Opinion Pick 6* – who do you want?

Who are your TWO favourite options for Pick 6*?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there is a Curtin obsession, there is a consensus amongst the experts that he is one of the best draft picks. Makes sense that most people would want Curtin if he slipped through to pick six.

To me trading a certain pick 6 for a future f1 pick which is unknown and could end up pick 6 regardless (or higher) doesn't make any sense. Just feels like we've wasted time.
Yeah, I'm just saying that over the 21 years, 17 of them would've also been one of the consensus best draft picks. Nothing is new.
I do agree that trading out pick 6 for a F1 pick seems like a waste of time. id want massive overs for doing that.

We should trade pick 6 for a less cursed pick, let's see if GWS would swap us for their pick 7

We might have to give them pick 11 also to move back to the less cursed 7 but its something I think we should consider.

We might have to give them pick 11 also to move back to the less cursed 7 but its something I think we should consider.
Bid on Ethan Read to move back a pick, then Gold Coast don't match.

The correct answer is to draft more key forwards
Technically Curtin can play both ends of the ground.

But it looks like most here don't rate F1 + 23 for Curtin trade and would just take him at 6 (or whatever it ends up being after matched bids).

If we're going to do this exercise, here are some Pick 7s since 2000 (where we'll actually be picking after the Walter bid, though it could be Pick 8 if a bid on Read is made):

Andrew Mackie, David Hale, Jordan Lewis, Paddy Ryder, Joel Selwood, Daniel Rich, Brad Sheppard, Nick Haynes, Ollie Wines, Josh Caddy, Jacob Hopper, Bailey Smith, Hayden Young and in the last two years, Josh Ward and Cam McKenzie (both are promising talents)

Screenshot_20231114_171345_Chrome.jpg

If we're going to get all superstitious, Picks 7 and 13 (where we'll be picking unless we bid on Read and early bids come on Croft and Rogers) look pretty good to me.

Yeah, I'm just saying that over the 21 years, 17 of them would've also been one of the consensus best draft picks. Nothing is new.
I do agree that trading out pick 6 for a F1 pick seems like a waste of time. id want massive overs for doing that.
So what's the solution? that's the pick we have. Do we not pick the best available because he will be a bust.

View attachment 1852483

If we're going to get all superstitious, Picks 7 and 13 (where we'll be picking unless we bid on Read and early bids come on Croft and Rogers) look pretty good to me.

Confirmed pick 6 is the worst place to draft from, this club cant do anything right!!

WHAT WAS TIM LAMB DOING??? PLAYING SOLITARE??? HOW COULD YOU HE NOT REALISE FREMANTLE WOULD FINISH WHERE THEY DID WHEN HE MADE THE JACKSON TRADE AND THAT THE AFL WOULD GIVE NORTH A COMP PICK FOR MCKAY ??? :madv1:

This Curtin obsession is getting out of control.

Let's look at 21 years of pick 6:

2000: Dylan Smith (North Melbourne)
2001: Ashley Sampi (West Coast)
2002: Steven Salopek (Port Adelaide)
2003: Kepler Bradley (Essendon)
2004: Tom Williams (Western Bulldogs)
2005: Beau Dowler (Hawthorn)
2006: Mitch Thorp (Hawthorn)
2007: David Myers (Essendon)
2008: Chris Yarran (Carlton)
2009: Gary Rohan (Sydney)
2010: Reece Conca (Richmond)
2011: Chad Wingard (Port Adelaide)
2012: Jack Macrae (Western Bulldogs)
2013: Matthew Scharenberg (Collingwood)
2014: Caleb Marchbank (GWS)
2015: Aaron Francis (Essendon)
2016: Sam Petrevski-Seton (Carlton)
2017: Jaidyn Stephenson (Collingwood)
2018 Ben King (Gold Coast)
2019: Fischer McAsey (Adelaide)
2020: Denver Granger-Barrass (Hawks)

Whether it be form, injury, off-field issues, or simply not being good enough 17 of these 21 picks have been busts. That's a 81% failure rate. So under no circumstances do we HAVE to take anyone.

Incredible

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what's the solution? that's the pick we have. Do we not pick the best available because he will be a bust.
We pick the best available knowing full well about the highly speculative nature of draft picks. Surely if JT picks someone other than what we expect then we know it's because he has reason to do so. We don't HAVE to take anyone just because they apparently slide. If Curtin 'slides' it's because both the hawks and the dogs and North Melbourne preferred someone else.

We pick the best available knowing full well about the highly speculative nature of draft picks. Surely if JT picks someone other than what we expect then we know it's because he has reason to do so. We don't HAVE to take anyone just because they apparently slide. If Curtin 'slides' it's because both the hawks and the dogs and North Melbourne preferred someone else.
Who do you (realistically) hope we take at 6 Danster?

I don't think anyone is saying we have to take him at 6 but in most people's view he would be best available if he was available at 6. Obviously you don't rate him which is fine. What player(s) would be your preference? Is the go home factor a worry for you or would it be the fact that north, bulldogs and hawthorn pass on him a red flag?

I think there’s definitely reasonable arguments not to take Curtin at 6 if he’s available. I don’t doubt part of the reason some people are so keen is that he was initially being talked about as a top 3 pick so people have the perception if he slides to our pick he’s a steal, which isn’t really an accurate guide.

I’d be happy enough to get him because he has some amazing attributes but I’m not convinced on what I’ve seen he’s going to end up as a midfield prospect or a traditional FB/CHB. If he becomes a star I think it’s more likely it’s as an interceptor and distributor. His height and kicking skills would make him very hard to stop in that role if he develops to his potential.

I think there’s definitely reasonable arguments not to take Curtin at 6 if he’s available. I don’t doubt part of the reason some people are so keen is that he was initially being talked about as a top 3 pick so people have the perception if he slides to our pick he’s a steal, which isn’t really an accurate guide.

Completely irrelevant. I still have him as a top 3 talent. Been a fan from the moment I saw him play, just cause hes potentially sliding doesnt change anything.

I’d be happy enough to get him because he has some amazing attributes but I’m not convinced on what I’ve seen he’s going to end up as a midfield prospect or a traditional FB/CHB. If he becomes a star I think it’s more likely it’s as an interceptor and distributor. His height and kicking skills would make him very hard to stop in that role if he develops to his potential.
Spot on.

Credit to GoTigers2015 for putting this consensus together in another thread.

1699794681349.png

Reckon Leake is being undervalued nearly across the board (particularly ESPN, though I rate their draft opinions lower than most).

Think he either goes to us, GWS or Geelong at 6*-8*, depending on what happens with Curtin. If he somehow made it to 11*, I'd be over the moon.

I don't think anyone is saying we have to take him at 6 but in most people's view he would be best available if he was available at 6. Obviously you don't rate him which is fine. What player(s) would be your preference? Is the go home factor a worry for you or would it be the fact that north, bulldogs and hawthorn pass on him a red flag?
I personally like O'Sullivan, Watson, Caddy and then Sanders and Curtin last. But I'll back anyone JT picks up. It's more who I hope JT rates. JT usually goes for competitors which is why I think he'll go for Tholstrup at 11 (which will be 14ish). So if we walked away with Curtin and Tholstrup I'd be a little nervous with the go home factor. Losing a player like Jackson and Petty early in their careers really puts you back. We still haven't got anything from Jackson yet. Jefferson is 1-2 years away at best and who knows how long our first pick this year takes so it's just a massive momentum killer. Same when Petty goes.

... We still haven't got anything from Jackson yet. Jefferson is 1-2 years away at best and who knows how long our first pick this year takes so it's just a massive momentum killer. Same when Petty goes.
Except for this...
3d747a54e42b735609d91d300482663c

If two years of Curtain or Tholstrup or any interstate players got us another premiership that's something I can live with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back