#19 - An Idea....

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't like the idea of racial demarcation of numbers. What if, in any given draft years there are no (or poor quality) indigenous recruits. What happens if we have a post-footy problem?

Let's aim to have a history book full of Eddys, and save the number tradition for families, friends or coincidences.

You're onto something there - player with the fiercest beard to inherit #6

A playoff for #6 each year between

- The player with the fiercest beard
- The player backing into the most packs
- The player who has put on the least muscle since drafting
- The player who is the most one-sided
- The player who smiles the least

(little back story to this one)

Myself and a mate who's indigenous came up with this idea during 4 or so bottles of wine (he still loves the idea ). The next day I woke to find not only this thread that I dont recall starting, but an email confirmation from the Team Store advising my new Eddie Bettes guernsey was on the way!

Good ol drunk Q <3

Agree with thylacine60 and The Old Dark Navy's

I understand the reasoning why you'd do something like that.

But listen to their fight. Listen to the entire argument behind Black Lives Matter.

They're not asking to be treated better than anyone else. They're asking to be treated as equals.

You don't do that by continuing segregation and differentiating between indigenous and otherwise.

To me there is no difference between the #19 of Betts and the #6 of Kade Simpson. Both extraordinary contributors to the Carlton Football Club in their own right.

Players already have a a tradition of handing down their guernsey number to a future star. Who Eddie chooses to hand the 19 down to is his decision, indigenous or otherwise, small forward or otherwise, and his reasoning should be respected.
I think that is a really great way to look at it.
I'd argue that in Australia that indigenous people have to be treated differently, as they are a much more marginalized group, to get the same opportunity.
Being treated the same as everyone else isn't exactly fair when a big majority has had a head start.
I'd also argue that to run of the mill supporters like myself Simpson and Betts are both just champions, but to the Indigenous community he is much more.
Respect your view on it, certainly understand your point

Can you imagine an indigenous kid being drafted to carlton and accepting the #19 off Eddie, that’s the stuff of hoarding Kleenex!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back