Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

Have only seen last quarter and a half. I hardly sighted him in that time.

In fairness to him he had 5 tackles although interesting stat was only one tackle inside fifty. He snagged a couple of goals and was involved in six score involvements. Was it enough well i don't know i need to watch the whole game.
It seems all our forwards had decent games and so they should have with an opposition like that.

12 disposals, 5 tackles 2 goals what more do people want?

Clearly, a couple more possessions and similar stats every week.
I'd be happy for him t contribute like last night one in every three or four weeks, not the current one in six or seven weeks as he's done in recent times.
You can continue to play a guy for 22 weeks and if he pays three good one, three good ones are not the barometer. The crap 18 games is the barometer.

Clearly, a couple more possessions and similar stats every week.
I'd be happy for him t contribute like last night one in every three or four weeks, not the current one in six or seven weeks as he's done in recent times.
You can continue to play a guy for 22 weeks and if he pays three good one, three good ones are not the barometer. The crap 18 games is the barometer.
well he's already played at least 2 games like that this year.

youre expecting him to be a 15 disposal per game, 44+ goal per year kicker, or else he is a dud. no wonder youre disappointed.

well he's already played at least 2 games like that this year.

youre expecting him to be a 15 disposal per game, 44+ goal per year kicker, or else he is a dud. no wonder youre disappointed.

No, I'd like him to be consistent.
Let's be honest, he was fair to good last night, but it was a step up from the crap he delivered in two games this season and a lot better than some of the rubbish he served up last year.
Still doesn't go hard enough, but some will continue to put him on a pedestal no matter what.
He's had more chances after non-performing than most Richmond players - past and present.
Aarts outplayed him again last night, but it's funny how plenty want him gone.

If Daniel Rioli kicks 30+ Goals combined with his tackling , pressure and Run

The Daniel Rioli haters can eat a D***

Butler is having his 18 season all over again. He was good last year when allowed to run fwd. as soon as that get shuts down like it was in big games end of last year, he is next to ******* useless. He isn’t a Richmond man in the sense he is a front running selfish footballer
King highlighted the cheating small forwards at the aints

Aarts was much better against the Saints as well, but his output in previous games was even less than Daniel's, the criticism was warranted
And yet Rioli was the one dropped, arts doesn’t have any footy iq

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was much better last night but he hates the tough stuff. Doesn't go in hard and fumbles under physical pressure.

Hes actually fumbling under no pressure as well though. In 2016/17 this guy was our cleanest player with the footy and hardly ever lost a 1 on 1. Now he fumbles everything and loses most 1 on 1s? how does that happen? It shouldnt be confidence, hes won 3 premierships so is playing with house money. His running is still elite but if he recaptures his skill from the early days he would be (and should be) in our top 5 players.

He is a good player no doubt. He is a very classy player, but he hasn't been getting a lot of it and has been dropped twice now, so it's not all betr and skittles.

I'm in the camp that thinks he's not the same player as he was before the foot injury in the '17 GF, just hasn't had the same evasion skill since. Probably bulking up more hasn't helped either. I actually give him a lot of credit for how much hard work he's done to remain a player the coaching staff clearly value.

I was irritated during the Saints game at how constantly our players were scragged by their opponent when running to a loose ball with not a single free kick paid. Rioli was getting absolutely worn like a cheap suit every contest (he often is) and it definitely contributed heavily to his ball handling.

I'm all for a bit of intermittent contact pressure from the trailing player, but when it's a constant two-handed hold over several metres and it's clearly being used as a tactic - deliberately be second to the ball, scrag for all your worth and try to force the turnover/stoppage by making the player first to the ball mishandle it - then that needs to be cracked down on hard, IMO.

The player first to the ball, making the play should always be rewarded and protected, not the overtly scragging trailer.

I'm in the camp that thinks he's not the same player as he was before the foot injury in the '17 GF, just hasn't had the same evasion skill since. Probably bulking up more hasn't helped either. I actually give him a lot of credit for how much hard work he's done to remain a player the coaching staff clearly value.

I was irritated during the Saints game at how constantly our players were scragged by their opponent when running to a loose ball with not a single free kick paid. Rioli was getting absolutely worn like a cheap suit every contest (he often is) and it definitely contributed heavily to his ball handling.

I'm all for a bit of intermittent contact pressure from the trailing player, but when it's a constant two-handed hold over several metres and it's clearly being used as a tactic - deliberately be second to the ball, scrag for all your worth and try to force the turnover/stoppage by making the player first to the ball mishandle it - then that needs to be cracked down on hard, IMO.

The player first to the ball, making the play should always be rewarded and protected, not the overtly scragging trailer.

Well, that's just one of the problems with the game these days. For 100 years the player first to the ball was rewarded; the guys who had that ability, desire and desperation to be first to it became legends. Now players are taught to scrag, scrap and allow the opponent to be first to it so you can lay a tackle or bottle it in to win a free kick. I don't know if they realise just how ridiculous it is or they don't care.

And the deliberate OOB/behind nonsense coupled with the new standing on the mark rule and 6-6-6 bs they've introduced has bastardised the game. Not to mention the high tackle crap and HTB interpretations that change not only week-to-week and game-to-game but quarter-to-quarter.

If the Tigers weren't contenders I'd still watch them but I doubt I'd watch other games.

Well, that's just one of the problems with the game these days. For 100 years the player first to the ball was rewarded; the guys who had that ability, desire and desperation to be first to it became legends. Now players are taught to scrag, scrap and allow the opponent to be first to it so you can lay a tackle or bottle it in to win a free kick. I don't know if they realise just how ridiculous it is or they don't care.

And the deliberate OOB/behind nonsense coupled with the new standing on the mark rule and 6-6-6 bs they've introduced has bastardised the game. Not to mention the high tackle crap and HTB interpretations that change not only week-to-week and game-to-game but quarter-to-quarter.

If the Tigers weren't contenders I'd still watch them but I doubt I'd watch other games.

Couldn't agree more.

The only rule change in that part of the game I've ever supported was the change made to stop players dropping the ball as soon as they're tackled.

Hes actually fumbling under no pressure as well though. In 2016/17 this guy was our cleanest player with the footy and hardly ever lost a 1 on 1. Now he fumbles everything and loses most 1 on 1s? how does that happen? It shouldnt be confidence, hes won 3 premierships so is playing with house money. His running is still elite but if he recaptures his skill from the early days he would be (and should be) in our top 5 players.
Yeah this ^ - thats the difference between him stepping up from average performance to good performance is turning the fumbles in to one touch / clean possessions - especially when hes only getting 10-15 possies - he needs to make them count - he may still be a bit rusty and I'm backing him to tidy this up.

He needs to carry a ball around with him all week to get his feel back

Needs to watch Liam Ryan.
You are kidding right?
Ryan only runs one way he’s kicked the same amount of goals for the season as Rioli
Stop judging players off highlight reels and media hype

He kicks straight on the weekend & he is having a good day, honestly small forwards are hard to rate in today game because of the requirements their not just there for goals they are there pressure acts, off the ball running(sprint efforts) that's why Pickett in the side he's work rate is quite high.

Had the most sprints stat again.

2nd repeat sprints on ground after Aarts

He was better. But still what’s with his constant fumbling??? He’s the opposite of a one touch player. Continually goes to ground. Broken tackles. Say no more.
You’re being too harsh Sol, he was ok on Thursday night and I agree, was a little fumbly, hopefully that disappears from his game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back