Opinion Since 2000, when have you felt most invested with the Melbourne Football Club?

Since 2000, when have you felt most invested with the Melbourne Football Club?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2021 finals series was about the only time I haven't been around the Melbourne board in nearing 20 years, so I guess it's my fault for returning. :eyes:
I’m hoping that everyone will get in here and explain why it’s actually their fault that we won a stupid premiership

I’ve always been invested I guess but I feel less connected with the club.
I remember when I was a kid (late 90s early 2000s) feeling so involved with the clubs and players. After match functions interstate, clinics on the G or junction oval. I miss that feeling!
Now I feel meh about everything really.
I want to experience a Grand final at the G with everyone to bring that full on love back!

Not winning a home final in the last two years has really been a massive L for the club honestly. Even last year if we’d just beaten Carlton I would have felt significantly better about the year.
Kind of just think beating Carlton would have papered over the cracks. However based on a very small sample size it doesnt look like much has changed this year.

AFL website has a piece about the greatest comebacks in history.

No one has voted 06-08... but this was one of the best of all time.

Disproportionately loud crowd in that second half.

Yep. In terms of picking a 3 year period where I was super invested each week I'd say 16/17/18 though, we had some great wins and played some really good footy.

This is the answer.

21/22 was good, but the end of 2022 killed my interest in 2023. Then 2023 did nothing to reignite it.

The 2000-2011 years were too up and down for me to vote for any one period.

The less said about 2012-2015 the better.

I was pretty invested after 2021 when Max said let's do it on the G, 3 years later and 4 home finals losses.

Campaigners.
Yep. Got the membership that guarantees a GF ticket for me and my 2 boys the last 2 years. My boys were even on the ground for the banner run throughs in finals. Lost every final. Can't say I've ever been more financially invested than the last couple of years.

In regards to attending. It was early to mid 90s for me. I know it's pre 2000's but I went every week and usually went to every game at princes Park too as I lived a few blocks away. Now I barely watch 2 other games on TV. My boys are more into basketball, so if they were fully invested in the Dees, I'd be there every week. But I probably go to every 2nd home game plus a few others like Anzac Eve, Queens Bday. Still want to attend a Dees GF. Got a feeling it's another generation away now unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was so much fun winning when we were s**t. I'd turn into the world's biggest campaigner, how fun was it ripping into anyone who had the temerity to barrack for a club that just got beaten by a team with Jack Watts in it? Miss those days.

Imagine sitting through 186 and thinking there'd be a time when you'd win a game of football and feel s**t about it, lol. That's basically been the majority of our football lives for the last year or two. What a cluster*.

i've been a lifelong supporter (40+ years), but i guess i was invested the most the last 15-20 years or so, once i got a bit older and some of my other youthful interests waned somewhat. i've been a member for about that long too (which was pretty much just a donation to the club, as i live too far away and it takes too much time, effort, and money, to go watch games regularly), but i cancelled that membership for the first time last year when it was up for renewal, and i'd made up my mind to do so about halfway through the year.

we are just so frustrating and boring to watch under Goodwin that i just don't care as much anymore as a result. there's also a bit of a stench around the club if you ask me, some poor behaviours and other players wanting out each year.
outside of the younger kids, i actually struggle to find too many people at the club that i even like anymore. there's just been way too much arrogance and ignorance since the flag and it's been a big turn off for me.

i thought i'd probably get a follow up email or something from the club last year asking why i cancelled after so many years, but nothing, just crickets. i'll more than likely take up my membership again in the future, but probably not until Goodwin and a couple of others at the club are well out of the picture.

i thought i'd probably get a follow up email or something from the club last year asking why i cancelled after so many years, but nothing, just crickets. i'll more than likely take up my membership again in the future, but probably not until Goodwin and a couple of others at the club are well out of the picture.
This pisses me off. I emailed the club saying I'd signed up as a GWS member and wouldn't re sign while we played this style and got a generic reply saying ' we see you aren't a member in 2024 so you will not be charged'
Didn't even read what I said lol

I'm more pissed off about your situation, if someone's been a member for 12 months and it lapses they should contacting you let alone someone who's been a member that long.
Under Jim Stynes they would have, under this leadership the club has become a big complacent mess.

i've been a lifelong supporter (40+ years), but i guess i was invested the most the last 15-20 years or so, once i got a bit older and some of my other youthful interests waned somewhat. i've been a member for about that long too (which was pretty much just a donation to the club, as i live too far away and it takes too much time, effort, and money, to go watch games regularly), but i cancelled that membership for the first time last year when it was up for renewal, and i'd made up my mind to do so about halfway through the year.

we are just so frustrating and boring to watch under Goodwin that i just don't care as much anymore as a result. there's also a bit of a stench around the club if you ask me, some poor behaviours and other players wanting out each year.
outside of the younger kids, i actually struggle to find too many people at the club that i even like anymore. there's just been way too much arrogance and ignorance since the flag and it's been a big turn off for me.

this is about where I'm at as well. Downgraded my reserved seat membership to a GA one (I'm still an AFL member) but I just cant stomach supporting the current regime. Goodwin, Pert, Roffey all s**t me up the wall, even Gawn Ive had enough of.

I notice its Melbourne membership day on SEN and we send Trac to talk cooking with Garry and Tim, Sparrow to talk to Whatley, Rivers to talk to Derwayne and Howes to talk to Andy & Gaze, while the clubs leadership hides in their ivory tower getting high on their own bath water.

Last edited:
This pisses me off. I emailed the club saying I'd signed up as a GWS member and wouldn't re sign while we played this style
are people actually jumping ship because of playing style?

who did you support before melbourne?

I remember when Saints were going to s**t (numerous occasions really) and various of them wrote to the club about why they were downgrading or dropping out of membership. And they all posted a reply from the club saying the club was sorry to lose them etc, acknowledging their feedback, asking them to stay in touch with further suggestions about what might improve their experience as members and hoping that they will come back one day.

It wasn’t ground breaking prose or anything but how hard is it to do something like that?

Melbourne should get started on a selection of form letters now. They are going to need them

Gotta say my lack of interest in footy is about the AFL as much as it is the MFC. I don't enjoy being bombarded by betting advertising at the grounds or on the television.

Footy used to be a bit of a social thing for me too, going to games and getting pissed with mates. Last game I went I spent $100 for a ticket and ended up spending over half hour in a bar waiting for a drink and they didn't even have the football on the screens (they were showing horse racing instead). And it was literally a final. It's not worth it for me.

Gotta say my lack of interest in footy is about the AFL as much as it is the MFC. I don't enjoy being bombarded by betting advertising at the grounds or on the television.

Footy used to be a bit of a social thing for me too, going to games and getting pissed with mates. Last game I went I spent $100 for a ticket and ended up spending over half hour in a bar waiting for a drink and they didn't even have the football on the screens (they were showing horse racing instead). And it was literally a final. It's not worth it for me.
Probably better off going to the local pub/sporting bar for some atmosphere. They probably sell better drinks and cheaper as well. Then afterwards you can take in some crappy pub band playing Jessie's girl, living on a prayer, run to paradise ect.

Something that annoys me about the footy is when they won't sell heavy beers unless you are in some sort of function room. Went to Hobart last year and could only get a light cascade. A lot of the bars at the ground close after 3qt as well.

Something that annoys me about the footy is when they won't sell heavy beers unless you are in some sort of function room. Went to Hobart last year and could only get a light cascade. A lot of the bars at the ground close after 3qt as well.
it's bullshit mate, you can get 2 Jim Beam & Cokes but you can't get a full strength Carlton Draught it's a joke.

Back