Player Watch #18: Jake Melksham – back for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Football is a cruel sport.
If Collingwood was to bow out, I would have been going hard for Melbourne, to see Jake get his deserved flag.
Sad, annoyed and just plain frustrated.

Life can be fu**en wrong at times.
And this is one of those times.

Sorry Dees fans, I am strangely, emotionally shattered, way more than I probably should be.

In the 2018 elimination final vs the Cats, Melk getting stuck into Selwood on the way to the interchange bench and winning us a free as Tom Hawkins was lining up for goal.

In the 2018 elimination final vs the Cats, Melk getting stuck into Selwood on the way to the interchange bench and winning us a free as Tom Hawkins was lining up for goal.
We were such a lippy bunch of pricks back then 😂

Love Melk! Same with Hibberd, saw them both as Essendon players coming over, but they're both Demons forever now.

So happy they came over to us after post the drugs saga, saw a good club in us on the rise, and we're still strong now, I reckon they'd be very happy with the choice they made.

Hope he stays on in some capacity, great clubman, demon for life.

Just speaking on his career though, I was annoyed when we got him, thought it was a ******* terrible idea as I considered him nothing more than a faux tough guy and inconsistent as , had him as a delist candidate in 2-3 years. How ones opinion can change. A pleasure to watch when in full flight in 2018, so dangerous around goal and a fantastic field kick over a distance, grew into a great clubman and leader as others have mentioned. Never got the sooks up when dropped, worked his ass off to get another chance and made the most of his opportunities when they presented themselves. He should be so bloody proud of his year this season, many of us had written him off (including myself) and he made us look stupid. ****** love you Melk.
Same. Was pretty annoyed when we were linked to him as I saw him as a flaky campaigner of a player. He didn’t really impress early 2017 either as a HBF/wing and might have even been dropped IIRC.

However, when he found his role as a medium forward that could use his body and skills well he was bloody terrific (pretty much a forerunner to Fritsch). So many highlights particularly from 2018. He was one of the very few who played quite well in 2019 before injuries hit.

The rise of Fritsch and losing a yard of pace saw him slide to being a fringe player in 2021. He’s really had to fight for his spot in the team and even on the list the last few years and he’s never dropped his head or cracked the shits. He could’ve been forgiven for being publicly devastated after that injury yesterday but he was still there pumping up his teammates. He’s basically gone from whipping boy to gun to whipping boy to loved and respected Demon. If this pack of campaigners bring home the bacon on GF day and one them doesn’t dedicate their premiership medal to the Melkman, I’m jumping the bloody fence and pinching one for him.

Same. Was pretty annoyed when we were linked to him as I saw him as a flaky campaigner of a player. He didn’t really impress early 2017 either as a HBF/wing and might have even been dropped IIRC.

However, when he found his role as a medium forward that could use his body and skills well he was bloody terrific (pretty much a forerunner to Fritsch). So many highlights particularly from 2018. He was one of the very few who played quite well in 2019 before injuries hit.

The rise of Fritsch and losing a yard of pace saw him slide to being a fringe player in 2021. He’s really had to fight for his spot in the team and even on the list the last few years and he’s never dropped his head or cracked the shits. He could’ve been forgiven for being publicly devastated after that injury yesterday but he was still there pumping up his teammates. He’s basically gone from whipping boy to gun to whipping boy to loved and respected Demon. If this pack of campaigners bring home the bacon on GF day and one them doesn’t dedicate their premiership medal to the Melkman, I’m jumping the bloody fence and pinching one for him.
Just take Jordon's 2021 medal off him and give it to Melksham now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melk created the most hilarious footballing moment I’ve ever seen live.

2020. Melbourne v GC, Giants Stadium. The call had gone out; 250 people were allowed to attend. We are sitting in the chairman’s area on Level 1, contained away from the players due to COVID.

Very surreal, the stadium was empty apart from this one section which was very very loud.

The mini crowd live up to the requirement. We are vocal in every way.

One Melbourne supporter clearly doesn’t like Melk. Players are coming off for half time, this bloke yells some abuse.

What we didn’t realise is because of the small numbers, the players could hear every word.

All of a sudden, Melk looks up. Eyeballs him. Starts replying, yelling abuse back.

Gets so bad a couple of Dees players have to calm him down.

Showed me he is the definition of white line fever.

Has definitely given us a lot of joy over the years. Some frustration too, but never because of lack of effort. Really impressive comeback this year, a huge shame it ends like this.

On a personal note, my Mrs got me a cameo vid from Melk for my bday in late 2020 (he was the most reasonably priced Dees player she recognised) and he predicted we'd be making a strong tilt at finals for 2021 in that clip! Flag was all on him. What a man.

Hated him at Essendon but loved him as soon as he put on the Red and Blue. Provided us with many highlights. His field kicking and goal kicking has been great. One of those very valuable players that can kick just as well on both sides on the body. If this is the end I thank him for everything he has done in the Red and Blue. He looks like a guy with great balance in life and football and wish nothing but the best

Damn that's sad news. Really hope we rookie him as a show of good faith - seems like a great clubman to have around even if he's unlikely to play next year.

Feel so flat about this. Couldn’t imagine what’s going on in his head.
Playing career best footy and so damn close to finals.

MFC just confirmed it’s an ACL 😕
Doctor Who Reaction GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back