AFL Player #20: Peter "Litre" Wright 🏅 - Pleads guilty at tribunal, 4 week suspension - 26/3

Remove this Banner Ad

For a guy of his size, my god does he not impact contests.
100kg of frame....hit something ffs!!!

Glaring issue for me outside our midfield depth, we don't have an heir to Hooker at FF.
Wright isn't it.

He moves well, did well in the ruck and he's a nice kick. Some of those long bombs out of defence were quite accurate.
Seems to make good decisions too.

A bit of aggression from him wouldn't go amiss.

I agree with whoever said he may need to improve his core strength.

His intent seems ok, it looks like he just struggles to turn that into results.

I'm not upset at the trade though, he didn't cost much and we'd be well and truly ****ed if we didn't have him so while he might not be the star some people were hoping for he's still pretty important.

The saving grace is that it was the first time he's played like that for us.

Needs to find some angry pills.
Amen to that

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Meh. A cheap signing and will require some work. He didn't have a great game last night but I don't think there was any lack of effort. Seems to need a lot of core strength work. We really only got him as a forward and part time ruck and I think he has a place there. However the injuries and seeing him out of the forward line shows it's working reasonably well without him so his spot is in jeopardy.

Agree with this !!

People seem to have forgotten that he was ok for his role in round 1.
Round 2 was against similarly (list) placed players (Shaun McKernan and Jake Carlisle as KPP forced to ruck).

Round 3 was against arguably the in form ruck in the comp, Tom Hickey, and was shown up accordingly.

Once he gets a Phillips or Draper back his role changes and his output expectation will change. Hitting those as a KPP/2nd ruck should be easy for Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with this !!

People seem to have forgotten that he was ok for his role in round 1.
Round 2 was against similarly (list) placed players (Shaun McKernan and Jake Carlisle as KPP forced to ruck).

Round 3 was against arguably the in form ruck in the comp, Tom Hickey, and was shown up accordingly.

Once he gets a Phillips or Draper back his role changes and his output expectation will change. Hitting those as a KPP/2nd ruck should be easy for Peter

I just want to say that I appreciate the lengths you’ve gone to to erase the port game from existence 😅

For a guy of his size, my god does he not impact contests.
100kg of frame....hit something ffs!!!

Glaring issue for me outside our midfield depth, we don't have an heir to Hooker at FF.
Wright isn't it.

He moves well, did well in the ruck and he's a nice kick. Some of those long bombs out of defence were quite accurate.
Seems to make good decisions too.

A bit of aggression from him wouldn't go amiss.
As someone pointed out to me, the Hooker replacement appears to be one of Eyre or Baldwin. Neither will step into the role and monster a key defender, however, Ambrose was training as a forward. Maybe he's being looked at as the stop-gap, given the defenders look set.

As someone pointed out to me, the Hooker replacement appears to be one of Eyre or Baldwin. Neither will step into the role and monster a key defender, however, Ambrose was training as a forward. Maybe he's being looked at as the stop-gap, given the defenders look set.

Wright has been given 3 years.

I'd say the intention was always that he'd be a starting player.

Baldwin has done ACLs 2 years in a row. It's a pure gamble (worth taking if he is as good as we're told he was). No planning is being done around Baldwin before he plays some games and demonstrates he can still play.

Baldwin has done ACLs 2 years in a row. It's a pure gamble (worth taking if he is as good as we're told he was). No planning is being done around Baldwin before he plays some games and demonstrates he can still play.
I think the big problem is we got him as an upgraded Mitch Brown. Lead up, clunk, goal.

Instead he's playing a totally different role. Imagine Brown rucking.

I think the big problem is we got him as an upgraded Mitch Brown. Lead up, clunk, goal.

Instead he's playing a totally different role. Imagine Brown rucking.

True. I guess he's proven in his short time with us that's he's definitely a second ruck only (at the moment). An extended stint as first ruck due to no other options may not be a bad thing for his development provided he's mentally resilient.

So you'd say the Hooker replacement is Wright until Eyre is ready and/or Baldwin has demonstrated he can play?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think his gas tank is pretty poor which could lead to him being soft(Potentially). Can’t throw himself at the contest.

Otherwise he’s better than McKernan and a solid second Ruck option.

This, up against Sam Reid and not Tom Hickey and we’d be raving about his efforts.

I think he can still fit in with Hooker, Stringer, Jones and Waterman, without losing out on our forward pressure. I was picturing 2MP as the lead up type, taking shots from 50m, and chopping out in the ruck. 1.5ish goals a game would've been a success. I still think he can be that type once he's not fulltime ruckman. Hooker staying within 30m of goal and wrestling. Jones using his running power and leading all the way up to the wings. Stringer is big and strong but he plays like a small. He wins his 1v1s at ground level, like Walla, and if he doesn't win the ball can be pretty successful halving contests and locking the ball inside 50. Plus attending centre bounces then heading back towards goal suits him well. Add Snelling and Smith as smalls looking to tackle and pressure and keep it in our half. Waterman can bob around the fwd 50 and take the lead up role while 2MP is rucking. As his aerobic fitness improves he can step up the tackle pressure and hopefully fold a few oppo players in half. Its up to the coaching staff to make them all fit and for the players mentioned getting their heads around the plan and getting used to each others games.

I reckon we've got what you could expect from Wright. Seems like a solid key forward that can do a respectable job as a second ruck. I likened him to a slight upgrade on McKernan and I reckon he is. Basically McKernan without so many frees against and taller so a bit more competitive in the hitouts.
I haven't seen him do anything that makes me think he is an upgrade on Smack (with the exception of not giving away as many frees in the ruck).

I'll take the nearly 25 year old with 86 goals in 70 games over the nearly 31 year old with 73 goals in 90 games. Who also happened to win their head-to-head battle.

But that's just me.

I'll take the nearly 25 year old with 86 goals in 70 games over the nearly 31 year old with 73 goals in 90 games. Who also happened to win their head-to-head battle.

But that's just me.
Fair enough. We got him for the goal kicking possibilities and to act as 2nd ruck. Winning a head to head of crap ruckmen is irrelevant. Would love to see him giving us 1+ goal a game type output and hopefully he can provide it but early signs aren't too promising. Doesn't put his body on the line and doesn't seem the type to lead up to the wing and take a contested grab to drive us forward. He didn't get to play much footy last year, so hopefully he improves.

But that's just me.
When he played for us, Smack looked more likely around the goals. We have a 4 game sample so I'll reserve judgment, but Wright looked like a plodder last week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back