2011 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah - seems to be a big emphasis on blokes who will win in one on one situations, which appears to be consistent with what we're doing at training.
Good to see a plan.
Kerridge looks very interesting, as does Ellis-Yolmen.

A guy who's already had a knee-reco. Awesome.

What a thrilling draft.

prozac.jpg

God you're annoying.
Quoted for the truth
Name one, just one, outright champion we have picked up from that club in the last decade.
As they say, every loss is one game closer to a win.

In this case, every dud pickup, is one player closer to a star.

We're 2 Eagles players closer to a star now.... (unless one of these is that star)

Good to pick a crop of young midfielders that "go hard", you just know at training a few of the established guys will get a bit indignant if a upstart makes them look that little bit softer than they'd like to think they are, that's going to make the current guys push themselves as well, which can only be good.

I am with Drummond on this one. I think this draft could define Rendell's reign. Apart from Kerridge, who I know nothing about to be honest, his other three picks all have massive question marks.

Grigg - attitude/temperament, scope of improvement, speed, willingness to work, his short kicking (a lot has been said about his long kicking which is good, but I feel a lot have people have been sucked in by it)

Joyce - pace, shoulder injury, limited upside and lacks flair, not a typical left footer in regards to kicking (depth and accuracy)

Ellis-Yolmen - previous ACL tear, lacks acceleration, kicking average, needs to work on body shape, doesn't play tall through the midfield, untested against quality opposition, can he win ball outside

These are the question marks I have and will watch with interest how they progress.

As for Luke Brown, this will reflect positively for Rendell. I watched him at training last Monday and he looked really comfortable. Defended Porplyzia one on one with little problem (isolated as a defender). Uses his speed well and his kicking was top notch.

“We didn’t really think he’d be there”. And the clichés start.

So our first pick had OP, our third pick had a shoulder injury and our last pick’s had a knee-recon.

This draft couldn’t have gone better. Super stuff. :thumbsu:

Plenty of players have had injuries that have come good. Even the number one pick has been injured with Knee Tendonitis for a while...

I am with Drummond on this one. I think this draft could define Rendell's reign. Apart from Kerridge, who I know nothing about to be honest, his other three picks all have massive question marks.

Grigg - attitude/temperament, scope of improvement, speed, willingness to work, his short kicking (a lot has been said about his long kicking which is good, but I feel a lot have people have been sucked in by it)

Joyce - pace, shoulder injury, limited upside and lacks flair, not a typical left footer in regards to kicking (depth and accuracy)

Ellis-Yolmen - previous ACL tear, lacks acceleration, kicking average, needs to work on body shape, doesn't play tall through the midfield, untested against quality opposition, can he win ball outside

These are the question marks I have and will watch with interest how they progress.

As for Luke Brown, this will reflect positively for Rendell. I watched him at training last Monday and he looked really comfortable. Defended Porplyzia one on one with little problem (isolated as a defender). Uses his speed well and his kicking was top notch.

Interesting analysis. Do you think though that we took risks this year because our picks were so low in a weak draft that we would be happy if any of the later three come up well.

Grigg for mine is intruiging. Playing SANFL as a kid is good, and no doubt the AFC spoke to Bassett.

So, two picks in the 40s and one in the 60s have question marks over them in a notoriously shallow draft? DAMNIT RENDELL!

So, two picks in the 40s and one in the 60s have question marks over them in a notoriously shallow draft? DAMNIT RENDELL!

It's not a good look in 3 years time when 3 of your 4 draft picks are no longer with the club, irrespective of draft number.

FWIW, Lachie Neale or Jordan Murdoch would have represented better value with either one, or both of the picks in the 40s. Suppose time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to wait until round 5 or 6 of next season before making some sort of assessment on these new players.

Both Grigg and Kerridge have bodies which will allow them to play some senior footy next year, don't expect to see Joyce and Ellis-Yolmen for a season or 2.

Still no small crumbing forward

I was disappointed with this as well. We could have taken mccarthy. Why do Geelong need another small forward. They are quite well stocked already. Stokes, motlop, menzel, chapman..:eek:

Hope we pick up one or two in the rookie draft:eek: Wright, Pets is ok i guess but think we to add to this area

Still no small crumbing forward

I reckon they've got Matty Wright pencilled in for this role, may not have that elusive, enigmatic quality that most quality small forwards do, but I think he'll be more in the mold of Matty Bode. Hard tackling, hard at the ball, really works hard to keep the ball in the area and his finishing ability is pretty awesome, 18.8 is a pretty good return in his first season.

Unfortunately what you're seeing is the nature of this years draft, a lot of question marks about anyone picked 30+. Some will work, some won't. I must say I was disappointed we missed out on Lachie Neale, he was one that impressed. Really surprised that Spurr, Pfeiffer and a number of other mature ages didn't get picked as a result.

I read up a bit on Kerridge when it seemed likely that we'd pick him and he certainly sounds like a likely sort. One of those kids that Rendell seems to like, in that he perhaps dropped down the order due to underexposure (think Dangerfield, Davis, Gunston), but that there is certainly talent there.

Grigg has a real weapon in his kicking and the endurance is there, a lot of the questions around his game can be fixed I think. Obviously not the pace terribly much, but it seems a lot of his issues relate to workrate and attitude, which can all be fixed with a bit of maturity. Its now up to Sando and our development guys to work on this. Certainly worth a punt at pick 41.

Brenton Phillips was talking about CEY before the draft on 5aa IIRC and was saying that the talent was there, but that he'd taken time to get over his knee (?) injury, but late in the season really started to show something. Can anyone varify this? I know Brenton is probably a little bias towards the SA boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back