NRL 2012 - Round 4

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing with the video ref, is it is just one guy's opinion. It has its flaws.
I wouldn't have been upset at all with a botd try, but he did ground the ball a foot before the try line and i think he lost it when momentum carried him over the lline. I don't think he clearly got downward pressure on it either. But hey, it's all opinion. I am still learning the game and although i do have a very good grasp of the rules now, i still like to ask questions so it can help me better understand.

The thing with the video ref, is it is just one guy's opinion. It has its flaws.
I wouldn't have been upset at all with a botd try, but he did ground the ball a foot before the try line and i think he lost it when momentum carried him over the lline. I don't think he clearly got downward pressure on it either. But hey, it's all opinion. I am still learning the game and although i do have a very good grasp of the rules now, i still like to ask questions so it can help me better understand.

It's all good mate. Keep firing away.

The knights winning surprised me and without going through the thread again, I imagine most people had picked the doggies after their awesome display against the Warriors.

I haven't seen the game yet but looking forward to watching the replay later in the week.
I haven't looked at the stats yet, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the team that plays the Warriors, loses the following week. That seemed a familiar pattern for some years a while ago.

I just watched that game. Terrific defence from the Knights. It looked like they would hold the Dogs scoreless, but they managed a try with a couple of minutes to go. Danny Buderus is such a smart footballer, isn't he? I always really rated him when he was at Leeds.

You ask when unsure. Nothing wrong with trying to learn mate.

As AMel has said, they are meant to defer to the attacking side when unsure and tbh I am never sure why this isn't enforced more rigidly. The rule is quite clear, if you can't rule it out you give the BOD to the attacking side and award the try.

Certainly 10 views of inconclusive video would fall under that definition.

I'd prefer to see us move to a variation of the NFL model. Force the on field official to make a gut call, then once sent upstairs for review - it must be conclusive that the ref made the wrong call to see it overturned.

(the variation being that refs rather than coaches send it for review in RL)

You ask when unsure. Nothing wrong with trying to learn mate.

As AMel has said, they are meant to defer to the attacking side when unsure and tbh I am never sure why this isn't enforced more rigidly. The rule is quite clear, if you can't rule it out you give the BOD to the attacking side and award the try.

Certainly 10 views of inconclusive video would fall under that definition.

I'd prefer to see us move to a variation of the NFL model. Force the on field official to make a gut call, then once sent upstairs for review - it must be conclusive that the ref made the wrong call to see it overturned.

(the variation being that refs rather than coaches send it for review in RL)
Like the cricket? The umpire makes a call and then it's up to the video to prove it wrong and if it can't then the onfield decision stays?
I like that idea.:thumbsu:

I think the option the refs use in Super Rugby works better.

"give me a reason why I can't award the try"

Why after 10 viewings don't you go back to "refs call" anyway?

From this early stage of precedings i think it will take a very good side to topple the Storm for the premiership. The foursome of Smith, Cronk, Slater and widdop are without peer and easily the best combination in the NRL.
Good luck to everyone else trying to plot their downfall...........As for the dogs:(

I think the option the refs use in Super Rugby works better.

"give me a reason why I can't award the try"

Agree 100%. In other words, it is always "ref's call" - the video ref is simply a backstop in case there is an obvious reason why the try shouldn't be awarded. They do only use the video ref in very limited circumstances though (eg obstructions aren't able to be reviewed, I believe). You'd have to think through whether the "give me a reason" system could be applied as broadly as what the NRL does with its current video ref arrangements - can't think why it couldn't though.

Given our form so far this year. ha

Video ref. reason I like the NFL system is there is no chickening out. The ref will always have an opinion, force him to make the call (either way) and then overturn if definitive vision exists to show he was wrong.

From this early stage of precedings i think it will take a very good side to topple the Storm for the premiership. The foursome of Smith, Cronk, Slater and widdop are without peer and easily the best combination in the NRL.
Good luck to everyone else trying to plot their downfall...........As for the dogs:(

We need to see them up against a decent pack first.

That will tell us how much Melbourne have improved.

As good as those 4 are, if the pack isn't making metres, they wont be effective come finals. As we saw last year.

Have also played 2 of the likely bottom 3. Only team of any sort of quality they have played is Souths (yes Tigers will lose to the Raiders tonight), which was in Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to see them up against a decent pack first.

That will tell us how much Melbourne have improved.

As good as those 4 are, if the pack isn't making metres, they wont be effective come finals. As we saw last year.

Have also played 2 of the likely bottom 3. Only team of any sort of quality they have played is Souths (yes Tigers will lose to the Raiders tonight), which was in Melbourne.

I think the Warriors with their size are the only side capable of really troubling the Storm.

I can't see the Raiders getting within a bulls roar of the Tigers tonight.

Just finished watching Cowboys /Sharks. I know I keep saying this, but Paul Gallen is a phenomenon, isn't he? Just what is that guy made of? He seemed to be everywhere in that game, and his winning try was richly deserved for an outstanding performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back