Retired #18: Michael Hurley šŸ» - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

Remove this Banner Ad

18 - Hurley.jpg
Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
Said it before, and I'll say it again. Hurley is the definition of inconsistent. Nearly cost us the game in the end. Completely unreliable in a 1 on 1 and only shining moments were when he was peeling off affecting a spoil.

Very, very ordinary.

Yikes.

I wish we would just play him on a key forward. Granted that he got beaten by Sturt when he shouldn't have been but the responsibility of playing on someone seems to bring his game together.

I can't work out whether it's because he's physically incapable these days or if we're blind to the reality that he's mediocre in the roles as an interceptor but if this is Hurley there really is no reason he should play on next year.

It may be round 1 but it feels like it's been 12 months of this footy.

Last edited:
Single handedly almost lost us the game. Has he lost the ability to compete body on body, because he was absolutely pathetic at times today. His field kicking was atrocious as well.

Arguably the worst game Iā€™ve seen him play. A weekā€™s suspension might be a blessing in disguise.

Had another shoulder reconstruction before Christmas, but he did the second half of preseason. He was still in non-contact training up until the week before the first Marsh game.

He's usually a slow to warm up type too I think, and he was acting captain today in Heppell's absence. Not sure if that means much beyond calling heads or tails at the start but yea.

Think heā€™ll come good enough defensively to maintain his spot but why does everyone at the club still pretend he has good disposal?

We have a back line with Francis, Redman, Ridley and Saad who all have the tools to be really dangerous when they take the kick outs but the plan is to have Hurley take them? He hasnā€™t been a good kick since 2016.

I'm no expert but often when he gets beaten it looks to me like it's because he's preoccupied with initiating body contact before going for the footy instead of just going for the footy.

This x 1000! Getting beaten in the flight by a first gamer is unacceptable. Then when he gets beaten, he's instantaneously looking to blame someone else (either a teammate or an umpire). infuriating to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee we burn blokes here quickly.

Dual AA who is heart and soul of our club and won us multiple games. Ill happily give him one bad game in round one after shoulder surgery....

If he was to play well the next week I'm sure we would praise him just as quickly. He did some terrible things and it has been observed. Not sure we have burned him...

$2k fine for the strike on Sturt.

Hurley has escaped with a $2000 fine for his late strike on Fremantle youngster Sam Sturt in a spoiling contest, avoiding a suspension after the incident was graded as 'careless' and not 'intentional' by Match Review Officer Michael Christian.

I wonder how suspensions will be handled if the season is cancelled..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back