List Mgmt. 2013 draft and trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe we should retain pick 1 and trade 10 and 20 and 3rd rounder for players like brown brothers and ignore buddy. Use the tensing picks to snare Boyd, a decent state league ruck eg Paul Johnson from east Perth, upgrade Williams. Target a player such as Adam selwood via FA and secure EWB as a NT zone selection. So essentially we have added Nathan and Mitch brown, Tom Boyd, EWB, selwood, Johnson. That to me would be a successful trade/draft and target everything we have at NN in 2014.

Probably good points under normal circumstances but I think we have to appreciate why the club administration are so keen on getting Buddy at all costs. While no doubt a player of his ability will help the team on field it is the media and off field potential they will be chasing. Even if we select a few solid backs like the Brown brothers and a handy State league ruck and win a few games next year it is hard to imagine the club getting the media attention it will require to lift attendances , TV ratings and drive sponsorship.

On the other hand Buddy doing what Buddy does best which is bringing the X factor to the game may just be enough to catch the attention of Sydney and its media, similar to what the Swans have done in the past with Lockett, Hall etc.

Plenty may disagree but to me the best scenario for the club (on and off field) will be if we get Buddy via free agency and trade the top draft pick to attract a quality Ruck and key back. Long term we may regret not taking Boyd but I am not sure we have 2 years to wait in the Sydney market hoping that he develops into a topliner.

Thing about Boyd is he is ready to go like Patton was. He is 102kg already and 199cm he could be the type of player that relishes a baptism of fire eg darling.

Just further confirmation that all our picks are on the table

Greater Western Sydney has declared each of its draft picks, including a potential No.1 selection, is up for grabs during this year's trade period as the club ramps up its bid to catch an elusive big fish.

Satisfied with the talent they have mined from the 2011-12 drafts, the Giants are hunting players entering the prime of their careers - and they may also have the bait to entice rival clubs to bite.

''Every draft pick, including pick one, is on the table,'' Giants football manager Graeme Allan said

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/giants-plan-to-trade-for-readymade-stars-20130607-2nvt7.html

Thing about Boyd is he is ready to go like Patton was. He is 102kg already and 199cm he could be the type of player that relishes a baptism of fire eg darling.

It will be fascinating to see what they do with Boyd.

My only concern with these big kids is that they might be solid enough but they still generally take years to develop the strength to go with the size. Look at Patton, it is easy to see the huge future he has but he hasn't exactly monstered the backs he has come up against so far and spends most of the game being pushed under the ball. Most of his goals have come on long leads or through agility at ground level.

I reckon Boyd will be considered a work in progress for a few years like most young key forwards. But hey there are always exceptions to every rule and as you say Jack Darling fired at a young age. It will be an interesting post season for the club either way.

You are way over rating Mumford as at the moment he the number 2 ruck at the swans and there are large question marks on him getting thru a season at best he is worth pick 2 plus a fridge player such as Darley.

And even if the swans did package Mumford & Grundy hard to see us paying more then pick 10 at the most

I would love to get a Grundy in but you're probably right about Mumford. I probably have rose coloured glasses there because I love the way he goes about it. Scharenberg seems to have performed very nicely in the under 19's but is he an x factor like Boyd. I see no drama in stockpiling elite talls.

It would seem that the 3 clubs who would give almost anything for Pick 1 and Boyd are the Bulldogs, Saints and Carlton. It will be interesting to see what they all put up.

Trouble is I don't think those clubs really have the currency to satisfy us!

Maybe the Bulldogs if they gave up pick 3 and a Stringer but we mostly need a ruckman and key defender. Wonder if Fremantle will get involved, they seem to have a few rucks there and desperately need a key forward.

It would seem that the 3 clubs who would give almost anything for Pick 1 and Boyd are the Bulldogs, Saints and Carlton. It will be interesting to see what they all put up.
I think you've got it ordered in the amount they can offer. Bulldogs and Saints are fortunately in that "rebuilding" phase now, so can afford to lose some older talented players, if it means snaring pick 1. And they also have better 1st round picks than Carlton. (Dogs probably pick 3, and Saints anywhere between 5-10).

I would love to get a Grundy in but you're probably right about Mumford. I probably have rose coloured glasses there because I love the way he goes about it. Scharenberg seems to have performed very nicely in the under 19's but is he an x factor like Boyd. I see no drama in stockpiling elite talls.

do u mean heath from the swans or brodie from pies?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trouble is I don't think those clubs really have the currency to satisfy us!

Maybe the Bulldogs if they gave up pick 3 and a Stringer but we mostly need a ruckman and key defender. Wonder if Fremantle will get involved, they seem to have a few rucks there and desperately need a key forward.
If there's no players at those clubs worth including from our end, we'd probably start off with #1 for their 1st and 2nd picks, then on-trade that 2nd pick (early 20s) in a combo with other picks or one of our fringe players.

I think you've got it ordered in the amount they can offer. Bulldogs and Saints are fortunately in that "rebuilding" phase now, so can afford to lose some older talented players, if it means snaring pick 1. And they also have better 1st round picks than Carlton. (Dogs probably pick 3, and Saints anywhere between 5-10).

Unfortunately Saints have a very real chance of pick 2 - 3, pick 1 may not be as attractive to them as a Taylor Adams type offering...
They also need desperately need tall defenders.

Would Higgins + 3 be close to pinching the number one pick?

Think he could be of pretty good value and GWS and falls into a needy age bracket.

Would Higgins + 3 be close to pinching the number one pick?

Think he could be of pretty good value and GWS and falls into a needy age bracket.

Higgins + 3 would be a touch light on. Some have suggested Minson + Higgins + 3 for Boyd would be closer to the mark. Minson is 28 but seems sound physically, Higgins injury prone last few years would be a concern.

Higgins + 3 would be a touch light on. Some have suggested Minson + Higgins + 3 for Boyd would be closer to the mark. Minson is 28 but seems sound physically, Higgins injury prone last few years would be a concern.

Pie in the sky mate. Don't forget we might still get boyd anyway. If you get Franklin, already have patton, you wont pick boyd. You will ask for overs again like last time, and trade period will close with you still holding pick 1. You get scharenberg.We still have another game against melb to play, and may well lose to you this week.

Word on twitter is you wanted Griffen... what does that tell you about how realistic you are being.

Bulldogs gave us Ward, lets just swap no.1 picks with them and call it a day... we still come out ahead :)

Indeed, we got robbed of a future captain for 1 pick, and you still want to bend us over for pick 1. I think it will be a 3-4 way deal that gets done in the end. but unless it finishes with US getting pick 1. we won't be in it. Plenty of talent at pick 2 or 3.

Oh and you can have Higgins for a slab of VB.

Pie in the sky mate. Don't forget we might still get boyd anyway. If you get Franklin, already have patton, you wont pick boyd. You will ask for overs again like last time, and trade period will close with you still holding pick 1. You get scharenberg.We still have another game against melb to play, and may well lose to you this week.

That's a good point, with Boyd on the table, pick 1 is worthless to us (a good position to be in). Anything we can get to trade down is a bonus.

Question; lets assume you guys end up with the number one pick:

Would a trade of Bellchambers AND Pears interest you think? Both are mates, both could potentially go and I don't believe the club would be devestated by losing them.

Of course, I don't speak for all Bomber fans but the thought has crossed my mind.

If we could find a way to work a deal in for Adams and a VERY high pick from you guys I reckon both parties might be interested.

Question; lets assume you guys end up with the number one pick:

Would a trade of Bellchambers AND Pears interest you think? Both are mates, both could potentially go and I don't believe the club would be devestated by losing them.

Of course, I don't speak for all Bomber fans but the thought has crossed my mind.

If we could find a way to work a deal in for Adams and a VERY high pick from you guys I reckon both parties might be interested.

While both those players would fill a need I would think that we wouldn't pay more then pick 10 and a fringe player for those two. Really for pick 1 it needs to be an A grader, or something like the dogs pick 3 plus a solid player.

While both those players would fill a need I would think that we wouldn't pay more then pick 10 and a fringe player for those two. Really for pick 1 it needs to be an A grader, or something like the dogs pick 3 plus a solid player.

Fair call - we wouldn't give up Ryder or Daniher; nor Hurley or Carlisle.

So that'd be that then I suppose.

Fair call - we wouldn't give up Ryder or Daniher; nor Hurley or Carlisle.

So that'd be that then I suppose.

I don't think Essendon need pick 1 do they (esp with Daniher)? They are a season or two from a solid crack at the flag, they need to keep their players and try and pick up another Goddard type.

The teams that need the pick are the ones that are just about to rebuild or need a new KPF (in 3-4 years time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back