Universal Love Who is the best player who has played for the Melbourne Football Club since and including 2000? WINNER: Max Gawn

Who has been the better player for Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2006
This is the location section. šŸ¤—
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hey, everybody! It's me! Headless! From the anonymous online text-based football discussion forum bigfooty.com!

What I really want to know - and this is me being honest, but also a little silly - is the question outlined in the title of this thread. šŸ§µ And for clarity, we're talking about the public offline ball-based athletic pursuit Australian rules.

This is stolen from the Adelaide board, of course, much in the same way Adelaide is trying to steal our full forward. :roflv1: But to do this properly, we need CRITERIA.

I'm thinking we do a series of knockout polls until we land on the ULTIMATE WINNER, but what should eligibility be? Played one or more game this millennium? Played their entire career in that time? Do we only consider games for the Demons?

Let's all WORK TOGETHER on this very important project. Let me know what you're thinking (about this topic - LOL!) in this very thread! šŸ§µ

Excellent work, Les.

Agree that a knockout tournament would be the way to go. Perhaps just select a number of players for the bracket based off how many games they played (for their career)? So say the top 32/48 players (by career games) that have played since 2000?

Unfortunately, that might rule out pre-tournament favourites like Tom Gillies, Troy Davis and Daniel Nicholson. But you've got to give the others a chance.

Farmer's season in 2000 is easily the best season by a player for me. Similar to Jako in the 90's , he made us must watch, loved going to the footy and watching us play every week. 9 times out of 10 you'd get at least one bit of genius from Jeff that would have you out of your seat.

Probably doesnt make him our best player but he was true box office. Miss having someone like that.

Probably Gawn for me. 6x AA, premiership captain. Best in his position over a length of time. Not many Dees players can claim that in our history tbh.

Jurrah and Farmer on pure raw talent would be up there.

Oliver and Trac clearly at the pointy end of the conversation.

David Neitz would be right up there for me also. The only decent replacement we've had for him since was Hogan who was only with us a short time. Left a massive hole did Neita.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd go to war with Jonesy, but IMO he's not in the top tier of most talented on our list last 20 years or so.

I have him as he was captain of probaly the worse Melbourne team in our history and never gave in.

I know he did not have the talent of others but you cant but buy his loyalty, courage and leadership.

Last edited:
Probably Gawn for me. 6x AA, premiership captain. Best in his position over a length of time. Not many Dees players can claim that in our history tbh.
Will let the democratic process play out, but agree it's Gawn.

Gawn will be spoken about as a top-five ruck of all-time once he's done, and potentially even higher.

Trac, Clarry, and to a lesser extent, Neita, Wiz and May are/were all players in the upper echelon of their peers, but none of them are likely to be considered all-time AFL greats.

For Trac and Clarry, the accolades stand up, but neither will likely be considered as better/more influential players than the likes of Martin, Pendlebury, Selwood, Dangerfield, Ablett, Bontempelli etc, and that's just players from around their generation.

Max has given us a bigger head-to-head advantage than any other player in my lifetime.

Will let the democratic process play out, but agree it's Gawn.

Gawn will be spoken about as a top-five ruck of all-time once he's done, and potentially even higher.

Trac, Clarry, and to a lesser extent, Neita, Wiz and May are/were all players in the upper echelon of their peers, but none of them are likely to be considered all-time AFL greats.

For Trac and Clarry, the accolades stand up, but neither will likely be considered as better/more influential players than the likes of Martin, Pendlebury, Selwood, Dangerfield, Ablett, Bontempelli etc, and that's just players from around their generation.

Max has given us a bigger head-to-head advantage than any other player in my lifetime.
Agreed. From where he came from as well, it's an amazing achievement that sits alongside Jimmy Stynes achievements. I think Jimmy had a profound affect on Max.

Agreed. From where he came from as well, it's an amazing achievement that sits alongside Jimmy Stynes achievements. I think Jimmy had a profound affect on Max.
Absolutely he did, IMO. Props to Jimmy for picking it so early with Max, too. Saw something that many people (including Gawn himself, it seems) couldn't.

Bernie Vince IMO.

On just raw talent and ability, I have to vote Nathan Carroll.

But in all seriousness:
  • Jurrah is the most talented player I have seen in red and blue
  • Gawn has had the greatest impact
  • Clarry, as he is on track to end his career with the most accolades

And a nostalgia vote for Neitz. I was wearing the #9 on my guernsey back when I was doing the Vic Kick clinics. My brother had #10 on a Bummers guernsey. I chose #9 for no real reason other than to be 1 up the prick.

At the time, most Dees kids were wearing #3 or #11.

Not sure who at the club had #9 when I started wearing it, but I started taking more interest when it got bestowed onto a young David Neitz. It was kinda cool to get in on the ground floor with Neita as he became a club legend.

Back