List Mgmt. 2023 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade, Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm

Here's the list of GWS players who are out of contract in 2023 (I'll progressively cross them out as they re-sign):
  • Lachie ASH
  • Callan WARD (Free Agent)
  • Brayden PREUSS
  • Tom GREEN
  • Finn CALLAGHAN
  • Lachlan KEEFFE (Free Agent)
  • Jake RICCARDI
  • Harry HIMMELBERG (Free Agent)
  • Cam FLEETON - delisted (25/9/23)
  • Matt FLYNN (Free Agent) - signed by West Coast as an Unrestricted Free Agent
  • Xavier O'HALLORAN
  • Jack BUCKLEY
  • Callum BROWN
Rookie lists:
  • Phil DAVIS (Free Agent) - retiring at end of 2023 season
  • Jacob WEHR (Free agent)
  • Dan LLOYD (Free Agent) - retiring at end of 2023 season
  • Cooper HAMILTON
  • Wade DERKSEN
  • Nick MADDEN (Cat B) - assumed re-signed due to 2 sources of info
  • Jason GILBEE (Cat B) - delisted (25/9/23)
Current list sizes (for when we get to list/draft/trade speculation):
  • main list = 36 minus 3 (Fleeton, Flynn + Kennedy delisted with a view to be re-selected in the rookie draft)
  • rookie A = 6 minus 2 (Davis, Lloyd)
  • rookie B = 2 minus 1 (Gilbee)
  • total = 44 minus 5
This is the future pick spreadsheet that comes into play only at trade time, as future picks are used in end of season (2023) trading:

Here's the 2023 AFL Academy Squad, so these (roughly) represent the best players for next year as they stand now:

2023 NAB AFL ACADEMY​

NAMESURNAMESTATESTATE LEAGUE CLUBCOMMUNITY CLUB
LachlanCaborNSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademyShellharbour
NateCaddyVIC MNorthern KnightsYarrambat
JackCallinanTASTasmania DevilsClarence
CaidenClearyNSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademySydney University
DanielCurtinWAClaremontWest Coast
JackDeleanSASouth AdelaideReynella
ZaneDuursmaVIC CGippsland PowerFoster
MitchellEdwardsWAPeel ThunderSouth Mandurah
WilliamGreenVIC MNorthern KnightsNorthcote
RileyHardemanWASwan DistrictsCaversham
WilliamLorenzVIC MOakleigh ChargersBoroondara Hawks
KaneMcAuliffeSANorth AdelaideCentral Augusta
ColbyMcKercherTASTasmania DevilsLaunceston
AshtonMoirSAGlenelgPlympton
ConnorO'SullivanNSW/ACTMurray BushrangersAlbury
WilliamPattonSAWest AdelaideMitcham
NathanPhilactidesVIC MOakleigh ChargersBlackburn
EthanReadQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyPalm Beach Currumbin
ArcherReidVIC CGippsland PowerInverloch-Kongwak
HarleyReidVIC CBendigo PioneersTongala
ArchieRobertsVIC MSandringham DragonsHampton Rovers
JakeRogersQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyBroadbeach
RyleySandersTASSandringham DragonsNorth Launceston
CooperSimpsonVIC CDandenong StingraysMount Martha
GeorgeStevensVIC CGWV RebelsSouth Warrnambool
KoltynTholstrupWASubiacoNewtown-Condingup
OrlandoTurnerNTWest AdelaideSouth Alice Springs
JedWalterQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyPalm Beach Currumbin
NickWatsonVIC MEastern RangesEast Ringwood
DarcyWilsonVIC CMurray BushrangersWangaratta Rovers

Happy speculating for 2023!

EDIT: 11/12/22 - Added Free Agent status to OOC player list
EDIT: 24/2/23 - Crossed out Tom Green from OOC player list! (Woo Hoo!!) & Added 2023 Coates Talent League Fixture Link
EDIT: 27/2/23 - Crossed out Finn Callaghan from OOC player list! (Woo Hoo Hoo!!!)
EDIT: 27/4/23 - Crossed out Jacob Wehr from OOC player list
EDIT: 10/5/23 - Crossed out Jack Buckley from OOC player list :thumbsu:
EDIT: 9/7/23 - Crossed out Callum Brown from OOC player list
EDIT: 18/7/23 - Crossed out Lachie Ash from OOC player list
EDIT: 20/7/23 - Crossed out Xavier O'Halloran from OOC player list
EDIT: 3/8/23 - Crossed out Harry Himmelberg from OOC player list
EDIT: 9/8/23 - Crossed out Wade Derksen from OOC player list
EDIT: 17/8/23 - Noted Dan Lloyd retiring at end of season
EDIT: 19/8/23 - Crossed out Jake Riccardi from OOC player list
EDIT: 28/8/23 - Noted Phil Davis retiring at end of season
EDIT: 25/9/23 - Noted Cam Fleeton & Jason Gilbee delisted
EDIT: 4/10/23 - Noted Flynn, Preuss & Keeffe situations
EDIT: 9/10/23 - Updated Flynn to WCE, removed Preuss from OOC player list
EDIT: 12/10/23 - Updated Madden with 2 sources of information
EDIT: 19/10/23 - Updated Keeffe & Hamilton re-signed
EDIT: 31/10/23 - adjusted main list numbers with Adam Kennedy delisting (with a view to be re-selected in rookie draft)

Last edited:

So that’s like, what? A 2019 away jumper? Earlier? When did we give up Xblades?

where does he lay his hands on one of those that quickly? Nipped round to Mrs Cognilio’s place and asked to borrow one of Stephen’s old ones?

impressed though - not just with the speed but also the smile.

Do wonder long term how we navigate the long list of non-Toby/key forwards on this list because at the moment it could be
Leake
Jones
Gothard
Bedford
Daniels
Peatling
McMullin
Stone
XO
Thomas
Brown
  • Plan would be for Daniels and Bedford to be here long term
  • Brown really came on last year and still has heaps of growth left
  • Jones, Leake and Gothard are first round picks so would assume they have at least 4 years on the list
  • XO was playing the best footy of his career before he got injured but picked up a 2 year extension in the meantime
  • Stone getting to the end of his rope I imagine
  • McMullin playing in his first year is impressive but ultimately they've just brought in 2 guys that play a similar position which they have more invested in so his development could be shifted to the backburner
  • Peatling is just sort of there as depth at the moment and with the amount of young guys we have in these roles now it wouldn't surprise me for him be purely last resort in order to get games into the younger lads unless they're completely unready
It's going to be a lot of guys battling for similar spots next year and in the future so will be interesting to see how it all pans out. Would guess Daniels, Bedford, Leake, Gothard and Jones are the core of the group in an ideal world and they cycle depth around them but then again Brown blew me away last year and if the form XO showed before getting injured is real then he might be a part of the group as well. Seems like a move up the ground is inevitable for at least one of them, Leake and Jones would be the candidates imo.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we'd develop
Do wonder long term how we navigate the long list of non-Toby/key forwards on this list because at the moment it could be
Leake
Jones
Gothard
Bedford
Daniels
Peatling
McMullin
Stone
XO
Thomas
Brown
  • Jones, Leake and Gothard are first round picks so would assume they have at least 4 years on the list
  • XO was playing the best footy of his career before he got injured but picked up a 2 year extension in the meantime
  • McMullin playing in his first year is impressive but ultimately they've just brought in 2 guys that play a similar position which they have more invested in so his development could be shifted to the backburner
  • Peatling is just sort of there as depth at the moment and with the amount of young guys we have in these roles now it wouldn't surprise me for him be purely last resort in order to get games into the younger lads unless they're completely unready
It's going to be a lot of guys battling for similar spots next year and in the future so will be interesting to see how it all pans out. Would guess Daniels, Bedford, Leake, Gothard and Jones are the core of the group in an ideal world and they cycle depth around them but then again Brown blew me away last year and if the form XO showed before getting injured is real then he has to be a part of the group as well. Seems like a move up the ground is inevitable for at least one of them, Leake and Jones would be the candidates imo.
l think we'd develop Leake as a defender/mid to begin with.

Last year in that Port Adelaide game (in season) showed how vulnerable we are without the pace of Bedford and Daniels up forward. That pace up forward is huge for our structure....having Jones, Gothard and McMullin as depth for them is a good idea.

I'm praying for Stone. I really think he just needs a good run injury wise.

Brown and XO is a good point. They might be fighting for a spot by the end of the year.

I think we'd develop

l think we'd develop Leake as a defender/mid to begin with.

Last year in that Port Adelaide game (in season) showed how vulnerable we are without the pace of Bedford and Daniels up forward. That pace up forward is huge for our structure....having Jones, Gothard and McMullin as depth for them is a good idea.

I'm praying for Stone. I really think he just needs a good run injury wise.

Brown and XO is a good point. They might be fighting for a spot by the end of the year.
If Leake is a defender who's spot is he pushing for? The back 6 seems so set to me that it's hard to see someone breaking in, Taylor, Buckley, Idun, HH, Ash, Whitfield and Perryman, it's just hard to see him playing over any of those guys even a couple years down the line, unless he's REALLY good that doesn't even include Haynes and Cumming. Fit just seems a bit more unclear down back which is what makes mid/fwd more intriguing to me, think there's a clearer avenue to playing time with it a bit less settled and he also looked super dynamic up forward.

If it adds up to good depth then that’s a great result. It’s pretty clear speed is a priority.
Collingwood are going for the same thing.
Both McRae and Kingsley know Richmond were at their best when they had 5 or 6 smaller, quick and agile types who can repeat sprint for 4 quarters, was when they were able to execute their gamestyle the best.

If Leake is a defender who's spot is he pushing for? The back 6 seems so set to me that it's hard to see someone breaking in, Taylor, Buckley, Idun, HH, Ash, Whitfield and Perryman, it's just hard to see him playing over any of those guys even a couple years down the line, unless he's REALLY good that doesn't even include Haynes and Cumming. Fit just seems a bit more unclear down back which is what makes mid/fwd more intriguing to me, think there's a clearer avenue to playing time with it a bit less settled and he also looked super dynamic up forward.
Leake, if he becomes a backman rather than mid, will free Pez up to play midfield which we know he can do.

Leake
Jones
Gothard
Bedford
Daniels
Peatling
McMullin
Stone
XO
Thomas
Brown
It's going to be a lot of guys battling for similar spots next year and in the future so will be interesting to see how it all pans out. Would guess Daniels, Bedford, Leake, Gothard and Jones are the core of the group in an ideal world and they cycle depth around them but then again Brown blew me away last year and if the form XO showed before getting injured is real then he might be a part of the group as well. Seems like a move up the ground is inevitable for at least one of them, Leake and Jones would be the candidates imo.
Peatling is a utility, can also play back, has also played back (makes for a good sub option)

I see XO as more of a mid/forward rather than just a forward.

Brown has also spent a lot of time in defence, but given his year this year, you’d probably keep him forward from now on.

Leake apparently can play anywhere too, maybe look to develop him as a linking winger if he has (or can develop) the tank (can’t be any worse than Angwin)

Thomas is so far down the list it’s unlikely you need to factor him in for at least 2 or 3 years

Gothard & McMullin are young - Toby isn’t. A couple of years with occasional games and then perfectly primed to step in when needed down the track.

whichever way you look at it, we’re in good shape

Leake, if he becomes a backman rather than mid, will free Pez up to play midfield which we know he can do.
Are we sure Perryman can play midfield? He was underwhelming when he started the year there and eventually moved out, might've been a down patch for him but what he showed at the start of the season wasn't good enough to be played mainly as a mid.

Are we sure Perryman can play midfield? He was underwhelming when he started the year there and eventually moved out, might've been a down patch for him but what he showed at the start of the season wasn't good enough to be played mainly as a mid.
He's played well in the midfield before. He did tear his hammy first 5 minutes of the season so was behind things cming back from injury (he still averaged 20 touches and 6.5 tackles in the midfield after his injury) ... I think being shifted around takes time to get used to, but I would back him in if he moved there long term

He's played well in the midfield before. He did tear his hammy first 5 minutes of the season so was behind things cming back from injury (he still averaged 20 touches and 6.5 tackles in the midfield after his injury) ... I think being shifted around takes time to get used to, but I would back him in if he moved there long term
Yeah maybe, he looked better in there under McVeigh so willing to give it another go, his numbers might've looked ok (not that impressive) but he didn't pass the eye test as someone who was really effective inside.

Perryman is just too good in that back 6. He balanced Ash and Whitfield's run out with a defensive mindset. I think that's what let him usurp Cumming who wasn't having a bad time in the back line. I can see Cumming transitioning to full time wing this preseason.

My point about Leake playing mid/back isn't that he will take anyone's spot....I just think it's a good place to start the apprenticeship. Ideally he has scope to be a genuine mid.

Yeah maybe, he looked better in there under McVeigh so willing to give it another go, his numbers might've looked ok (not that impressive) but he didn't pass the eye test as someone who was really effective inside.
Mate, not saying we have to move him in there, but it could be an option if we find Leake is better down back than in the midfield ... it could be that someone else moves or Rowston comes on leaps and bounds. Just highlighting the flexibility it provides.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back