Past #2: Brad McKenzie - pick #18 '11 draft - delisted end '16 season - 37 games for NM - Norwood '17

Remove this Banner Ad

Made me laugh watching him on the weekend and the ball was coming his way, the North Ballarat captain yells out go hard Baz! I realise players probably yell this out all the time but being who it was it seemed like there was more to it.

Yep, turn him into an inside mid, too. Just what we need.
To be fair LtK, when he last got dropped all anyone could talk about was his lack of contested game, and that he'd have to be at least a bit inside/outside to be a credible senior player. He's gone back and produced decent tackle/clearance/1% numbers, had a good mix of r50/i50, and finally this week got handball receives and total possessions up. Looks like he's working hard on what he's being asked to do (modulo problems with pace obvs). This is consistent with what I've seen at training, though I admit I'm one of the less critical training watchers.

Dal gets his share of inside/contested ball without being an "inside" player, as does Wells. Surely that's the template for Baz?

Anyway, where we're at this season I'd like to see him get a chance to show he's worth keeping.

To be fair LtK, when he last got dropped all anyone could talk about was his lack of contested game, and that he'd have to be at least a bit inside/outside to be a credible senior player. He's gone back and produced decent tackle/clearance/1% numbers, had a good mix of r50/i50, and finally this week got handball receives and total possessions up. Looks like he's working hard on what he's being asked to do (modulo problems with pace obvs). This is consistent with what I've seen at training, though I admit I'm one of the less critical training watchers.

Dal gets his share of inside/contested ball without being an "inside" player, as does Wells. Surely that's the template for Baz?

Anyway, where we're at this season I'd like to see him get a chance to show he's worth keeping.

As usual, Robbie, you're spot on.

My comment was in the spirit of the mood a few days ago, and I rue the fact that we have a plethora of slow inside mids (two of whom are my favourite players) and insufficient fast outside mids.

Should be delisted (or traded if at all possible) along with quite a few others and redevelop the list.

I like the positive spin and I wish you were proven right RobZ, but I reckon he's had his chances as simply isn't good enough.

We need to get games into games those who are potentially have significant upside. (Garner/Wood/Turner/Fordham/Mullett just off my head are 5 i'd play in advance)

Should be delisted (or traded if at all possible) along with quite a few others and redevelop the list.

Sure the list needs a shot in the arm, but you won't rebuild it in one year by dropping 8 blokes and topping up with fourth rounders and delisted FAs. Likely departures Narni, Adams, McMahon, Firrito plus whoever else. Next season Boomer, Petrie, Waite, Wells probably go. Might as well spread out the delistings over a couple of years and get 6 1st-3rd rounders and a couple of useful SAs than clog the list with like-for-like plodders. Fordham's the only RL player who looks worthy of promotion right away and there's probably no much point going too deep in the draft for the hell of it. Couple of guys probably get a lifeline this year if they can take their chances.

We need to get games into games those who are potentially have significant upside. (Garner/Wood/Turner/Fordham/Mullett just off my head are 5 i'd play in advance)

Also Basti & LMac presumably to earn recalls, and Black starting to come good at NB. Garner and Turner would have their eye on Nahas' spot. Would like to see Tay Tay once he's out of the thumb guard. Don't think Turner is even travelling as well as BMac right now. Mullett or Luke can come in for Spud. That leaves Wood and Fordham. Wood ideally cements a spot once he gets back. Fordham's still learning to run two ways and build his defensive game, which is already enough of an issue with the senior side. There's enough chances to run them all through if the MC wants a look at them.

As usual, Robbie, you're spot on.

My comment was in the spirit of the mood a few days ago, and I rue the fact that we have a plethora of slow inside mids (two of whom are my favourite players) and insufficient fast outside mids.
So which of Spitta, JZ and Cunners are not your favourite players? :stern look:

3. Brad McKenzie continued his good form at VFL level for another week, racking up 22 disposals at a high efficiency rate.

“He kicked the ball particularly well,” Brown added.

“He’s backed up really well from previous weeks and he’s in a good vein of form. Everything about his game is going well at the moment.”

So Gavin Brown has said he's in a good vein of form. I wonder if we'll see him in the 1's soon seeing as though we seem to be more inclined in recent weeks to reward good VFL perfromances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 14 - (19 disposals, 4 tackles, 3 clearances)
Round 13 - (22 disposals, 6 marks, 4 inside 50’s)
Round 12 - (24 disposals)

I was close to putting a line through him at the start of the season. Putting him in the Liam Anthony "no hope" category (although for opposite reasons). I think he's worked hard enough in the twos to be considered again. Without banging down the door, he's clearly in some half decent form. I think he should be rewarded with a start against Brisbane this week. Surely he has to be given his chance eventually.

Could be a Dal Santo type player if it ever clicks for him. He is a first round pick after all. What does everyone else think?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back