Player Watch #18: Jake Melksham – back for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I think what's happened here is that Goodwin identified Melksham as a player that he thought would be useful on the team, but that Melksham was a little bit iffy on leaving Essendon. As a result, we had to offer him a decent 4 year contract to move (because he wouldn't move for a more modest two year contract) and once he'd accepted those terms, we couldn't exactly go to Essendon and say that a guy we're willing to pay $1.6 million for is only worth pick forty-something. Like the rest of you I'm a bit unsure about this one, but I'm still prepared to say that this administration seems to know what it's doing and that I'm willing to give Melksham a chance before I start wailing and gnashing my teeth. Nonetheless, I think I speak for all of us when I say that we've been stung too many times in the past to be wildly optimistic about this deal.

I'm in full wait and see mode. Can't get excited but can't be angry based on no real measurement on ROI

With Goodwin and McCartney both having worked closely with him, they must be giving a big tick of approval for us to be offering pick 25!!! If Goodwin can turn him back into an honest footballer, and get a solid contribution over another 100+ games, then well done Goodwin! But geez it looks like a crazy Vossy selection this one!!

Personally I think it is a huge mistake. Like most on here, third rounder is probably about the right trade. Even then I still think we are getting slightly robbed. The big problem for me, is that we have recruited ANOTHER footballer who's best attribute isn't his kicking! And if we recruit Bugg as well, that is 2 blokes who chop the ball on a regular basis! WTF are we doing??? I'd rather take huge risks with Yarran and Bennell who are both elite kicks than go with Melksham and Bugg who granted are strong guys, but struggle to hit a target!! Bloody hell...
Oddly enough, his best attribute is actually his kicking. Yes he butchers it here and there but it is more his general decision making that gets him in trouble. If there is a use for Milkshake then it is using him to deliver into the forward 50 which he can do with some penetration...

Melksham has a lot of potential still...

What he can do is run and tag oppositions best midfielders. He thrives on being a loose man midfielder when he gets the opportunity to do so. Because he won't be tagged as much and can find space.

He is a great kick for goal from long range or on the angle. Really good kick..

The issues he had at Essendon were he can be a bit fumbly and turns the ball over a bit and can go missing..

But I'd imagine Melbourne would be looking at his weaknesses and would be looking at ways to turn it around..

He might really lift with a fresh start..

What he can do is run and tag oppositions best midfielders. He thrives on being a loose man midfielder when he gets the opportunity to do so. Because he won't be tagged as much and can find space.

The issues he had at Essendon were he can be a bit fumbly and turns the ball over a bit and can go missing..

But I'd imagine Melbourne would be looking at his weaknesses and would be looking at ways to turn it around..

Work it baby!

What he can do is run and tag oppositions best midfielders.
So can Jordie McKenzie and he's ******* atrocious
He thrives on being a loose man midfielder when he gets the opportunity to do so. Because he won't be tagged as much and can find space.
So he's an alright player when no one is near him?

Sorry but who doesn't?

My only hope is that this is a "needs a fresh start" case and he thrives...

Followed a good year in 2013 with 2 ordinary ones.

Does a bit of everything through the midfield but nothing at an elite level. Isn't really an inside player or outside player, turns it over too much but can also kick nicely and off both feet, has good run and decent speed but not at the top level for either.

I have heard we are interested in getting him to play half back and with Cross and Howe gone and Grimes, Terlich below AFL standard it is a position where we could do with some mature reinforcement.

He could help us, but we are giving up a premium to find out.

Oh piss off MB, Grimes is not below AFL standard and is really getting severely underrated by a lot of this board.

He remind me of Butt Head:

butt-head-150x150.png
melksham_jake_280.jpg

I'm nervous about this dude. It does seem a bit like he is a special project of Goodwin - they worked well together in 2013 so ... I'm coaching now (several years later) come to MY club, we will be great together!

I'm likely misjudging Goodwin and possibly Melks too, but the way it seems to have come about makes me nervous.

I'll bookmark it and hope to be proved wrong. If wrong I will do an unspecified but harmful thing to myself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always thought Melksham has good athletic attributes and good skill. His major failing is his awareness and football brain. Goodwin would know him better than most and with a weak draft...

Hopefully it will be looked back on as a win-win.

Enjoy him, at worst you'll get a solid role player with flashes of utterly transcendent football. At best you might get something a lont more than that.

I can't see him regressing any further, could take a few steps forward too if you back him in to play in the guts and he gets his tail up.

Thanks for pick 25. Sorry we couldn't give you anything in return.

I will say that we definitely got overs for Jake. Mid 30's sounds about right in terms of his value.

In regards to whether he is any good or not, this is how I assess him as a player.
Strengths
1. Has the ability to make the incredible pass. Has a long raking right foot and kicks with great penetration. Loves a long goal.
2. Hard at the ball and in the contest.
3. Can perform the tagging role but not in the Ben Jacobs mould; he'll hunt the ball himself.
4. Hasn't really been injured if at all in his career thus far.

Weaknesses
1. Whilst he can make the amazing play, he seems to chance himself with making high risk, high reward decisions. Unfortunately, there will be several times in the gam where you think, WTF? Needs to play the percentages a little more.
2. Never been a big ball winner, even in the best stretch of his career (second half of 2013).
3. Undisciplined and his "tough guy" act looks ridiculous when you are getting pummelled. Gets wound up easily and seems to misdirect his energy in the wrong manner.

As a whole, I don't think he is the worst pick up. He was never as bad as you guys are making him out to be; I even read somewhere that you thought he was going to be delisted anyway which was untrue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back