Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

No Mork don't be silly, favorite sons never have poor patches or poor form.
I have to say if he was not dropped for THE PATHETIC poor form that he has displayed and the form the vast majority of supporters are commenting on, then he was dropped for the wrong reasons. Who says they get everything right.

How ludicrous is the argument. Daniel gets picked every week because he runs and chases and guards space !!!! mind you not very well in recent times.
But hey he has not been dropped. Never mind he can't lay a tackle, can't get his hands on the ball can't kick goals and is always second to the ball but hey he has good pressure stats because he is always second to the ball it is hilarious.
Playing in three grand finals has absolutely nothing to do with his form atm. What it has done is distort peoples ability to criticise poor form when it is warranted, for no other reason than he has managed to play in three grand finals and not too well at that if i am honest.

Gotta repeat if people cannot admit he has generally played poorly in recent times then they never will. Sort of makes having any sort of rational discussion about him pointless.

So Hardwick and co play him in a role for so long that he needs to be dropped. Maybe we are not looking at the right person to blame here. But wait in this magical world of footy at Richmond those in charge never ever get anything wrong so it must be something imaginary.

What is frustrating is we get our fair share of things wrong, there are supporters who say one thing and agree but in reality wont have a bar of us getting anything wrong ever. It actually stops balanced debate on simple things like who is playing well and who is not.

So again i have to ask what is Rioli doing so well that warrants him getting a game atm. Again i will say don't say running hard guarding space tackling its been non existent.

I would answer that by saying he is pleasing the only people that counts

Cyril was not a renowned goal kicking small fwd he was more renowned for his defensive work just like Daniel is. Chasing harrassing tackling doing the odd x factor thing. Lol he is now a gun when a debate about him and his cousin comes up. I remember most supporters other than Hawthorn supporters being very critical of him. Ah the basics Tackling chasing harassing running hard, getting a bit of ball, kicking the odd goal, seems Cyril did all those BASIC things way better than Daniel does but Cyril was a gun lol.
The only real difference is Cyril did ALL things better that is both offensive and defensive. He didn't just do a couple of things like guarding space and hang his hat on that.

For that matter it seems that fat lazy slow no good bum Dean Rioli was better too. If he was so poor what does it say about Daniel, more goals More disposals, More inside fifties, more clearances, more one percenters more contested ball, but hey even for a fat lazy bum like Dean it was not hard to out do Daniel in so many areas.

Lol at the logic they play him supposedly in the one role for so long they have to send him back to refresh AND FIND A BIT OF BALL he is not being dropped though.
Why would they play a bloke in a role for so long that they know his form is going to drop away to the point where they have to send him back to the two's to refresh lol.

Last time i looked this time around he needed refreshing after just two weeks !!!!!! Why are they not resting Castagna while they are at it both are expected to perform the same roles doesnt stop Jason from being involved even when he is not getting the ball.

Ah the logic lets hang onto every word the coaches say and take it as gospel, the naivety is gobsmacking. It makes me wonder just how old some posters really are.

While on supporters i suppose those who are critical of his form are not seeing what they see. Atm that would be the vast majority who are very critical of his performances atm. nope the whole lot of em are wrong and are only haters what ever that means.

I still think if you cannot be critical of his current form then i can think of no scenario of when you would be. Hmm blinkered comes to mind when it comes to a favorite.

I love forums like this, as they allow us mere mortals to voice our opinions - and so we should!

But sometimes I really wonder if people here actually honestly think they're in a better position to make a judgement call on player inclusions/omissions, than our coaching panel (who have guided us to 3 flags in 4 years).

Cyril one flag versus Daniel three flags in first five seasons.

Hardwick highlighted this point at length, there is a reason he has three premiership medals. He is a team player and plays his role really well.
Cyril was 10,000 times the player Daniel is. Thats a terrible comparison.

Cyril was 10,000 times the player Daniel is. Thats a terrible comparison.

I didn’t make the comparison, I was answering someone who for some unknowable reason picks Cyril Rioli(probably the best small forward ever) to compare Daniel Rioli with. It was asked(again for an unknowable reason because noone else brought it up) what Dan has done in his first 6 seasons to compare with Cyril in his first 6 seasons.

Thus, my answer.

Cyril was not a renowned goal kicking small fwd ou cannot be critical of his current form then i can think of no scenario of when you would be. Hmm blinkered comes to mind when it comes to a favorite.

He played 189 games and went at 1.5 goals a game
Not many small fowards average that type of goals for nearly 200 games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it's a criticism leper had about rioli on s.e.n. that is he seems to have lost his appetite to tackle which was a strength. both butler and hig have been big losses in that respect.
Butler a tacking machine? Had a good 2020. Seems to have fallen off a cliff performance~wise. Higgins can play OK. No doubt. But happy to have Higgins salary available.
As a team we have been playing relatively poorly. The Port game was finals intensity. We were just OK. Last night was an incredible performance by all 22 out there. Kudos to Aarts & Rioli cos I would've had Rioli in the VFL 2 weeks ago & dropped Aarts last week.

12 disposals, 5 tackles 2 goals what more do people want?

And none of those things were what mattered most.
He was closing space and closing down the potential to switch by closing the space with KMAC. Very important player and so underrated for what he does it's not funny.

Now, Im not saying he doesn't frustrate me sometimes, but I am lover of all things Richmond.

If his role is mentally tough for him, how about making it fun for him?

You know, how the club has paraded its culture to be, FUN!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Looked like he was having fun last night

He played well enough, but like Aarts what small forward wouldn't play well enough in an 80pt shellacking. Like most players on the fringe, and that is not many at Richmond, need to repeat that in bigger games.
Been pretty bloody good in atleast a couple of our prelim finals. Dont come much bigger than that

Been pretty bloody good in atleast a couple of our prelim finals. Dont come much bigger than that
Yes he has, I'm not bashing him, just that for the last couple of years, since he was injured and since he copped some big hits, he has been in and out of the side. So he is on the fringe. He is still a class player when in form, but it seems to me not quite as quick as he used to be. Maybe the extra kg's that he carries now has taken the edge off his pace, it does some players, so he is not performing as well as he did some years back.

Butler a tacking machine? Had a good 2020. Seems to have fallen off a cliff performance~wise. Higgins can play OK. No doubt. But happy to have Higgins salary available.
As a team we have been playing relatively poorly. The Port game was finals intensity. We were just OK. Last night was an incredible performance by all 22 out there. Kudos to Aarts & Rioli cos I would've had Rioli in the VFL 2 weeks ago & dropped Aarts last week.

Butler is having his 18 season all over again. He was good last year when allowed to run fwd. as soon as that get shuts down like it was in big games end of last year, he is next to ******* useless. He isn’t a Richmond man in the sense he is a front running selfish footballer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back