13 Douglas
14 Varcoe
15 Patful
16 Stokes
17 Carlisle
18 Ibbotson
19 Ellis
20 Clark
Never been a huge Priddis fan and for many years I have thought that Hurn has been tad underrated. That said Hurn probably had a couple elite years and Priddis probably had many more.

1. Scott Pendlebury
2. Shannon Hurn
3. Josh Kennedy
4. Marc Murphy
5. Shaun Higgins
6. Paddy Ryder
7. Grant Birchall
8. Dale Thomas
9. Travis Varcoe
10. Nathan Jones

1. Scott Pendlebury
2. Shannon Hurn
3. Josh Kennedy
4. Marc Murphy
5. Shaun Higgins
6. Paddy Ryder
7. Grant Birchall
8. Dale Thomas
9. Travis Varcoe
10. Nathan Jones

Poor draft with a couple of gems.

1. Scott Pendlebury

2. Josh Kennedy

3. Marc Murphy
4. Matt Priddis
5. Shannon Hurn
6. Paddy Ryder
7. Nathan Jones
8. Dale Thomas
9. Andrew Swallow
10. Bernie Vince

Murphy and Priddis are underrated in this thread. At his best, Murphy was top drawer elite. Priddis was a solid, consistent midfielder for many years and won a Brownlow.

Swallow fell off a cliff but at his best was excellent.

Hurn is getting better with age. Will likely end up third on this list, but a fair way behind the top 2.

Vince may turn some heads, but he was a jet in his Adelaide days. He was better then than Higgins has been at any point IMO.

1. Scott Pendlebury

2. Josh Kennedy

3. Marc Murphy
4. Matt Priddis
5. Shannon Hurn
6. Paddy Ryder
7. Nathan Jones
8. Dale Thomas
9. Andrew Swallow
10. Bernie Vince

Murphy and Priddis are underrated in this thread. At his best, Murphy was top drawer elite. Priddis was a solid, consistent midfielder for many years and won a Brownlow.

Hurn is getting better with age. Will likely end up third on this list, but a fair way behind the top 2.

Vince may turn some heads, but he was a jet in his Adelaide days. He was better then than Higgins has been at any point IMO.
Higgins is a duel B&F winner and an all Australian. His 2018 season was at a level Vince never reached.

1. Pendlebury
2. Kennedy
3. Priddis
4. Hurn
5. Thomas
6. Murphy
7. Ryder
8. Jones
9. Higgins
10. Birchall
11. Vince
12. Swallow
13. Stokes
14. Varcoe
15. Douglas
16. Dempsey

1. Scott Pendlebury

2. Josh Kennedy

3. Marc Murphy
4. Matt Priddis
5. Shannon Hurn
6. Paddy Ryder
7. Nathan Jones
8. Dale Thomas
9. Andrew Swallow
10. Bernie Vince

Grant Birchall 3rd on that list mate, you got rocks in your head if you don't even have him in your top 10.

Higgins is a duel B&F winner and an all Australian. His 2018 season was at a level Vince never reached.

Disagree, but I had them close. Vince's 2009 B&F season was exceptional and he was one of the best in the comp that year.

He was truly dominant and teams were setting up to stop him.

Perhaps some Adelaide fans can comment on his level back then?

Grant Birchall 3rd on that list mate, you got rocks in your head if you don't even have him in your top 10.

Good player with a decent claim to top 10, but 3rd?

I'll just assume you're joking and move on.

Good player with a decent claim to top 10, but 3rd?
I'll just assume you're joking and move on.

You've put Bernie Vince in ahead of a 4 time Premiership winning AA half back...."I'll just assume you're joking & move on."

Birchall played in a better team. I'm glad we both recognize that :thumbsu:
A lot of those guys had good peaks but a lot of them did not maintain it for long, surely being one of the better half back flanks in the comp for over a decade has him well inside that top 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of those guys had good peaks but a lot of them did not maintain it for long, surely being one of the better half back flanks in the comp for over a decade has him well inside that top 10.
A player who's been sidelined as much as him doesn't get extra credits for longevity and consistency. Definitely a good player in his prime and would be in my top 10, but he's not the ideal of long term performance.

A player who's been sidelined as much as him doesn't get extra credits for longevity and consistency. Definitely a good player in his prime and would be in my top 10, but he's not the ideal of long term performance.
He averages over 20 disposals a game over the course of his career even with these last 2 seasons taken in to consideration. He played 16 games in his debut season and did not play less than 16 again until 2017. Some injuries at the end of his career do not detract from a very consistent career both on form and games played.

Maybe, he surely has a claim. But third? That's what was suggested and what I was responding to.

He doesn't have a patch on Hurn or Priddis, for example. Even Ryder.

Last edited:
BUMP!

Tell me if I'm wrong but Scott Pendlebury is No. 1 and stays No. 1 for this draft forever and a day.

Kennedy, Higgins and Hurn I'd have in the top 10.

Higgins' move to North Melbourne's given him warranted praise.
Easily
Kennedy 2nd
Third Ryder/Birchall
4th Hurn
5th Murphy
6 Higgins

He had a very good year. However we are not really in an era of great power forwards.

Eddie Betts was runner up in the Coleman. Riewoldt and Tex played further up the ground and Buddy missed a lot of the year.

With Hogan, Cameron, Daniher, Lynch, Pattern, McCartin, Schache and Boyd coming we maybe heading back to the glory days of the power forward.

Hogan: barely plays footy
Cameron: good
Daniher: barely plays footy
Lynch: good
Patton: barely plays footy
McCartin: retired
Shache: mediocre
Boyd: retired

Four years is a long time

Hogan: barely plays footy
Cameron: good
Daniher: barely plays footy
Lynch: good
Patton: barely plays footy
McCartin: retired
Shache: mediocre
Boyd: retired

Four years is a long time
Strange bump - the debate was who was better out of Kennedy and Pendles.

Not sure there is anything to debate - Pendles wins easily.

As Pendlebury breaks the games record at Collingwood this week it is great to reflect on how consistently good he has been and an absolute standout in the 2005 draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back