Opinion Worst Melbourne losses you've seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Major Colvin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've been a Melbourne fan since 1990 and some of the losses I've witnessed under Simon Goodwin are amongst worst I have ever witnessed in my time supporting the club

I feel we need to keep a running tally of these failures but there will certainly be more until this fraud finally leaves

Top 10 worst Melbourne losses (coach in brackets)

• R23, 2017 v Collingwood - blew easy chance to play finals against a team down the bottom of the ladder (Goodwin)
  • 2023,QF v Collingwood - 30+ more inside 50's kicked atrociously and lost by 7 points (Goodwin)
  • 2023 SF v Carlton - Dominated the final qtr - once again kicked atrociously and lost by 2 points (straight sets) (Goodwin)
  • 2022 SF v Brisbane - leading by 4 goals in the 2nd quarter against a team that hadnt won at the MCG in about a decade and capitulated (Goodwin)
  • 2018 Prelim - didnt fire a shot and didnt kick a goal for an entire half (Goodwin)
  • 2011 loss to Geelong "186" (Bailey)
  • 2013 loss to Essendon by 148 (Neeld)
  • 1992 loss to Essendon after being 47 points up 3/4 time (Northey)
  • 2004 EF Loss to Essendon - their last finals win in 20 years (Daniher)
  • 1993 loss to Sydney (their only win for the year) (Balme)

5/10 to Goodwin - good effort you fraud

Last edited:
Im convinced Goodwin is actually the second worst MFC coach I've seen (behind Neeld) given the list at his disposal

Wasting that list makes him arguably worse than Neeld

Sack the campaigner please

Im convinced Goodwin is actually the second worst MFC coach I've seen (behind Neeld) given the list at his disposal

Wasting that list makes him arguably worse than Neeld

Sack the campaigner please
Jesus, you'd think we had the Cats late 00's list on our hands.

No doubt we've underperformed but get a grip. We've got a great backline, pretty good midfield, and terrible forwardline. List isn't close to another dynasty side of the past 25 years.

Worst loss witnessed #ATG probably the Brisbane final last year. Could see us bottling it from a mile away, coughing up a goal in the last 30s of each quarter.

Worst performance wise probably 186?

Most emotional losses were probably Neale's last game v Bombers and the 1-pt Pies loss in 2010. Lost it badly after each of those.

an often forgotten one is losing by 111 down at the cattery in roosy’s last game (2016 i think)

felt sick sending him off like that

Why would you want to remember our bad losses?
Because this is a discussion forum where we discuss issues and concepts relevant to the club.

Perhaps people find it cathartic to talk about their disappointment, particularly after a rough finals loss. There's no need to engage if you don't want to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North 07, Nathan Thompson kicked the winner with a few left. I was a high school kid and unashamedly crying at the G.

Our record between then and '22 with regards to losing with the last kick was pretty good IIRC, aided by being s**t for a lot of that. Close games didn't tend to be decided by conceding late.

All that's changed this year, of course :thumbsu:

"Tank" gate in 08 when we unabashedly tanked VS Richmond.
Playing Brad Miller to Ruck, Junior to play HBP and no Sylvia or Robbo. Very odd selection.
Blatant as it gets, despite what has came out of that investigation.

Watched that game, as a 14YO
Concede in a very inauspicious Way,

Think the most upset I've been after a loss (at least one that I attended) was the Geelong one at KP in 2018 (Tuohy after the siren). I'm sure schmuttt feels similarly.

Weirdly enough the loss to St Kilda in 2015 when Montagna kicked a late goal after the Toump ****ed it, felt dejected all week after that, was just so sick of the club and losing.
Actually that's a good nomination too

148 vs Essendon was pretty special too – purely for the fact that weren't that good, even if they were doped up to the eyeballs.

I'm going to pick a weird one but god 2015 QB was frustrating, we where esentially beaten by a no name Adam Oxley playing spare in defence and we refused to man him

Of course i can pick the more obvious ones or many more but i'll save it as i'm sure this thread will evolve

I'm going to pick a weird one but god 2015 QB was frustrating, we where esentially beaten by a no name Adam Oxley playing spare in defence and we refused to man him

Of course i can pick the more obvious ones or many more but i'll save it as i'm sure this thread will evolve
Nice I had completely erased this memory but it's about as frustrated as I've been watching a game, don't recall ever hearing Oxleys name again other than in reference to this game.

Can't remember the year. 2017 maybe? When we dominated Geelong with Jack watts in the ruck and blew it with bad kicking at the dome. Think we did the same thing against the Tigers as well and got over run in the last

Remove this Banner Ad

Back