Opinion Pick 11* – who do you want?

Who are your TWO favourite options for Pick 11*?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As promised, here is the Pick 11* poll/thread

The presumed 'locks' to be taken before our second pick:
  • Harley Reid
  • Jed Walter
  • Zane Duursma
  • Colby McKercher
  • Nick Watson
  • Daniel Curtin
  • Ethan Read
  • Nate Caddy
  • Connor O'Sullivan
  • Ryley Sanders
  • Jake Rogers
  • Jordan Croft
I've expanded this to our 11 most likely options, as this part of the draft is more even than the top 7-8.

Darcy Wilson
  • Position: Mid/forward
  • Size: 186cm, 74kg
  • From Fox Sports: The quiet achiever of this year’s class. Not a big talker off the field, but Wilson is a classy, hard-working prospect who lets his footy do the talking. He starred at every level he played at this season. Wilson kicked 4.3 and averaged 16 disposals and four inside 50s for Vic Country in the recent carnival after two solid games for the AFL Academy against Port Adelaide’s SANFL side (19 disposals) and Carlton’s VFL team (1.0, 12 disposals, 6 marks). Wilson also kicked 16 goals and averaged 25 disposals and four inside 50s for the Bushrangers from 11 Coates Talent League games. His three-goal, 21-disposal performance in the wildcard game against the Rebels was eye-catching. Classy yet exciting, zippy yet can run all day – he finished second in the 2km time trial (5:52) at the combine – daring with the ball yet still efficient — it’s no wonder Wilson is in the first-round mix.
  • AFL.com.au highlights:

Caleb Windsor

• Position: Wing
  • Size: 185cm, 74kg
  • From Fox Sports: The best winger in the draft class a year where there aren’t too many wingers at the top. Windsor’s fan club has grown across the back-half of the season. After averaging 16 disposals and five inside 50s for Vic Metro at the national carnival, Windsor starred for the Ranges, averaging 19 disposals from his final eight Coates Talent League games. Bug what scouts were most impressed with was Windsor’s ability to push forward and consistently hit the scoreboard, kicking at least one goal in all of those eight matches. His electric speed as on display at the national combine, placing third in the 20m sprint (2.916) while also finishing inside the to 10 of both vertical jump tests. One recruiter told foxfooty.com.au last week Windsor looms as an “early teens pick”.
  • AFL.com.au highlights:

James Leake
  • Position: Defender/forward
  • Size: 187cm, 77kg
  • From Fox Sports: Hello and welcome to the first round mix, James Leake. And it’s richly deserved after a breathtaking back-end to his 2023 campaign. Leake earned a call-up to the Allies squad after a solid start to his Coates Talent League season across half-back – and he delivered on the national stage, playing all four games and averaging 16 disposals and five marks while going at 79 per cent efficiency by foot. But recruiters really took note where Leake was shifted forward late in the season for the Devils – a move that saw Leake kick 15 goals from his last five games, including a haul of five against the Stingrays and a match-turning three against the Falcons. Leake has an excellent leap and strong pair of hands, which helps him at both ends of the field. He’s composed with ball in hand and an excellent interceptor in defence, but lethal around goal inside 50.
  • AFL.com.au highlights:

Koltyn Tholstrup
  • Position: Forward/mid
  • Size: 186cm, 86kg
  • From Fox Sports: A high impact and score involvements player, Tholstrup has been in the first-round mix all season. After missing WA’s first national champs game with a back issue, Tholstrup had several key moments during an impressive outing against SA, including a standout smother, a good contested mark and a classy late-game goal as he finished with 1.1 from 20 disposals, eight marks and four inside 50s. just as importantly, Tholstrup had consistent WAFL league exposure at Subiaco, kicking seven goals from 10 matches against bigger bodies. He also tested well at the combine, finishing equal-ninth in the 2km time trial (6:17) then second in the agility test (8.194). Tholstrup is a natural leader who brings ample energy to the footy field and prides himself on “leaving it all out on the field”. He’s drawn comparisons to North Melbourne star Cam Zurhaar – but he arguably has more polish and composure.
  • Game tape:

Lance Collard
  • Position: Small forward
  • Size: 180cm, 65kg
  • From Fox Sports: A few months ago, Collard would’ve been outside the top 40 of some club draft boards. Now he looms as genuine first-round chance – some scouts believe he’s WA’s most talented prospect – after an outstanding finish to his draft year. Collard had just one standout performance in a quiet national carnival for WA – 2.2 against Vic Country – although clubs were sympathetic to the fact he had asked to spend more time with his family during that period. But the Subiaco goalkicker – who’s blessed with an enormous leap, electric speed and great goal nous -produced a stunning back-end to his draft year at WAFL colts level, booting 10.1 in two finals to finish with 32.13 from 11 games for the season. Collard then impressed at the combine with a solid 2km time trial result of 6:32 before recording the fastest agility test of any prospect (8.157 seconds) and finishing fourth in the 20m sprint (2.923 seconds), while clubs were just as impressed by how he carried himself during the interview process.
  • AFL.com.au highlights:

Riley Hardeman
  • Position: Defender
  • Size: 188cm, 75kg
  • From Fox Sports: A hard-running defender and WA’s carnival captain, Hardeman had several standout games throughout his draft year. He racked up 23 disposals, nine marks and eight rebound 50s for WA against SA in the carnival, while he had 26-plus disposals in four of his seven colts games. Scouts have been pleased to see Hardeman’s growth in confidence to come forward and intercept mark this year to complement his strong rebounding traits, which include speed and a booming left-foot kick.
  • Game tape:

Ollie Murphy
  • Position: Key defender
  • Size: 200cm, 85kg
  • From Fox Sports: Prior to this year, Murphy was “hopeful” he’d be an AFL player come draft night. Several months later, he looms as a near-certain first-round pick after a captivating rise. Murphy claimed Vic Metro’s MVP award across the champs. One of his more impressive games was against the Allies where he did a great job on Jed Walter – after being moved onto him after quarter-time – while also finishing with 10 touches and five marks. After school footy commitments, Murphy settled back in defence for the finish of Sandringham’s premiership campaign, with his preliminary final performance against the Falcons (18 disposals, 8 marks) a standout. Murphy has great size and athletic ability — he ran a PB 2km time trial at the combine (6:18) — as well as a pinpoint left-foot kick, while he’s an aerial threat and not afraid to put his body on the line.
  • Game tape:

Harry DeMattia
  • Position: Mid/forward
  • Size: 184cm, 77kg
  • From Twomey (not in Fox top-30): Clubs were impressed by DeMattia at the Combine, not only his testing resume (he finished in the top 10 for the 20-metre sprint with a dash of 2.996 seconds) but also his interviews. The Vic Country co-captain has played a number of different spots through the year – some see him as a midfielder, others view him as a small back at the next level.
  • Afl.com.au highlights:

Archie Roberts
  • Position: Defender
  • Size: 184cm, 77kg
  • From Fox Sports: After starring for the AFL Academy against Carlton in May, Roberts found plenty of the ball during the national carnival for Vic Metro, averaging 21 disposals and six rebound 50s while going at 75 per cent by foot. He then played three crucial finals to help the Dragons to the Talent League premiership, collecting 19, 25 and 16 disposals respectively. AFL recruiters have remained split over Roberts right throughout the season. His rebounding, ability to gain territory and aerobic capacity (6:08 2km time trial) is unquestionable, but scouts also have doubts over his kicking efficiency, decision-making and defensive accountability.
  • Game tape:

Archer Reid
  • Position: Forward/ruck
  • Size: 203cm, 94cm
  • From Fox Sports: An uber talented yet polarising key-position prospect with an enormous ceiling, Reid endured an inconsistent draft campaign. He entered this season as a possible top-10 pick, probably dipped across the first few months, found form and confidence for Gippsland after the champs then went goalless in his final four games. Reid, the brother of Essendon’s Zach Reid, is a mobile forward-ruck who’s exceptional overhead yet great below his knees and possesses good goal sense. His Round 11 Talent League game — 4.0 from 17 disposals, eight marks and 17 hit-outs against the Dragons — was Reid at his best. Will require patience from fans at AFL level, but if it clicks, he could be a tantalising player.
  • Game tape:

Arie Schoenmaker
  • Position: Defender/wing
  • Size: 194cm, 91cm
  • From Fox Sports: A first-round bolter who’s impressed AFL clubs with his rapid on-field growth and off-field dedication to improve. Schoenmaker was hit with a 10-game ban at the start of the year for a training camp indiscretion involving alcohol with a group of his teammates. He didn’t play for the Tassie Devils until Round 8 of the Coates League and was only a late call-up into the Allies squad. But he couldn’t have been more impressive upon return, averaging 27 disposals and 10 rebound 50s for the Devils, while also averaging 16 disposals and eight marks for the Allies. Schoenmaker is the definition of a line-breaker, with the ability to change the course of matches by using his run and carry then thumping the ball forward with his long, raking left boot. He has the size to be a third tall defender, but admits he needs to regain his ability and confidence to intercept before moving into that role at AFL level. Clubs were keen to interview him at last week’s combine – and they were impressed with his willingness to own and learn from his early-year mistake. Now likely to be taken on the first night of the draft.
  • Game tape:

Please vote for your favourite two selections, bearing in mind that at least one of these players will be off the board before our pick.

Windsor or Wilson for me, with Leake a potential consideration.

You’d expect the club the say they took best available but I reckon this pick could be influenced by who we get with the first.

Schoenmaker and Charlie Edwards are a couple of outside chances. Edwards in particular will be a reach but he does seem like a Jason Taylor type of pick.

Based on the number of posts here vs. Pick 6 thread I am guessing most don't feel too personally invested in this one.

Based on the number of posts here vs. Pick 6 thread I am guessing most don't feel too personally invested in this one.
I do, I just think our board may be a tad distracted at the moment for some reason, lol

Koltyn Tholstrup is such a brilliantly awful name that I just had to vote for him.

Second vote to Darcy Wilson because I have a good mate called that and I can keep telling him he plays for us now.

So basically, I have no ******* idea about any of these kids and voted purely based on names.

Wilson is the only one from this group that gives me movement. I can see why clubs aren't caring for this draft. It really does fall off a cliff after the top handful.

Wilson is the only one from this group that gives me movement. I can see why clubs aren't caring for this draft. It really does fall off a cliff after the top handful.
Watched any of Windsor's tapes? I'd argue he's an even better prospect than Wilson. Moving up to 11 from 14 should mean we'll get access to one of them, so could be some shrewd trading.

Watched any of Windsor's tapes? I'd argue he's an even better prospect than Wilson. Moving up to 11 from 14 should mean we'll get access to one of them, so could be some shrewd trading.
Yeah, probably need a wing coming through. Looks ok. O'Sullivan/Windsor would be a decent combo. Fills two things we're gonna need soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the AFL got a few of their DeMattia highlights from this game, so it's nice to see a more complete version.

I think there's something to work with there. Solid midfielder who likes to take a dangerous kick and can burst out of contests.

Would be nice to trade 6 and 11 to north for 3 and 17
Then take curtain/mckercher at 3 and take George stevens at 17 big Bodied Mid uses it well.
Sanders is boring and doesn’t use it well.

North would say piss off on that deal
Not sure, 17 is going to end up like pick 23 anyway which is about where the draft drops off wheras 11 is still a very solid pick. Would all depend on who they rate around 6 imo.

Not sure, 17 is going to end up like pick 23 anyway which is about where the draft drops off wheras 11 is still a very solid pick. Would all depend on who they rate around 6 imo.
Still think they'd say piss off. They can get 2 of the best 3 mids in the draft or take Curtin with 3 if they want him anyway. Why risk going back to 6

Still think they'd say piss off. They can get 2 of the best 3 mids in the draft or take Curtin with 3 if they want him anyway. Why risk going back to 6
They rated Sanders a lot so they'd likely end up with him or Curtin at 6. If 17 is looking more dicey they are basically getting a free hit in a good part of the draft while still getting one of the guys they were optioning with 3 anyway. I think it's a pretty fair deal tbh.

They rated Sanders a lot so they'd likely end up with him or Curtin at 6. If 17 is looking more dicey they are basically getting a free hit in a good part of the draft while still getting one of the guys they were optioning with 3 anyway. I think it's a pretty fair deal tbh.
Did they rate sanders or did they want a free shot at him from the AFL?

Did they rate sanders or did they want a free shot at him from the AFL?
Hard to say, there's still been some talk about them being invested in him since then hasn't there? Plus other clubs around the mark seem to like him a lot including us. If he doesn't make it past the Dogs they'd end up with Curtin or Watson anyway who they also liked. It all depends how far apart they rate these guys though.

Hard to say, there's still been some talk about them being invested in him since then hasn't there? Plus other clubs around the mark seem to like him a lot including us. If he doesn't make it past the Dogs they'd end up with Curtin or Watson anyway who they also liked. It all depends how far apart they rate these guys though.
I haven't really followed much tbh I find the whole trade period time a wank fest. Nothing really happens and everyone's ab expert on what kids are good.
How much melting here was their about Jackson for instance.

Do any of the junior players have a receding hairline?

We once took a chance on a folicle challenged Nathan Jones with a pick in the 10-20 range and he turn out alright. Our list has a lack of chromedomes at the moment.

How much melting here was their about Jackson for instance.

Drafting Jackson gave me conniptions.

But I grew to love the prick. Sad that he left :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back