HB Matthew Broadbent, Jack Hombsch, Jasper Pittard
C Kane Cornes, Ollie Wines, Hamish Hartlett
HF Robbie Gray, Justin Westhoff, Angus Monfries
F Jake Neade, Jay Schulz, Chad Wingard
Fol Matthew Lobbe, Travis Boak, Brad Ebert
I/C Matt White, Jared Polec, Andrew Moore, Cam O'Shea

Emg Jarman Impey, Kane Mitchell, Aaron Young

In - No Change

Weather Forecast - top of 22 degrees, mostly sunny, 10% chance of rain, light winds
---

The last time we met - Round 23 at Paterson's Stadium - Fremantle d Port by 8 points

It was a blow-by-blow slog early in the massive battle for 4th, with Port dominating from the middle early but not capitalizing on their opportunities. Fremantle's efficiency kept the scoreline close going into half time.

Early in the 3rd quarter, it looked like the Dockers were going to run out of legs (6 day break vs 8 day breaks can do that to you) and Port pulled ahead to a 12 point lead. But Ross's halftime spray must have put a rocket up the boys because we came out firing - and handed him a 9 goal turnaround. After the smoke cleared, Dockers had a 38 point lead just ten minutes from the end of the game.

It was the longest 10 minutes, however, as Port came home with a wet sail and scored 5 goals in a row. Dockers had (intentionally) spent all their petrol tickets in the 3rd to ice the game and backed themselves to hold on. No more interchanges were left in the last 5 minutes - Freo had gone all-in. Thankfully, it was just enough to get us over the line over a fast finishing Power.

---

Straight Swaps

Ballantyne was the hero in the Round 23 Docker assault, after having only 4 touches in the first half. He's not going to be playing this game due to a broken jaw requiring surgery, and much has been made about what a massive loss he is to the side. Listening to media pundits, it's no Ballas, no Freo.

What people are forgetting is that there is one player coming in that didn't play in the last game - Nathan Fyfe. Just like Ballas, Fyfe has won games off his own boot a few times this year and gives us much needed umph in the midfield. As a straight swap for the super pest, it's not a bad deal.

Johnson played hobbled in Round 23 and still created opportunities for us from the backline. His loss for the season was devastating - until Ibbotson showed us in the QF that he could more than adequately fill those shoes. Silvagni has also slotted into the backline beautifully, and as always, gives great effort and opposition forwards something to think about. Just ask Buddy.

---

* you, injury gods

Admittedly, Fremantle has not had much luck with our injuries at the pointy end of the season. Most concerning is whether or not Micky B will be able to play on today, after having been in a moonboot all week. The loss of Barlow in the midfield will not bode well against Port's strong midfield, when it was an arm-wrestle in that area the last time.

---

The other narratives

Sudden death between 4th and 5th. Hardly anything split these two teams the last time, and this is, despite the Dockers' record at Paterson's Stadium, a genuine 50/50 game.

In the Purple's favor:
- 7 day break, no travel (vs 6 day for Port with travel)
- Docker's have honed the game plan for PS, and we will be confident we can knock off any team on our own dung heap at any given time
- the 19th man in the Purple Army.

Factors going against the Purple:
- A difficult slog in the wet versus a very physical opponent (as opposed to Port's training run vs the Tigers witches hats)
- A lot of injuries at the wrong time and key players carrying niggles

Oh, yes - it's also Sonson Walters' 50th game. He will be chomping at the bit to atone for the last quiet game.

Lastly, the Super Pav has definitely found another gear and turned back the clock. He's showing the AFL world that he still has what it takes to carry this team over the line. Hopefully, though, the boys realise that the only way to get it done this week is by having no passengers play.

---

Predictions

It's promising to be a beautiful day for football and a cracking, heart attack-inducing game.

I predict the Purple Army to be in full voice and be the difference in this game. And I am backing our guys to draw on last year's GF loss to get the job done.

Freo by less than a goal, in a thriller.

Don't let me down, guys! And to everyone going to the game - don't let the umps have their way, make yourselves heard. Go Freo!

Last edited:
I think the purple army will help get us over the line tonight. Looking forward to a cracking contest. Port will throw everything they have at us tonight and we are going to need to be right on our toes for this. Could go down to the wire. Don't go quietly Freo fans

:rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:We won't go quietly.
The boys know what's at stake and redemption against Hawthorn in the Prelim will get us into the GF .
Serious Football Teams win these games . RTB and FREMANTLE ARE A SERIOUS TEAM in FINALS
GO FREO
thumbsup.gif
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I am so incredibly nervous :( I don't want the season to end today. I will feel more confident if Barlow gets up, but is it really likely if he has been in a moon boot all week and done no training. I really feel Port will never have a better chance to beat us than today.
They will also have 8000 loud supporters there too.

No player can afford to have a bad day if we are to win. However in RTB we trust. Hurry up 4:45 !!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suma just on 720.

Barlow - will play. Bruised top of foot managed this week.
Crozier - toss up between him and Suban for Sub.
Crowley - to Boak but RTB may have changed his mind overnight.
Taberner - work rate down last week. Encouraged to work hard & show some flair.
Port - we're expecting a quick start. Need to smother that and be with them at Qtr time. They're coming off 6 days. Us off 7. See how they go with that.

I am so incredibly nervous :( I don't want the season to end today. I will feel more confident if Barlow gets up, but is it really likely if he has been in a moon boot all week and done no training. I really feel Port will never have a better chance to beat us than today.
They will also have 8000 loud supporters there too.

It's 8000 now is it? By 5pm there will be 15,000 of them.

My question before was serious. How do we know there are actually 8000 of them? I could accept talk of 3000, maybe even 5000 - but 8000? Seriously? Where is that number coming from? Is there any confirmation or source for that figure?

They would have got about 4000 tickets allocated to them - I don't see how with 46,000 members that the other 39,000 tickets wouldn't have been bought by Freo's members, or that the 'leftovers' for the general public would be so far over and above 4000 that Port fans were able to snap that many up, assuming Freo supporting non-members would have grabbed some too.

8000? Really?

My question before was serious. How do we know there are actually 8000 of them? I could accept talk of 3000, maybe even 5000 - but 8000? Seriously? Where is that number coming from? Is there any confirmation or source for that figure?

They would have got about 4000 tickets allocated to them - I don't see how with 46,000 members that the other 39,000 tickets wouldn't have been bought by Freo's members, or that the 'leftovers' for the general public would be so far over and above 4000 that Port fans were able to snap that many up, assuming Freo supporting non-members would have grabbed some too.

8000? Really?
I thought in finals each team's members are allocated the same number of tickets?

I thought in finals each team's members are allocated the same number of tickets?

Don't think so. Last year down in Geelongistan we were allocated 4000 tickets. Then whatever we could get as GP afterwards. I think the equal ticketing is only when the teams are both from the same place.

It's been a long wait all week for this day to finally arrive, the nerves have kicked in already and I'm praying for a ripper of a contest.

May the best team wins. If its your boys that get I hope they rectify last year's result.

If Barlow was not going to play he would have declared it earlier in the week. That he didn't means he thought he was a decent chance of playing, or in Barlow speak he WILL play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back