News 2014 AFL Fantasy Prices

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunno where else to put this, but the Fantasy prices articles that the AFL are putting out are laughable. There's gonna be about 60 'locks' for everyone's squad by the end of the year. And most of them are shithouse.

Wait.. so DT is now called AFL Fantasy, and AFL Fantasy last year was the drafting game?
Why change the name when it ain't broke, or is it to become more like the NFL version.... :rolleyes:

Probably don't want to congratulate VS. The fact that they are no longer involved is probably the reason that that a change got through.

Want to take a guess on who owns the rights to the name Dreamteam? :)

yeah nah, dislike that, never a fan of that. HOWEVER does it have all the prices? well, correct prices?
Not correct prices yet.. But a good estimate. You will just have to wait for it to open I guess. Have fun! :thumbsu:

SO it seems no team planner this time around which is sad :(

Supercoach has it, and it's out now!
I've made a team planner in Excel using all of the 'leaked' prices/positions. The first tab is the player list, which you can run a variety of filters on.

The second page is the team planner. Copy and paste players (and their data) into position and it will automatically calculate cash spent, remaining cash, average player price, number of players per bye round, and how many premiums/mid-pricers/rookies you've got (I have this based on premiums>450,000, mid pricers 450,000-250,000, and rookies<250,000, but you can alter the values in the formulas if you want to change this).

You can download it here: http://www.speedyshare.com/QgdCZ/DreamTeam-2014.xlsx

Please note that you will need Microsoft Excel to use it though. Happy dreamteaming!

The prices of first round draft picks are crazy.

So much better value in 2nd or 3rd year players that were high draft picks and are still bottom price eg. Tyson, Patton etc.

Only first year player I'll be starting on the field will be McDonald or Scharenburg in defence. I usually start approx. 5 in previous years.

Round 1 massively critical it seems. Everyone will have the same team from Rd2 onwards.

Twitter:
DT Talk ‏@DTTALK 9m
The #AFLProspectus has told us that we'll have unlimited trades up until the start of Round 2. Thoughts? #AFLFantasy
----
Sydney, Hawthorn, West Coast players look tempting now with easy non travelling games in Rd1.

Should we get a NASCAR "Chase" for the final 8 rounds lol, everyone in the Top 1000 gets their points bumped up to 50,000. Or how about they introduce an F1 style double points for the last round too... lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1 massively critical it seems. Everyone will have the same team from Rd2 onwards.

Twitter:
DT Talk ‏@DTTALK 9m
The #AFLProspectus has told us that we'll have unlimited trades up until the start of Round 2. Thoughts? #AFLFantasy
----
Sydney, Hawthorn, West Coast players look tempting now with easy non travelling games in Rd1.

Can't be right. That is f***ing stupid.

I'm going to have ROK, Jack, Kennedy, Hanneberry, Mitchell, McVeigh, Parker and Franklin for Rd 1.

Then i'll trade most of them out and set up my real team for Rd 2.
GWS were within 5 goals of Sydney last year...

Plus don't the star players always struggle against GWS, it is the second tier players that shine ;)

Thankfully to avoid too much exploitation St. Kilda and Melbourne play each other.

Round 1 is a split round... Maybe that's why.

Anyway, my team will look like this for round 1:

6 premo backs (2x bottom price rookies)
8 premo mids (2x bottom price rookies)
2 cheap rucks (2x bottom price rookies)
6 premo forwards (2x bottom price rookies)

Something like that. Obviously I'll still be a little short on money and will have to roll with maybe 5 premo forwards/backs but you get the idea. Then I'll switch to my real team for round 2. YOLO.

Round 1 is a split round... Maybe that's why.

Anyway, my team will look like this for round 1:

6 premo backs (2x bottom price rookies)
8 premo mids (2x bottom price rookies)
2 cheap rucks (2x bottom price rookies)
6 premo forwards (2x bottom price rookies)

Something like that. Obviously I'll still be a little short on money and will have to roll with maybe 5 premo forwards/backs but you get the idea. Then I'll switch to my real team for round 2. YOLO.
Pretty much.

This year we have $333,333 to spend per player in the squad of 30. However if Rd1 doesn't count (nothing has been confirmed, but it looks that way), essentially it will be $412,727 per player for that round. Spend the bare minimum on rookies (8x115k) and use the rest on 22 premiums...

Actually sitting on it for a bit, it's not that bad. Good coaches will study for Rd1 and still pick the best squads, the masses will select their Rd2 onwards team from all the guys who did well in Rd1 and hinder themselves even more, while the good coaches will still know what everything is relative to and still pick a the best squad. If anything it favours people who are good at DT.

Thought of a few good analogies. It's like the time trial at the start of the Tour de France, or a one off Twenty20 match before the test series starts.

---

I'm more concerned about the price formula tbh. We know what it used to be, New Price = 75% of Old Price + 25% of 3 game rolling mean X Magic Number (which does usually get smaller as the season goes on)

It seems they have changed the 3 game rolling mean to a 2 game rolling mean, but is that the only alteration to the formula? We simply don't know at the moment, prices could now rise/drop much faster or much slower than what we're used to. We're flying a little blind at the moment.

Actually sitting on it for a bit, it's not that bad. Good coaches will study for Rd1 and still pick the best squads, the masses will select their Rd2 onwards team from all the guys who did well in Rd1 and hinder themselves even more, while the good coaches will still know what everything is relative to and still pick a the best squad. If anything it favours people who are good at DT.

Yeah well said. I honestly don't get the huge negative feedback.

Will definitely have to look past R1 scores as picking a player based on one game is something that won't work, although I bet lots of people will do it.

Will be planning two separate teams for R1/R2 - seems like the way to go.

Oh my God. **** this game.

Next year's rule changes: Everyone who signs up automatically gets 1,000,000 points a round and the competition ends in a 300,000 way tie.
Game has gone to crap, has been heading in the wrong direction for a few years, making it easier and more boring to play.

If only VS could keep the DT name/site and put centrebet on that instead to get the numbers up with the DT rules/scoring system. Wouldn't even bother with this AFL Fantasy crap if there was an option to play the DT of old.

Yeah well said. I honestly don't get the huge negative feedback.

Will definitely have to look past R1 scores as picking a player based on one game is something that won't work, although I bet lots of people will do it.

Will be planning two separate teams for R1/R2 - seems like the way to go.
I understand the negative attitude. I get that people are fearful of changes, two major changes two years in a row is a little annoying. And on the surface these changes do seem silly, but when you think about it, so was "Old School" DT, I mean the very notion of selecting a team purely on statistics, is a little silly, but at the end of the day it is just a little bit of fun.

There is no one version is "above" or more superior than another version, people have preferences though, and I think a lot of people's preference in favouring the old style versions is because there was certainty that they had the knowledge and that they had the strategy to perform.

I understand why some people don't like new rules being introduced, people generally don't want rules imposed on anything that will effect their performance, I get that. But just because you may or may not get your head around them doesn't make them any better or worse. My preference is that I personally enjoy the challenge of having to think of a completely new strategy. Some people mightn't like that and instead believe that having a certain structure year after year is more skilful, challenging and enjoyable.

At the end of the day, don't like it, don't play. And if don't like it, don't waste your time whinging about it.

At the end of the day, don't like it, don't play. And if don't like it, don't waste your time whinging about it.
Not sure I agree with that view on things. Basically letting them do whatever they want with a game you enjoy to play and then staying quiet when they make a change you dislike meaning they never hear about it which leads to them continuing to make more changes that the majority of the 'hardcore' fans dislike.

"Old School" DT rewarded those that were willing to put the effort into the game and were rewarded with it. Things like watching pre season games, looking at new roles for young players, the way teams were changing, players pre seasons (how they differed from the last, whether they struggled with injuries) etc all added up to picking a starting side against others who had done a similar thing. From there you were locked with this side with only 20 trades for the rest of the season. This meant you had to back everything you'd done over the pre season and would more often than not be rewarded for such.

Now the game keeps changing more and more meaning less and less research is needed/those that do it are rewarded far less as you're given more trades (2 a week as of the last season) and now the ability to completely restart your team after a whole round of football without any consequences. My favourite part of DT has always been picking my starting side, and mainly trying to get value from midpricers. Back in 2011 I had Fyfe who was a rather unique at the time for the most part and increased his average from 68.1 to 98.3 in that season. In round 1 he scored 95, I can only imagine just how many others would have then proceeded to jump on him if they were under the new system which allows you to remake your side at the conclusion of round 1. It removes the fun of actually backing yourself to pick a player that's gone under the radar and is going to improve as everyone will have the option to jump on the following week without any consequences (whereas with 20 odd trades, you couldn't jump at every promising score otherwise you'd feel it in the second half of the season) meaning you're taking a pointless risk. In turn it means everyone has similar sides. Round 1 for example, everyone will go into it trying to score as many points as possible meaning they'll most likely have the cheapest of cheapest rookies on their bench to maximse the cash spent on the field. After that everyone will remodel their sides to a more realistic side as they try to get both points and cash generation but they'll have a whole round of data to make their picks which will see even more similar sides than before. The worst part about last year was how impossible it was to make up ground in the second half of the season since everyone had the same sides, well now I bet starting sides will be more similar than ever before as we have a full round of football to base our selections off and I'm guessing 2 trades a week so we can all continue to make the same moves.

Don't get me wrong, the new system isn't going to be easy. New ways are going to be required to generate cash as well as learning how the new price changes work. But the game doesn't reward (or nearly as much as it once did) those that actually bother to read up on the AFL in the pre season or those that know how to trade well and it basically kills any uniqueness sides once had.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back