- WA ------ (3)
Perth Magic

Adelaide Crows
Port Adelaide Power ------------------------------ SA ------ (2)

Tasmania Demons ------------------------------- TAS ------ (1)

Northern Kangaroos ------------------------------ NT ------- (1)

1444482.png

I know you dislike Geelong, but how could you not include the undisputed most successful team in the AFL era in your revamped competition?

Here's an idea:

Find some obscure criteria that keeps your club in the cut (name, years of existence, ridiculous titles coming from 40 years ago, own stadia) and get rid of the 6 you don't like...all while keeping the big boiz happy.

Oh, wait. Originality and all that.

Actually this is a boring discussion with little or no chance of a sensible outcome due to its complete ignorance of the new reality driven by the dominance of TV rights in the competitions economy.

The more interesting question is why is every thread started by Sttew a thinly disguised troll?

Thinly disguised troll? I didn't raise this topic on radio. What you are saying is that any topic that might offend supporters should not be discussed on the BF forum?

Thinly disguised troll? I didn't raise this topic on radio. What you are saying is that any topic that might offend supporters should not be discussed on the BF forum?

Because its what you do Sttew. Its your MO. Every thread you start starts with "I heard on the radio/saw on Fox Footy/read in the Herald Sun"

The fact that you use a starting point from someone in the media to launch your trolling doesnt make it less trolly. I could latch onto any negative comment made by someone about Geelong in the media as an excuse to launch a BF main board thread about it with the intent of trolling Geelong. The fact it started with a comment from Dermie/Patrick Smith/Parkin/ whomever doesnt make what I am doing less of a troll.

Same with people who use any article about Port's or Melbournes finances as an excuse to troll those clubs, or an article about Jurrah to troll Melbourne, or or or ad infinitum.

Thats why I call it a thinly disguised troll.

People can look up your previous threads, its not hard, and judge for themselves.

Since the Geelong dynasty has come to an end, may as well relegate them to be a VFL side only.

I'd go for this as karma for the OP plus teams of anyone who suggested the Dogs - does that leave anyone?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since the Geelong dynasty has come to an end, may as well relegate them to be a VFL side only.

Aside, of course, from the fact that while the Demons, for instance, are debt-free, have set record profits over each of the last two years, and have seen an unprecedented rise in membership over the last 6 years, Geelong are the most heavily indebted club in the AFL, except for Carlton.

And as I also pointed out earlier, the Cats' membership is in marked decline such that even during a Premiership year, they lost 2000 members.

Makes the OP look even worse.

Sttew should have a proper look at his own club before ever thinking about trying this on again.

Aside, of course, from the fact that while the Demons, for instance, are debt-free, have set record profits over each of the last two years, and have seen an unprecedented rise in membership over the last 6 years, Geelong are the most heavily indebted club in the AFL, except for Carlton.

And as I also pointed out earlier, the Cats' membership is in marked decline such that even during a Premiership year, they lost 2000 members.

Sttew should have a proper look at his own club before ever thinking about trying this on again.

Yeah, after last nights game cats are dead and buried. Bartel, kelly, mackie and chapman are past it. I can't believe the cats beat the pies in the grand final last year. Anyway, if we were to go with a. 12 team comp, we,d be better off without geelong.

Geelong has gone into debt because it is planning for a very long future in the AFL where it will be based in its own stadium with 40,000 capacity and have its own training facility.

Demons might be debt free, but I tell you right now, I'd rather be in Geelong's "shoes"

How many forums have you cut and paste this statement into?

I was thinking about this then all of a sudden the solution came to me....

Carlton
Collingwood
Essendon
Fitzroy
Footscray
Geelong
Hawthorn
Melbourne
North Hobart
Richmond
South Melbourne
St Kilda

Sorted!

I was thinking about this then all of a sudden the solution came to me....

Carlton
Collingwood
Fitzroy
Footscray
Geelong
Hawthorn
Melbourne
North Hobart
North Melbourne
Richmond
South Melbourne
St Kilda

Sorted!

Completely sorted now, I would say. And I do love the way you think Perry :thumbsu::D

SAGnD.gif

I wish I could harness the stupidity displayed in this thread and convert it into something exploitable.

May be it's time to relaunch the VFA.

Mate the VFA still exists, it's just called the VFL now. They changed their name in 1996.

Port Melbourne won the Premiership last year.

If you mean start a brand new league and give it the name 'VFA' then okay that makes sense with clarification.

Nice.

Look at your own club if you're talking about those who are up against the wall right now. Geelong - $10 million in debt - more than any other club except Carlton. Membership in such a marked decline it fell 2000 even during a Premiership year.

Our base is rock solid. Yours certainly isn't.

Mate are you aware that the GFC are currently upgrading Kardinia Park and have been for the last few years? This will increase capacity and will allow for more games to be held there. It's very common for businesses to go into debt for long term investment/growth. If you check the financial statements the club is more than financially viable and capable of holding this debt. There is a difference between a structural deficit and a debt.

In addition, memberships and home ground attendances are still way above historical averages.

You're either trolling, or business ignorant, but either way I'm glad Melbourne is now debt free because I don't wish financial difficulty on any club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back