Opinion Since 2000, when have you felt most invested with the Melbourne Football Club?

Since 2000, when have you felt most invested with the Melbourne Football Club?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

* I hope more than anything this somehow ends with Trac on AFL 360 telling supporters to either get behind us or leave for GWS
If he even sees it by accident, or hears about it in passing, he will totally say something which will be great viewing and a further weeks worth of media breakdown

If he even sees it by accident, or hears about it in passing, he will totally say something which will be great viewing and a further weeks worth of media breakdown
Maybe danster can tell it to him at training next time he's down coaching

This is hilarious but also pretty cringe from Aniesha. I get they probably get lots of shitty emails but it’s your job in customer service to deal with it. Unless you were an absolute flog in your initial email that reply is crap.
My first email was

Wanted to email the club directly. I've been a supporter for 35 years. Bought multiple memberships and never not been a fan.
I bought a giants membership last week and will not be renewing my Melbourne membership. For 2 years straight I've been bored to death of the way Melbourne plays even in wins.

We are the most boring Melbourne team I've ever seen in my life. Until something changes I will no longer be a member

My reply was ' hey nick you haven't been charged for your 2024 membership have a nice day"

Which led me to reply with

This is the s**t type of membership service that's made me no longer wanna give money to the club. My initial email was ignored for a generic reply

I know of more Melbourne fans who also aren't renewing anymore due to the poor run nature of the club.

Do I expect a reply to this? No. That's the MFC

Did I need to swear at her? Probably not but I wasn't even expecting a reply tbh

My first email was

Wanted to email the club directly. I've been a supporter for 35 years. Bought multiple memberships and never not been a fan.
I bought a giants membership last week and will not be renewing my Melbourne membership. For 2 years straight I've been bored to death of the way Melbourne plays even in wins.

We are the most boring Melbourne team I've ever seen in my life. Until something changes I will no longer be a member

My reply was ' hey nick you haven't been charged for your 2024 membership have a nice day"

Which led me to reply with

This is the s**t type of membership service that's made me no longer wanna give money to the club. My initial email was ignored for a generic reply

I know of more Melbourne fans who also aren't renewing anymore due to the poor run nature of the club.

Do I expect a reply to this? No. That's the MFC

Did I need to swear at her? Probably not but I wasn't even expecting a reply tbh
I love that she seems to have replied just to spite you

you’d think fans wouldn’t have high standards after spending 15 years in the pits but here we are where people are changing teams after a flag and consecutive top 4 finishes.

I get why oppo fans find it so easy to bag melbourne fans

you’d think fans wouldn’t have high standards after spending 15 years in the pits but here we are where people are changing teams after a flag and consecutive top 4 finishes.

It's like you haven't read a single thing anyone's said including my reply to you.
We get it mate, you're happy to watch s**t footy. Good on ya 👍

I voted now.
We have a transparent coach for the people who doesn't talk in clichés and corporate drivel.
A down to earth CEO.
Our president volunteered to stay in Melbourne to let a club staffer go to Perth in September 2021 (she did end up going for some reason)

How could a Melbourne supporter not be genuinely invested in his or her club right now?

I voted now.
We have a transparent coach for the people who doesn't talk in clichés and corporate drivel.
A down to earth CEO.
Our president volunteered to stay in Melbourne to let a club staffer go to Perth in September 2021 (she did end up going for some reason)

How could a Melbourne supporter not be genuinely invested in his or her club right now?

Some people are going to take this seriously lol

Yes you're right. True fans accept mediocrity and don't demand more of the football club when it's clearly not the best version of itself.

I'm getting 'just a kid' vibes from that bloke. Be surprised if he was alive for the Essendon Melbourne GF

Like no one here is actually saying they’ll abandon the club forever, but with life being pretty ******* expensive right now I don’t blame anyone for not investing time and money into the club.

I’m genuinely the least interested I’ve been since 2013. I don’t care if I sound spoilt we all know Goodwin is burning our window and the whole club is happy to keep the entire coaching group on. Don’t even get me started on Pert and Roffey who have been pathetic last 12 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like no one here is actually saying they’ll abandon the club forever, but with life being pretty ******* expensive right now I don’t blame anyone for not investing time and money into the club.

I’m genuinely the least interested I’ve been since 2013. I don’t care if I sound spoilt we all know Goodwin is burning our window and the whole club is happy to keep the entire coaching group on. Don’t even get me started on Pert and Roffey who have been pathetic last 12 months.
All of us regulars on this board were here for 2010-14
We all stuck around.

Its pretty clear that alot of us are unhappy with the club now and unhappy watching.
Thing that gets me the most is instead of looking inwardly to wonder why we aren't loud at games, they straight up blamed the fans for it.

There's the old saying that you wanna be hated or loved because at least its something, feeling nothing is the worst and that's where I'm at. I just don't care anymore

I get that POV but also the opposing POV.

I'm stuck in the middle perhaps.

For most of my Dees supporting life (35+ years) I've craved consistency in terms of playing finals regularly, being hard to beat more often than not etc. Much like Sydney or Geelong for the past decade or so.

Now we have achieved that in the past few years - finals, top-four (H & A) finishes and a flag. But I do despise the way we play and have done for the best part of 2 years. The flag was amazing and something I doubted we'd ever achieve in my lifetime, but since then we've been so tedious and dour to watch.

I also have immense doubts about the people running the show - Roffey, Pert and Goodwin. Yes they all played a part in the flag, and what we see from the outside could be the polar opposite of what they do behind closed doors, but they're not passing the sniff test from where I sit. Something is off and it has to stem from the top.

I get that POV but also the opposing POV.

I'm stuck in the middle perhaps.

For most of my Dees supporting life (35+ years) I've craved consistency in terms of playing finals regularly, being hard to beat more often than not etc. Much like Sydney or Geelong for the past decade or so.

Now we have achieved that in the past few years - finals, top-four (H & A) finishes and a flag. But I do despise the way we play and have done for the best part of 2 years. The flag was amazing and something I doubted we'd ever achieve in my lifetime, but since then we've been so tedious and dour to watch.

I also have immense doubts about the people running the show - Roffey, Pert and Goodwin. Yes they all played a part in the flag, and what we see from the outside could be the polar opposite of what they do behind closed doors, but they're not passing the sniff test from where I sit. Something is off and it has to stem from the top.
Here's a better way to go about it, we've won 32 odd games in the last 2 years, how many were great games to watch?

Even some of the great wins like the Carlton game with Pickett kicking the winner in 22 was a ******* s**t game with a good last 2 mins.

I don't reckon there's 10 games in those 32 I'd watch again.

Here's a better way to go about it, we've won 32 odd games in the last 2 years, how many were great games to watch?

Even some of the great wins like the Carlton game with Pickett kicking the winner in 22 was a ******* s**t game with a good last 2 mins.

I agree, and this is where people differ re what they want to get out of sports. As in, the defence+contest style has delivered a flag and allowed us to be top 4 through the past two years (until the shambolic finals series). Under Bailey we were a ripping side to watch but had holes everywhere and often coughed up big scores.

I wonder what Saints fans think of Ross Lyon's time there. So unlucky not to win a flag with that defence-first gameplan but it was certainly a tough watch, but it delivered better results than 99% of their club history.

I want to win everything and look good.

Is this so much to ask?
Its at the point now where id rather lose playing attractive football than win playing ugly. Had enough of this ride.

Its at the point now where id rather lose playing attractive football than win playing ugly. Had enough of this ride.
Well sure.

I actually meant me though. Stuff Melbourne. I want to look really really good and win things.

Well sure.

I actually meant me though. Stuff Melbourne. I want to look really really good and win things.

You're a winner in my book already PG. And you look really good in that gif.

This is horribly true Kent.

I’ve lost my appetite for the endless rewatch and gloat. I leave games going well it’s four points I guess.

I honestly wondered for a bit last year if I was growing tired of the whole footy thing, but it can’t be true. I still watch nostalgia repeats from the fun times, and often enjoy neutral games. It’s just Melbourne here and now that makes me want to pluck my own eyeballs out

Back