Retired #18: Michael Hurley šŸ» - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

Remove this Banner Ad

18 - Hurley.jpg
Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
Doubt the bear will return to his glory, All - Australian days of 2015 - 2017 but is playing a role for our defensive group. His last 3 weeks have been the best he has looked all year bar a few dump kicks from the last line of defence.

His kicking, although not what it once was is still viable enough and his leadership has been top notch for the group as a whole. I have always like Hurley, yeah, maybe thrown him up as trade bait but glad he is one of our own. A likely one club player this late in his career, his resume is as impressive as any player from that 2008 which, not a superdraft has given the AFL a large number of 100+ game players (35/79).

Most of the comment about Hurley's season has been off the mark - He was average for two games, while he's been rock solid in the other five games - Rumours of his demise have been greatly exaggerated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of the comment about Hurley's season has been off the mark - He was average for two games, while he's been rock solid in the other five games - Rumours of his demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Perhaps Iā€™ve not paid enough attention but I didnā€™t know people were potting him.

Step up those who did, Iā€™ll fight you.

Hopefully but he does struggle on ruckman height forwards like Hipwood. Will really need the team defense to help him.
He dominated Brisbane last year without Hooker, and that was with McInerney and McStay.

Hipwood doesnt really play like a 200cm player while McStay out will help us.

I have been stunned by the amount of people giving him stick for how he's played. He is our backline general, directs the whole line. The only thing that has declined a little is his kicking, he used to be elite and now he has one howler a game.
Is the howler the one where he gets the ball chipped backwards to him, then he pretends to assess options within a 45Ā° range of view before taking his time to lob it down the line to the oppo ruckman? Because I'd have thought he has a few of those.

Is the howler the one where he gets the ball chipped backwards to him, then he pretends to assess options within a 45Ā° range of view before taking his time to lob it down the line to the oppo ruckman? Because I'd have thought he has a few of those.
Are you sure it's a ruckman, or is it just our mosquito fleet making a Bont/Fyfe type look like a ruckman?

It's like he gets impatient & says to himself "I'll just kick it to a 1 on 2 & if that fails, I'll sit it on someone's head & hope for the best".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back