AFL Player #20: Peter "Litre" Wright 🏅 - pleads guilty at tribunal, 4 week suspension - 26/3

20 - peter wright.jpg

Contract Status: Free Agent (?) 2027
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 21, TheGrizz

Last edited by a moderator:

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
It's kinda funny how the biggest bloke on the deck seemed to keep finding himself on the end of handball chains or near crumbs, it's like he has a small fwd mindset or something

Considering we bomb the ball on heads of our small forwards, it makes sense that we go out and get a 2m small forward.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
It's kinda funny how the biggest bloke on the deck seemed to keep finding himself on the end of handball chains or near crumbs, it's like he has a small fwd mindset or something

I was impressed. He seemed to be working hard and he uses the ball very well.

I think he was more on ball in some of those passages of play.

He had a good first 2-3 quarters but he was completely out of gas in the end and faded badly.

AFL midfielders make forwards look bad and defenders good with their inability to kick the ball to a forwards' advantage.

It's the same thing with Mason Cox. Just let him have a run at the ball for heaven's sake.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
I was impressed. He seemed to be working hard and he uses the ball very well.

I think he was more on ball in some of those passages of play.

He had a good first 2-3 quarters but he was completely out of gas in the end and faded badly.

AFL midfielders make forwards look bad and defenders good with their inability to kick the ball to a forwards' advantage.

It's the same thing with Mason Cox. Just let him have a run at the ball for heaven's sake.
the new pace of the game is going to hurt inside 50 efficiency outside the truly elite users.
it will slow down a bit soon enough, and when it does time and space will be afforded to utilise both he and Jones.

TheFrenchCut

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I actually didn't mind his game either and thought he showed some nous at times. He set up the McGrath goal to start the second quarter knowing Pidge was the free sweeper at the throw-in.

Bit worried he at times lets his defender take front position from him but I think he's shown enough against Geelong and now Hawthorn to be optimistic.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Wright actually seemed more mobile as a ruckman than as a forward, probably just because he had more space to move in. Thought he covered the ground well and had good awareness. We look so much better with some talls taking marks.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Glad we've got him to fill in rucking while Draper is out, but what happens when Draper is back? Does Wright go back into the forward line, because it looked pretty slow with him up there.
I don't think Hooker ^ Wright can play the same fwd line.

Perkins Jones Waterman
Tippa *** Stringer

That FF spot belongs to one of them.
Wright is handy cos he can ruck
Hooker is the better forward

I don't think Hooker ^ Wright can play the same fwd line.

Perkins Jones Waterman
Tippa *** Stringer

That FF spot belongs to one of them.
Wright is handy cos he can ruck
Hooker is the better forward

You'd have to pick Hooker, although as you said Wright is handy to help in the ruck. It's going to be a conundrum for the selectors but at least they've got a couple months to think about it.

You'd have to pick Hooker, although as you said Wright is handy to help in the ruck. It's going to be a conundrum for the selectors but at least they've got a couple months to think about it.
Will Hooker go on next year? He looked good against the Saints, but has been injury-prone. If this is Hooker's last year the problem fixes itself.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Glad we've got him to fill in rucking while Draper is out, but what happens when Draper is back? Does Wright go back into the forward line, because it looked pretty slow with him up there.

We might end up with Hooker in defence. To date the structure hasn't changed. Stringer replaced Draper and Wright then moved out of the forward line. Can't see it happening, though.

We always knew Wright would be good for some hit outs, would be able to get around the ground and use the ball well. We need him to be much more aggressive in the air and, to a less extent, over the ball. I thought Carlisle beat him comfortably in the air which, while no disgrace given that Carlisle at his best is probably the best contested mark in the game, he has to better than to be the player he should be.

Wright gets a pass for his game against the Saints (unless something really spectacular happens in the last quarter which I haven't seen yet). Even if Phillips or Bryan was considered ready, I'd stick with Wright but it was a bear minimum performance.

We might end up with Hooker in defence.

I hope not. I'm not sure if Hooker will go on next year or not (probably not) but you'd think he'd be finished in defence. If they haven't moved him back so far then its unlikely to happen, especially with Stewart coming back at some stage. In the mean time they have to work out if BZT is worth keeping after this year, so they should play him as much as possible this year to see if he comes on.

Bombers32

Debutant
Sep 13, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I hope not. I'm not sure if Hooker will go on next year or not (probably not) but you'd think he'd be finished in defence. If they haven't moved him back so far then its unlikely to happen, especially with Stewart coming back at some stage. In the mean time they have to work out if BZT is worth keeping after this year, so they should play him as much as possible this year to see if he comes on.
Agreed, Chook is done in defence. Truck is setting up a new backline. I hope that they continue with BZT cause I think he can play. Wright has surprised me and I’ve significantly readjusted my expectations downwards. Having said that, he was ok against the Saints and having the versatility to be named the sole ruckman is a string to his bow. No doubt had something to do with the opposition as he was hardly up against Naitanui or Gawn. I’m not expecting a lot and think he is a surprisingly limited player but having him and Chook to kick to is a damn sight better than Smack and bugger all else.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Will Hooker go on next year? He looked good against the Saints, but has been injury-prone. If this is Hooker's last year the problem fixes itself.
Whether he does or doesn't he's a forward
So Wright needs to wrestle the spot from him. Before someone like Eyre does.

Not a fan of swinging Hooker back.
Stewart, Ambrose, BZT, Reid, Brand. We have players vying for the tall defender spots.

Hehe nicknamed TWO LITRE PETER

New club, new nickname

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They interviewed him at the season launch I think it was, 2 metre 2 litre 2 seater... he gets anything that rhymes apparently.

Back