Universal Love #2 Nathan Jones - Retired. Thank you Chunk

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont reckon he was as bad as a lot remember. Yes, I do remember him getting caught holding the ball a fair bit and turning it over by foot but he was always a determined bugger. Never underestimate heart, determination and grit. If im building a footballer, give me some who wants the ball and has a desire to improve their game over standing broad jumps, vertical leaps and even silky skills. No point having the skills if you can't win the ball yourself. Especially in a team as bad as we were.

I remember Nath's body shape early days though, he wasn't fit enough, once he built a tank his game went skyward. Now days you rarely see him get caught, someone gets an arm around his waste, he shakes those hips and is hitting up targets inside 50 regularly. One of the best kicks to a leading forward in our team i reckon. There was a pass he did to Hogan vs Richmond a few years ago, a touch pass under pressure off the outside of his boot, put it into the space where he wanted Hogan to lead to and only he could get it.

edit: The kick I'm talking about is in the vid below at 4:43 <fap fap fap>

Last edited:

One of our most dangerous players going into the 50, alongside Melksham. You just know that when Jonesy gets it about 60m out and he has a second to look for an option, he's going to choose the right one and nail the pass.

He's guilty of the occasional blind bomb in there too but it's usually when he has 3 players hanging off him so I'll forgive it.

10th in the league for I50s and 1st at the Dees.

Nathan Jones Milestone games

50th vs Richmond 2008 = Loss
100th vs St Kilda 2011 = Loss
150th vs Geelong 2013 = Loss
200th vs Fremantle 2015 = Loss

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope it's just "Go #2."

I don't think you've thought that one through...

480w_s.jpg

My favourite memory of Jonesy was his first game, well just after we won. He was so pumped to get a good win in his first game, he went over to hug a teammate (can't remember who) in celebration, he was so pumped he had his fists clenched and as he swung his arms around this teammate he punched Colin Sylvia in the face who was standing next to them. Colin was the biggest sook and seemed dirty on a first game player, couldn't wipe the grin off Nathan's face who then was trying to celebrate with an upset Colin.

Not sure how you judge this metric but an article saying he has attempted the most risky kicks in the AFL of any player so he has really sacrificed himself to drive our high risk game plan.

More than anything I want us to win for his 250th

Just wanted to say how much Respect I have for Jones - despite all the s**t your club has gone through since he started, I doubt he has ever played a bad game, he is as hard as nails, seems a really decent guy, and in another team I’m certain he’d have had several AA jerseys by now. He’s the first player from another club I’d pick to play at mine if given a choice.

Absolute definition of a loyal servant, and I hope you blokes get a big win to help him celebrate the milestone.

Well done Jonesy!! Heart and soul player who just never gives in. I remember a game years back v north in last round. We had no chance playing finals and the game was done. In last quarter Jones backed into a marking contest. Copped a huge knee and did some decent damage to his back. Vertebrae damage. I reckon there’d be a lot of players who wouldn’t go at that stage. It was one of those contests where it wouldn’t have been that noticeable if a player didn’t go.

Just wanted to say how much Respect I have for Jones - despite all the s**t your club has gone through since he started, I doubt he has ever played a bad game, he is as hard as nails, seems a really decent guy, and in another team I’m certain he’d have had several AA jerseys by now. He’s the first player from another club I’d pick to play at mine if given a choice.

Absolute definition of a loyal servant, and I hope you blokes get a big win to help him celebrate the milestone.

It's crazy to compare him to Joel Selwood. Started a year apart, both heart and soul players who never play a bad game for their side.
One has about 200 wins the other has about 50.

It's crazy to compare him to Joel Selwood. Started a year apart, both heart and soul players who never play a bad game for their side.
One has about 200 wins the other has about 50.

Exactly what I was thinking when I wrote that post hey. He’s the player who most reminds me of Selwood - he’s a quality and effort, not quantity player, and he wouldn’t have looked out of place in any of the great Cats sides.

Exactly what I was thinking when I wrote that post hey. He’s the player who most reminds me of Selwood - he’s a quality and effort, not quantity player, and he wouldn’t have looked out of place in any of the great Cats sides.

Well said, Selwood is an out and out champion of the game, and jones could have had similar individual accolades had he not been surrounded by the mess he was. Not that it would faze either- both are the type of players who play for team success alone.

I would say there would be as low as 10 current day players that would have stuck through that Melbourne era and lead as professionally and loyally, whilst still giving very high performance on field. Its disappointing that he probably wont have any All Australian accolades to his name, but if ever a premiership was "deserved", then Nate Jones would be absolutely front and centre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back