Retired #18: Michael Hurley šŸ» - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

Remove this Banner Ad

18 - Hurley.jpg
Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
yep. can not fault his endeavour or passion. he always takes a few games to get going every year, but heā€™s one of the very few that we can carry in doing so.

itā€™s sad but iā€™d be okay with him wanting out if this year pans out the way i expect it will
we can afford to let him go. And, never thought i'd say, i'd be happy to see him go somewhere and get success while we sort our shite out

Maybe GWS can give us our 1st rounder back for him.

I find it hard to believe that Michael and Cale don't care that they were taken out of the leadership group for Daniher etc
We reduced the group from 7 to 5. Not sure if we went through the same voting on agreed leadership traits thing as we have previously though, it hasn't been stated.

I find it hard to believe that Michael and Cale don't care that they were taken out of the leadership group for Daniher etc
I find it hard to believe that leader's won't lead whether or not they're in a supposed "group" assigned. IIRC James Kelly wasn't part of our leadership group in his two years here.

We reduced the group from 7 to 5. Not sure if we went through the same voting on agreed leadership traits thing as we have previously though, it hasn't been stated.
I was one who thought Hooker should have taken over from Jobe as Captain, so I was never going to be happy seeing him out of the leadership group. Whether it 5 or 7, to me Hurley and Hooker should easily be in it. Only at clubs packed with leaders would these two miss out IMO. Given their passion and regardless of reason I find it hard to think they wouldn't be peeved at it to some degree.

I find it hard to believe that leader's won't lead whether or not they're in a supposed "group" assigned. IIRC James Kelly wasn't part of our leadership group in his two years here.
They will lead because it's in their nature. But really if your non leadership group players lead more than your leadership group players, what's the point of the leadership group?

They will lead because it's in their nature. But really if your non leadership group players lead more than your leadership group players, what's the point of the leadership group?
There isn't. Assign a captain and if they miss, someone else can go toss the coin.

There isn't. Assign a captain and if they miss, someone else can go toss the coin.
Agree with this, but the problem with having a leadership group is you're telling the world these guys are leaders. You decide not to choose some of your best leaders in that group and what message are you telling the world? While to a large extent it would be water off a duck's back to Hurley and Hooker, it still is shitty and something they would note.

Agree with this, but the problem with having a leadership group is you're telling the world these guys are leaders. You decide not to choose some of your best leaders in that group and what message are you telling the world? While to a large extent it would be water off a duck's back to Hurley and Hooker, it still is shitty and something they would note.

Maybe we have a popularity group instead of a leadership group. I think it would make a difference who's in the leadership group. It's telling the rest of the group who they should be looking up to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you should be captain and toss the coin on your birthday - like in u10s
I had to captain against Damian Monkhorst's son in Under 12s and he broke my nose with his knee when he charged for a mark.

Kid was like 80kg at 11 years old, I had no hope

It means it doesn't matter.

Bullshit, our captain is weak as piss and a lovely bloke and that style of leadership is obviously returning zero results. At least Hurley seems to have some mongrel and actually give a s**t. Heppell just trots our the same old cliche s**t after each crap performance, worsfold seems the same unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Said it before. Hurley should be Captain. Doesn't squib, won't be bullied, hard as nails, hurts after a loss.

And gets bowled over by a first year player last year in the Hawks game to clinch a loss.

Gets the ball spilled in a tackle by some guy 20 kgs lighter in the St Kilda game for them to rebound and score a goal.

Gets outbodied by medium sized forwards but hey lets make him captain. Symbolic of exactly where we are at!

One thing Hurls has to get out of his game is is wrapping an arm around the waste of his opponent when they are wrestling. He is not actually holding with his hand but the umps are calling him on it 2 or 3 times a game so far. It is a bit of a BS call but it seems that is how they are going to call it so he needs to come up with plan B.

Bullshit, our captain is weak as piss and a lovely bloke and that style of leadership is obviously returning zero results. At least Hurley seems to have some mongrel and actually give a s**t. Heppell just trots our the same old cliche s**t after each crap performance, worsfold seems the same unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mate he just got nominated for MOTR for running back with the flight of the ball... Your comments couldn't have come at a worse time.

And gets bowled over by a first year player last year in the Hawks game to clinch a loss.

Gets the ball spilled in a tackle by some guy 20 kgs lighter in the St Kilda game for them to rebound and score a goal.

Gets outbodied by medium sized forwards but hey lets make him captain. Symbolic of exactly where we are at!
Captaincy and infallibility aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, I defy you to name a human being who is infallible, and you can't name yourself because that doesn't count. I suggested Hurley should be Captain near the beginning of 2018, coming off an All Australian year. Captaincy in my view is more than being able to beat your opponent, although that helps in terms of being able to demonstrate leadership. Hurls also keeps trying in spite of what he's asked to do. He acquits himself as best he can. The wasted years as a forward showed that about him clearly.

You're cherry picking his losses to uphold your vitriol. His wins have vastly outshone the losses and he continues to play with heart. I'm glad Francis gets to do his apprenticeship under Hurley and Hooker. We're lucky. At the moment, it's Hurley's leadership that's been demonstrative, more so than Heppell's, and I reckon he would make a better Captain.

Mate he just got nominated for MOTR for running back with the flight of the ball... Your comments couldn't have come at a worse time.

Ha ha lovely use of sarcasm

Underrated tonight but he gave Tom McDonald an absolute bath.
Ambrose was on T-Mac most of the night. He seemed to rotate through Petracca and Melksham most of the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back