Opinion Worst (or funniest) Melbourne wins you've seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Without looking it up that was the day game at colonial right? That was ******* s**t lol.
Yeah as Schmuttt said that was 2014. We lost that one and deserved to lose. 2015 one was MCG with the lions choosing the best time to wear the old Fitzroy jumper for a horrid game

Aside from the ones already mentioned, feel like Adelaide in 2014 was a very ordinary win in hindsight. JKH and Dawes 'starred' up forward for us, grinding out a 70-67 win. At the time it felt special but was a terrible game.
Essendon 2014, i've watched the replay many times but that first half is really gross, i often just skip the first half

Aside from the ones already mentioned, feel like Adelaide in 2014 was a very ordinary win in hindsight. JKH and Dawes 'starred' up forward for us, grinding out a 70-67 win. At the time it felt special but was a terrible game.
I disagree, I know it was an ugly win but I don't think it deserves a mention on based on the fact that it was special, to me it was a turning point, we could see some promise. 2014 was an ugly year but we needed to have it.
Essendon 2014, i've watched the replay many times but that first half is really gross, i often just skip the first half
It should have been over by half time and yet would have been injustices to lose in the end.

Essendon 2012 was piss funny. Dreadful game where Garland starred up forward and it was Neeld’s first win as coach.

Wasn’t a bad win by any stretch but we were largely piss poor for 3 quarters against a pretty undermanned Carlton in the 2000 QF before Green and Bruce went bananas in the last. Felt like we were s**t all day til then. So in some ways a really funny result.

I disagree, I know it was an ugly win but I don't think it deserves a mention on based on the fact that it was special, to me it was a turning point, we could see some promise. 2014 was an ugly year but we needed to have it.
Yeah fair points, at the time it did feel awesome and important to get belief in the group.

Worst game I've seen live was v GWS in Canberra in 2012 or 13? Won by a few goals in the end but just a terrible match.

Considering it was like the first time we'd won a game in South Australia since about 2002 it felt pretty special.

Game against the GC in 2015/16, awful match, awful win, Tom Lynch kicking for goal after the siren from outside 50 and from where I was sitting it looked like it going to make it.

Also every match against North in Hobart, terrible footy, always seem to be 20-30 points down, last years win was an embarrassment and a sign of things to come for a side who think too highly of themselves.

I mean in my view i cant actually beat this

I did however watch it two friends one being a bomber, the other being geelong.
When salem kicked it, the bomber had to extricate himself from the situation and leave the room to vent!
Hilarious Reaction to essendon getting done to a rebounding melboure under Roosy

Roos' table fist hit on the siren is so good.

Roos' table fist hit on the siren is so good.
I've always liked that Pedersen's fist pump to himself after his goal actually syncs well with Dwayne's commentary. I can not explain why

3:50 if you want to see what i'm talkin about for some reason

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing about 2014-16 is that we had some genuine ugly wins, but we had an average team but with some real battlers that showed some ticker, that's why some our wins with the current team from 2022/23 feels a bit lacklustre, team is full of stars that are doing enough to get wins usually in a quarter or two. My mind goes to that saints game in 2022, game was just about over by half time and then the team basically shut off and instead of enjoying the second half, saints got a bit of a run on and melbourne just sort of went through the motions. Yeah probably never going to lose but just wasn't a really enjoyable experience. Having said that going through 2012/13 maybe we can't complain about winning.

The thing about 2014-16 is that we had some genuine ugly wins, but we had an average team but with some real battlers that showed some ticker, that's why some our wins with the current team from 2022/23 feels a bit lacklustre, team is full of stars that are doing enough to get wins usually in a quarter or two. My mind goes to that saints game in 2022, game was just about over by half time and then the team basically shut off and instead of enjoying the second half, saints got a bit of a run on and melbourne just sort of went through the motions. Yeah probably never going to lose but just wasn't a really enjoyable experience. Having said that going through 2012/13 maybe we can't complain about winning.
Agree with all that. The Saints game on Mothers Day 2022 is a good example of a potential enjoyable win either becoming boring or nerve wracking.

I've made a new years resolution to enjoy wins more. (Easier said than done ofcourse)

Since round 1 2022 where I thought we were better than we actually are, I've been looking for perfection and gone home underwhelmed after so many wins. This has also been reflected by many other supporters in the post game threads on Land and Bigfooty.

As an example, after the round 19 win over Adelaide I left the game livid that we let Adelaide back into the game numerous times rather than building on the 3-4 goal leads we had throughout the day. I should have instead enjoyed the win for what it was - an exciting nail biter over an up and coming side that also troubled Collingwood at the MCG a month earlier. Imagine how we all would have felt had we lost that day.

Even during the Carlton final, I thought to myself "even if we win this, it will be a dog ordinary win due to the ugly footy and constant misses tonight".

Okay the great man fitzpatrick got a mentioned in another thread and it triggered a memory of him slotting a banana from the boundary on the 50m arc.

Anyway I think we got to 7-8 goals up in the last quarter before western bulldogs kicked the next 7 to almost steal the game. Would have been pretty flat to drop that game but thankfully they held on. It was neil Craig's first game as coach and another example of a team getting a win after the coach got the sack. We did this in 97 against Richmond after balme sack. Anyway I still remember a few dudes chanting Neil Craig on my way walking back to Richmond station.

Quick ball movement out of defence with precise kicking... and still end up with a low percentage shot from the boundary.

DNA.

Okay the great man fitzpatrick got a mentioned in another thread and it triggered a memory of him slotting a banana from the boundary on the 50m arc.

Anyway I think we got to 7-8 goals up in the last quarter before western bulldogs kicked the next 7 to almost steal the game. Would have been pretty flat to drop that game but thankfully they held on. It was neil Craig's first game as coach and another example of a team getting a win after the coach got the sack. We did this in 97 against Richmond after balme sack. Anyway I still remember a few dudes chanting Neil Craig on my way walking back to Richmond station.

Pretty sure Neil Craig’s first game in charge was against St Kilda the week before. We got done by about 6 goals but it was a dramatic improvement from Neeld’s finals 3 games in charge where we lost by a combined 280 points.

Pretty sure Neil Craig’s first game in charge was against St Kilda the week before. We got done by about 6 goals but it was a dramatic improvement from Neeld’s finals 3 games in charge where we lost by a combined 280 points.
You are correct, I read of demon wiki that the demons were playing with more freedom under Neil Craig and thought it was his first game but it was his first win. I forgot he had the game against St kilda which was an improvement.

2003 R1 v Hawthorn. 38 up early in the last but 2 minutes left scores were level. Junior Mac knocks himself out taking a hanger on the wing. Greeny marks and goals and we win by 6.

2003 R1 v Hawthorn. 38 up early in the last but 2 minutes left scores were level. Junior Mac knocks himself out taking a hanger on the wing. Greeny marks and goals and we win by 6.
Speaking of games like that and the 2013 dogs one

The one point win against Port in Darwin is such a forgettable game. 33 points up heading into the final term

As requested by PerfectFooty :rainbow:

First nomination is 2019 vs Gold Coast (Round 8): low scoring, atrocious footy with a comically thrilling ending. Down by 6 points against the eventual wooden spooners with 26 seconds left, Marty Hore punches one through from 50. Melbourne then win the clearance via a left-footed Gawn hack, Hunt goes kamikaze in a marking contest on the 50, Harmes picks up the loose ball, chokes the kick like you could not imagine, McDonald drops a sitter at the top of the goalsquare, then hacks it off the deck into the post with one second left to give Melbourne one of the funniest and most undeserving wins in recent history.

God this was an awful game. I've always had a soft spot for it though, decided I needed to go out and get very drunk afterwards, which turned out to be the night I met my partner. Thanks Melbourne, your ineptitude changed my life 🤗

Late to this thread, but that 2019 win vs the Suns must be the dirtiest in history. I can usually find something to like about a win, but not this one.

Honourable mention goes to the R22 2022 win vs Carlton, when Koz pinched it at the end. Funny cos it was Carlton, but our last quarter was some of the worst footy we've ever played. I hated every second of it, and couldn't being myself to celebrate Koz's miracle.

The Carlton game was funny because it basically it contributed to them missing finals. In a way Carlton in 2022 and 23 is similar to Melbourne 17/18. Just missed the finals then stormed into a preliminary final. At least Carlton fired a shot in their preliminary final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back