Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

Like Atley hey? The acceptance of mediocrity is what has seen us, and will continue to see us, remain a mid-table team at best. I’d actually like to see us win a flag this decade, rather than watching average footballers “getting the job done” - whatever that means???

Richmond, WC and the Dogs had 22 stars in their flag sides?

3-4 of his disposals yesterday would have been opposition goals from turnovers against the top 4-6 sides.

He's a 25 year old 90 game midfielder now and his delivery by foot inside 50 is horrendous.

It needs addressing.

That logic applied to the entire team. He's hardly surrounded by 21 Darren Jarmans.

How so Tef?

Trent has his limitations (like all players) but they seem to be brought into focus at the oversight of his strengths.

His "limitations" are not insignificant, particularly for a wing man. These are the current facts mate.

I do not disregard his positive traits at all, and I made note in the votes thread that he would have got a vote from me if not for his skill execution.

I cannot see him holding down a wing as the side evolves, and I hope another role is forthcoming or he tightens up his disposal.

Trent gets an A+ for effort every week mate, but so did Mitch Hibberd and Declan Mountford.

I get the impression that Trent is the guy who absolutely brains the role the coaches want from him each week. If Polec did what Trent does he wouldn’t be out right now.

Yes he has his limitations. For me it isn’t his footspeed that hurts him so much as his slowness in disposal - getting it from hand to foot where he can get caught out.

Having said that it isn’t a big deal when he works his arse off up and down the ground, providing an option or chopping out for teammates caught out in defensive transition. He makes a lot of other people look good.

I get the impression that Trent is the guy who absolutely brains the role the coaches want from him each week. If Polec did what Trent does he wouldn’t be out right now.

Yes he has his limitations. For me it isn’t his footspeed that hurts him so much as his slowness in disposal - getting it from hand to foot where he can get caught out.

Having said that it isn’t a big deal when he works his arse off up and down the ground, providing an option or chopping out for teammates caught out in defensive transition. He makes a lot of other people look good.
Very good assessment. He allows blokes to freewheel. If he keeps his current output of pressure at the same level he has produced the last 18 months he is safe as houses. His pressure drops and yep, he is under pressure to retain his spot.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You’ve seen the impact Brad Hill has had on St.Kilda whilst we’ve spent a decade playing slow crabs who can’t kick.

Yes he is a good player, I’m sure he is also a decent leader, but he isn’t good at being a wingman which is his only position.

He is shithouse in D50 and doesn’t kick goals. What is his role?

He is neither a defensive or attack minded player. He has not stood up in Cunners or Ziebell’s or LDU or JEDs absence.

He is the guy walking around the office holding a sheet of paper, but not actually doing anything.
Football illiterate abounds. Certified Morons everywhere.

Football illiterate abounds. Certified Morons everywhere.

I'm not as negative on Dumont as old mate here but Dumont just can't rip a game open the way Hill can with pace and disposal. Dumont is a blue-collar footballer who gives his all but has a limited ceiling. He works hard every week, gets plenty of the ball but just doesn't have weapons that really hurt the opposition.

About right. If we're good, he's border line best 22. Probably plays every week given injuries.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
He polled equal 3rd votes in the b&f last year so I am not sure where the other 19 players have come to drop him down to borderline best 22. With all those stars having come into the side I can't understand why we aren't top of the ladder and premiership favourites

He polled equal 3rd votes in the b&f last year so I am not sure where the other 19 players have come to drop him down to borderline best 22. With all those stars having come into the side I can't understand why we aren't top of the ladder and premiership favourites

I think the keywords in Passmore's post were "If we're good". If we're good he doesn't come third in our B&F. If we're good he is solid citizen that needs to play close to his best to keep his spot. I like Froggy. If our whole team played as consistently as close to their potential as he does we would be a lot better than we are.

Dumont is N old school reliable footballer aka Sam Gibson and that’s the problem of our team in that we got too many of those players under brad Scott. We can’t retro judge because the reason we got those players so they can perform with degrees of consistency unlike Melbourne Carlton and Richmond who got the flakey type at that time.
But 8n order to move in, Dumont type has to evolved iN that the players we get I; had to be the high skill, excellent disposal type that also must do the dirty work, not either or.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah he suffers a bit, because he lacks weapons.

I reckon if his kicking went from being solid (sometimes great, sometimes average, sometimes ordinary) to total top shelf then he would have less detractors on here.

His technique is pretty good already, but if he could work on his reaction time, then he could see real improvement in his arsenal.

Like you absolutely nailed above, it's the reaction time that gets him into trouble and it's the one area where he has real scope for improvement.

I'm not as negative on Dumont as old mate here but Dumont just can't rip a game open the way Hill can with pace and disposal. Dumont is a blue-collar footballer who gives his all but has a limited ceiling. He works hard every week, gets plenty of the ball but just doesn't have weapons that really hurt the opposition.
This board...Nic Nat is s**t, just a flash in the pan...what about Goldie.

Brad Hill rips cames a part, why can’t we have him instead of Dumont.

Dumont, was playing in the guts for a lot of yesterday. 7 clearances. Has Hill ever had 7 clearances?

As I said, their are a lot of pretend football analysts on here.

This board...Nic Nat is sh*t, just a flash in the pan...what about Goldie.

Brad Hill rips cames a part, why can’t we have him instead of Dumont.

Dumont, was playing in the guts for a lot of yesterday. 7 clearances. Has Hill ever had 7 clearances?

As I said, their are a lot of pretend football analysts on here.

Different players. Like I said I like Dumont but if he was up for trade last year no one was giving us a player and a top ten pick for him. Might have got a late second-rounder for him.

No one says Nic Nat is sh*t, just massively overhyped by commentators.

We're all pretend football analysts on here. What would make you think otherwise?

And it's "there" not "their". If you have a cheap shot at me after I make a reasonable comment then your rubbish spelling is fair game.

3-4 of his disposals yesterday would have been opposition goals from turnovers against the top 4-6 sides.

He's a 25 year old 90 game midfielder now and his delivery by foot inside 50 is horrendous.

It needs addressing.
24 disposals at 83% with 1 turnover. People are carrying on like he's equivalent to Macmillan (17 at 71% with 4 turnovers including the one that led to Adelaide's first goal. Two minutes later rinse and repeat but luckily Macadam missed).
He's exactly the blue-collar type that stays on the list and does his role.

Different players. Like I said I like Dumont but if he was up for trade last year no one was giving us a player and a top ten pick for him. Might have got a late second-rounder for him.

No one says Nic Nat is sh*t, just massively overhyped by commentators.

We're all pretend football analysts on here. What would make you think otherwise?

And it's "there" not "their". If you have a cheap shot at me after I make a reasonable comment then your rubbish spelling is fair game.
He would be one of the first picked every week. He is a footballer. He’s one of the few players that can play inside and out. It’s sad that he’s criminally underrated by our own supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back