Remove this Banner Ad

12 - cutler.jpg
Contract Status: Out of contract 2022
Last Game Played: Round 13, 2022 (omit)
Injury Status: Should be available to play this weekend - 20/7
Quad strain, "standard" injury, will miss about 4 weeks - 29/6

My Boy Draft 2022: Pick 16, ghostdog

Last edited:

We’re happy to let the players we draft languish in the twos to work on their craft... how about letting this bloke do the same.

Doesn’t play until he can show a real hunger for the physical side of the game. How can he be built like that yet arguably the softest player on our list?

We’re happy to let the players we draft languish in the twos to work on their craft... how about letting this bloke do the same.

Doesn’t play until he can show a real hunger for the physical side of the game. How can he be built like that yet arguably the softest player on our list?
Dew did the same thing to Fiorini and Hall get hard or go home

One thing I am willing to cut him a (bit) of slack for is a lot of players struggle first year moving to a new club. Hell Mayne played so awful at Collingwood that there was discussion of delisting him with years left to go on his contract. I don't think Cutler has been awful just mediocre. Even superstars like Kelly take some time.

But I think there are some good qualities to work with that may make a good AFL player.

I wasn't convinced when we recruited him. At the same time Cutler was buggering up Brisbane, Lions fans were lamenting Corey Lyons languishing in the twos and consistently putting in strong performances, but not being able to break into their midfield. We should have been into Lyons in my opinion.

I wasn't convinced when we recruited him. At the same time Cutler was buggering up Brisbane, Lions fans were lamenting Corey Lyons languishing in the twos and consistently putting in strong performances, but not being able to break into their midfield. We should have been into Lyons in my opinion.

From what I know last year Corey was frustrated from not getting a crack and was very open to coming back home to VIC.

One thing I am willing to cut him a (bit) of slack for is a lot of players struggle first year moving to a new club. Hell Mayne played so awful at Collingwood that there was discussion of delisting him with years left to go on his contract. I don't think Cutler has been awful just mediocre. Even superstars like Kelly take some time.

But I think there are some good qualities to work with that may make a good AFL player.
He’s on a 1 year contract, he doesn’t have time. Shape up or ship out.

Oddly enough there is virtually no negative posts on the Lions board player thread about him although there are only 8 pages. Must do things differently there.
I read quite a few sarcastic comments wondering if he'd learnt to run both ways and tackle but they may have been in their preview thread or game day thread. They seemed to be pretty accepted opinion.

Oddly enough there is virtually no negative posts on the Lions board player thread about him although there are only 8 pages. Must do things differently there.
On most other boards you'd probably be better to search that board for all mentions of 'Cutler'. Probably crops up in game day/review threads and single-issue roast/toast threads.

any chance we could get Mitch Brown back?

For real though. I was fine with delisting Mitch Brown if there was a big push for team defence, but the recruitment of Tom Cutler offsets that. Feel like we did little to no due diligence, looked at some of his numbers on Footywire, and thought we had a player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

God damn, with some of the comments in here you'd swear we traded a first rounder and gave him a million dollar deal. If he was actually good then we wouldn't have got him for what we paid.

On most other boards you'd probably be better to search that board for all mentions of 'Cutler'. Probably crops up in game day/review threads and single-issue roast/toast threads.
I have trouble reading our game day threads let alone another teams :p
To be honest there tends to be a lot of blind anger when things are not going well or a player makes a couple of mistakes.

For real though. I was fine with delisting Mitch Brown if there was a big push for team defence, but the recruitment of Tom Cutler offsets that. Feel like we did little to no due diligence, looked at some of his numbers on Footywire, and thought we had a player.
I have watched a few of his games from 2018 recently and I really have not seen the really bad stuff he is supposed to have done. For his size he is certainly not what you would call hard but he had some decent games. It is amazing what you will watch on your IPad while waiting for a crane to unload you at a building site :cool:

I want to like Cutler and I've seen some good things. But wow he has a lot of mares and soft moments. Irony is he's built like a brick shithouse but plays like he's made of glass.

Can we please * this guy off! Absolutely depressing he's 'best' 22. Makes Myers final years look good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back