2011 Formula One World Championship - Round Nine - British Grand Prix Silverstone (8-10 July 2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

The ninth GP of the year takes us to the home of Bristish motosport for the British Grand Prix at the Silverstone.

As usual here is Mark Webber's lap of the circuit in the Red Bull Simulator:

[youtube]QPmOVYoYZU8[/youtube]

It should be noted that the video above does not feature the track in its current configuration with a new pit complex between Club and Abbey corners and, as a result, the start/finish line is now on the new pit straight.

Drivers Championship

The Sebastian Vettel 2011 tour de force continues with his lead in the Championship now a huge 77 points. No driver in the history of Formaula 1 has ever scored 1st or 2nd in opening 8 races of the season. Even Schumacher at his peak in 2004 couldn't manage the feat, although he did win 12 of the first 13 races. A crash at Monaco (race 6) was his only mistake. Alonso's second and Webber's third at valencia has tightened the battle for 2nd to a dead heat between Button and Webber with Hamilton falling off the pace and Alonso charging to only 22 points off 2nd spot.

1 Sebastian Vettel 186
2 Jenson Button British 109
3 Mark Webber 109
4 Lewis Hamilton 97
5 Fernando Alonso 87
6 Felipe Massa 42
7 Nico Rosberg 32
8 Vitaly Petrov 31
9 Nick Heidfeld 30
10 Michael Schumache 26
11 Kamui Kobayashi 25
12 Adrian Sutil 10
13 Jaime Alguersuari 8
14 Sebastien Buemi 8
15 Rubens Barrichello 4
16 Sergio Perez 2
17 Paul di Resta 2

Constructors Championship

Red Bull continues to build their lead in the Constructors Championship over McLaren and they have a handy 89 point lead. The performance of McLaren at Silverstone will determine if they can mount a challenge for the title. As p[reviously stated Ferrari need a sudden form reversal from Massa to have any chance for the Constructors and that is looking highly unlikely.

1 RBR-Renault 295
2 McLaren-Mercedes 206
3 Ferrari 129
4 Renault 61
5 Mercedes 58
6 Sauber-Ferrari 27
7 STR-Ferrari 16
8 Force India-Mercedes 12
9 Williams-Cosworth 4

2010 Qualifying

Qualifying was once again dominated by Red Bull, but there was a growing controversy over the replacement of a damaged front wing on Vettel's car with the front wing off Webber's car. Red Bull had only brought two new front wings to Silverstone and as a result Webber was forced to use the previous spec wing for qualifying and the race. The decision was made even more contentious when Vettel outqualified Webber by a mere 0.14 of a second with a big margin back to Alonso in third.

1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1:29.615
2 Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1:29.758
3 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1:30.426
4 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1:30.556
5 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:30.625
6 Robert Kubica Renault 1:31.040
7 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:31.172
8 Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1:31.175
9 Pedro de la Rosa BMW Sauber-Ferrari 1:31.274
10 Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1:31.430

2010 Race

Last year's race was won by Mark Webber, and following the front wing controversy, he made the infamous statement "Not bad for a number two driver, eh?"

1 Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1:24:38.200
2 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes +1.360
3 Nico Rosberg Mercedes +21.307
4 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes +21.986
5 Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth +31.456
6 Kamui Kobayashi BMW Sauber-Ferrari +32.171
7 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault +36.734
8 Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes +40.932
9 Michael Schumacher Mercedes +41.599
10 Nico Hulkenberg Williams-Cosworth +42.012

Silverstone sees a return to the hard and soft compound tyre combination of the early races of the year. This may not be good news for Ferrari who have struggled on the hard tyre in previous races. The Ferrari has been heavily updated since those races and it will be interesting to see if their hard tyre performance has improved. Look for the times in FP1 as a guide to Ferraris hard tyre performance as the prime tyre is only available in FP1, with the option making an appearance in FP2. McLaren should be happy with a return to a relatively high speed circuit

The notable technical change for Silverstone is the bannng of hot and cold blowing of the diffuser, also known as engine overrun. Whether or not this change brings Red Bull back to the pack is one of the crucial questions for 2011, and a dominant Red Bull performance at Silverstone will mean the Championship is all but gone for the rest of the field.

Re: 2011 Formula One World Championship - Round Nine - British Grand Prix Silverstone (8-10 July 201

interested to see the new circuit, as well as the banning of diffusers. i believe red bull (newey i think) said that it will cost them half a second a lap.

the article in f1 mag pumps the new circuit up big time though, so hoping it doesnt disappoint.

Re: 2011 Formula One World Championship - Round Nine - British Grand Prix Silverstone (8-10 July 201

Also looking forward to the new layout. And too having another Aussie on the grid!

(I just hope that it doesnt result in more irrational "You have to follow him because he's an Aussie" arguments)

interested to see the new circuit, as well as the banning of diffusers. i believe red bull (newey i think) said that it will cost them half a second a lap.

the article in f1 mag pumps the new circuit up big time though, so hoping it doesnt disappoint.

IIRC the circuit is actually the same one they used last year for F1 (with the new section for the first time)

The only thing that has changed since last year is the new pit complex/start finish line is now between Club and Abbey corners instead of between Woodcote and copse.

IIRC the circuit is actually the same one they used last year for F1 (with the new section for the first time)

The only thing that has changed since last year is the new pit complex/start finish line is now between Club and Abbey corners instead of between Woodcote and copse.

correct - the only change this year is the new pit complex and the start/finish line location that goes with it.

Its going to be extremely interesting to see how long Ricciardo takes to get up to speed in the HRT given he has only driven Red Bull cars to date.

If he out qualifies Luizzi then you can assume he is an absolute gun!

Its going to be extremely interesting to see how long Ricciardo takes to get up to speed in the HRT given he has only driven Red Bull cars to date.

If he out qualifies Luizzi then you can assume he is an absolute gun!

if he gets within 90 seconds of luizzi then he's a gun :eek:

knowing australian's in poor cars he'll park it in the points.

Well we're on another ruined circuit with the changes to the layout adding absolutely nothing to the racing. Ricciardo will be happy just to get within 107% in Q1, otherwise I suspect it could be McLaren's day.

Well we're on another ruined circuit with the changes to the layout adding absolutely nothing to the racing. Ricciardo will be happy just to get within 107% in Q1, otherwise I suspect it could be McLaren's day.

Huh? It's full of fast corners. Red Bull OWN Silverstone right now.

Huh? It's full of fast corners. Red Bull OWN Silverstone right now.
Yeah I couldn't quite get that post either. This is the track that banning off throttle blowing will have the least effect on, nearly every corner is on throttle.

Williams using Renault engines in 2012 and 2013. Finally getting away from those god awful Cosworths. Is the sleeping giant stirring?

I sincerely hope so. It's been far too long since Williams last won a race, let alone the championship. For the first time in a long time, I can feel positive about next year.

I can feel positive about next year.
Certainly, at the present moment they might be better off yanking the cosworth out and fred flinstoning their way around the track.*

*Will need to get a Minimum weight exemption.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adrian Newey has stated that the engine overrun rule change could affect the Red Bull in a big way....

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/170942/2/newey_exhaust_changes_will_affect_red_bull_quite_heavily.html

It is quite a big change. We've got to re-optimise the car around a different set of parameters to what it was designed and developed to up to this date. We've got to look at whether we need to change the aerodynamics of the car itself, how we operate the car right down to things like does it affect tyre life?

“I think we will be quite heavily affected because our car was designed around the exhaust in as much as it was part of the design right from the outset. Probably with the exception of Renault and ourselves, everybody else has generally-speaking copied someone else's principal – mainly ours – and adapted to the car that they had pre-season. It might therefore be, because our car has been designed around it, that it's going to be more of a hit for us, but it's very difficult to forecast.

Personally, I have my doubts about a changing of the guard at Silverstone. There are just too many high speed corners that are right up Red Bull's alley to make the rule change have any real change.

I'll admit that the gap back to the rest may be smaller than it would have been without the rule change, but I'm still expecting RB to have at least a couple of tenths up their sleeve during qualifying. It could be a different story at the low speed tracks later in the year though....

There's an excellent article on formula1.com on the characteristics of the Silverstone track. The article breaks down the track and outlines the speed through various sections of the layout.

here's an example:

With the new corner numbering, Copse Corner is Turn Nine while the Becketts complex accounts for Turns 10 to 14, and Stowe is Turn 15. This section of the circuit is 1.88 km long (32 per cent of the lap distance) and negotiated at an average speed of 272 km/h - in around 25 seconds. The lowest speed of the car during this sequence is 195 km/h.

it's well worth a read....

http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2011/7/12260.html

Just a single DRS zone for Silverstone leading into turn 6. Since Turn 5 is taken flat out, the fact that the activation point is before it wont matter too much

silverstone_drs_zone-470x584.jpg

No race weekend in the UK would be complete without the odd rain shower, so here's the weather forecast for the three days:

Fri - Light Rain Shower Max 18°C Min 11°C
Sat - Light Rain Shower Max 21°C Min 11°C
Sun - Sunny Intervals Max 21°C Min 12°C

The rain amounts expected aren't very high (1-3mm), but you never know, it could spice up qualifying....

Mark Webber tops P1.
Ricciardo went good finishing .034 seconds behind Liuzzi's best.

Mark Webber tops P1.
Ricciardo went good finishing .034 seconds behind Liuzzi's best.

and he beats Luizzi in fp2!

and he beats Luizzi in fp2!
Yep, not only that, Liuzzi crossed the line last on a drying track so it wasn't a 'false' time influenced by the conditions.

Considering Luizzi outpaced Vettel in nearly every race his debut season, that's a solid start from Ricciardo. Need to wait for qualy when theres something on the line though.

Considering Luizzi outpaced Vettel in nearly every race his debut season, that's a solid start from Ricciardo. Need to wait for qualy when theres something on the line though.

For about 3-4 races out of 7, before he found his feet and started to beat him in the last few.

I think you would, if Ricciardo is as good as Marko believes he is, expect him to be at a level pegging with Liuzzi relatively quickly. Probably quicker than Seb was, given Dan is a couple of years older than Seb was, and has had more formative racing before being introduced.

Having briefly met the kid, he's one of the nicest guys you'll meet. Very friendly guy. Time for everyone. Really hoping he does well. :thumbsu:

For about 3-4 races out of 7, before he found his feet and started to beat him in the last few.

I think you would, if Ricciardo is as good as Marko believes he is, expect him to be at a level pegging with Liuzzi relatively quickly. Probably quicker than Seb was, given Dan is a couple of years older than Seb was, and has had more formative racing before being introduced.

Having briefly met the kid, he's one of the nicest guys you'll meet. Very friendly guy. Time for everyone. Really hoping he does well. :thumbsu:

Agree with all that, I wasn't trying to imply Liuzzi is better than Vettel. Just that getting into an unfamiliar car and nearly matching/beating your experienced team mate would be quite an achievement and a good sign for the future if he is in fact, able to do it.

Like I said, practice is one thing, qualy/race is another. I look forward to the latter.

Go Dan!:thumbsu:

lol Mercedes powered cars allowed to fuel on the overrun (basically hot blowing) and Renault only allowed 10% cold blowing, reverting away from the 50% they were allowed yesterday. Laughable.

Talk about inequality.

All these rule changes.. Mid season.. Jeeeeeez.

Webber out of practice 3 with 'engine related issues'. Will hopefully be ok for qualifying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back