List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tp-richmond-tigers?year=2015&sby=15

So, that list isn't quite up to date, because Aaron Edwards is still on it. However that's the only error I can see there, which means if we take him out, there are 34 players on our list at the moment.

32 senior listed, and 2 rookies (Thomas and Miles).

We know Miles is coming onto the senior list, so that makes it 33/1. And we now know Taylor Hunt is coming on as a DFA, so that makes it 34/1

What kind of make up will our list have, in terms of Senior List and Rookie numbers?

Assuming we don't pick anybody else up in the DFA period, I have to assume that we're going to be going with a 38/6 model, as we've already committed our 5th pick in the ND to upgrading Miles, and there are very few clubs that take selections with picks after rookie upgrades.

Whatever the case, we definitely will bring it at least 4 kids through the draft though, which is always a good thing.

Who thinks we're going with a 38/6 model, and who reckons we're going to potentially try to grab somebody in the PSD (which has become ever more irrelevant since FA came into play, tbh)?
I personally believe we will go in with 39/5
We will use #12 ,#33,#52 +Miles+Hunt
1 PSD Selection also with probably having a few kids /players train with us to get a closer look

Thats what we should be doing anyway

Could we use 40/4 this year to gain the advantage of being able to pick up DFAs pre drafts giving us first pick over other clubs. Take them on 1 year deals so they don't impact cap in 16 if duds but as we have space in 15 we use it to our advantage.

Amy know odds of Petrenko or Lucas

Could we use 40/4 this year to gain the advantage of being able to pick up DFAs pre drafts giving us first pick over other clubs. Take them on 1 year deals so they don't impact cap in 16 if duds but as we have space in 15 we use it to our advantage.

Amy know odds of Petrenko or Lucas
$1.01 for me spewing up if we get them

Would people rage if FJ pulled another Conca and picked Blakely?

Would love Blakely. Really don't mind who we pick at 12 as there are so many players in that group IMO

Blakely, Cockatoo, Garlett, Duggan, De Goey, Ellis, Weller, Durdin, Goddard, Ahern, Lamb, Langford, Marchbank, and Menadue .

Its got great depth this draft.

Both talented BUT poss weak.

Are they Grigg piss weak or Rest of Richmond first half of 2014 piss weak?

If they are the latter Hardwick could help them become harder players and decent footballers. If they are Grigg piss weak pass.

Both talented BUT poss weak.

Are they Grigg piss weak or Rest of Richmond first half of 2014 piss weak?

If they are the latter Hardwick could help them become harder players and decent footballers. If they are Grigg piss weak pass.

Listening to the draft podcast, Cal Twomey is still adamant about us being right into Ellis. Seems Twomey rates him much higher than most.

In the same segment he mentioned Freo might look at Weller which implied he could be available. Imagine overlooking Weller for Ellis. Christ

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love Blakely. Really don't mind who we pick at 12 as there are so many players in that group IMO

Blakely, Cockatoo, Garlett, Duggan, De Goey, Ellis, Weller, Durdin, Goddard, Ahern, Lamb, Langford, Marchbank, and Menadue .

Its got great depth this draft.
Love Duggan, Ahern or Goddard. I reckon Ahern'd be the only one that'll go to 12

Listening to the draft podcast, Cal Twomey is still adamant about us being right into Ellis. Seems Twomey rates him much higher than most.

In the same segment he mentioned Freo might look at Weller which implied he could be available. Imagine overlooking Weller for Ellis. Christ

I like Ellis alot, but would prefer Weller.

The classic question following a player being featured on the AFL website - what are peoples thoughts on Caleb Marchbank. Wasn't even considering him at all until I saw that he played a lot of junior footy on the wing and could potentially play as a tall mid. We don't really have a pressing need for a tall back but a guy who could play tall mid and drift forward could be good.

Why is no one talking about Nick Mellington?!
Big bodied in and under player that we need

Would people rage if FJ pulled another Conca and picked Blakely?
Not me. Can be something special imo. Just in terms of pure mids I don't see why he wouldn't be right up there in our considerations being that guys like Duggan and De Goey, even though have great potential, are flankers first and mids second.

I really like the look of Blakely. Seems to be able to use his agility in traffic to open up pathways to distribute the ball effectively. Taller guy who can get his hands free in the heat of the contest to dispose effectively and has runs on the board at senior level. I wouldn't be surprised if FJ went for him - fills a need directly unlike De Goey who looks to have more tricks but seems to have played more as a HFF flank who has pinch hit in the middle.

That being said I think the clubs policy is to take best available regardless of need in the first round which will most likely mean that we don't take Blakely - as it seems there will be better players on offer.

Not me. Can be something special imo. Just in terms of pure mids I don't see why he wouldn't be right up there in our considerations being that guys like Duggan and De Goey, even though have great potential, are flankers first and mids second.

Exactly, I fully agree. I've seen people knock Blakely for a lack of versatility, ie you may not be able to plonk him forward for a rotation. Firstly, I disagree with that, and secondly, aren't pure mids what we're after first and foremost anyway? Drafting flankers with 'midfield potential' has been our tact for a while. Don't see anyone knocking Miles for lacking versatility and look at the impact he had this year. With more pure mids in the squad we'll be able to throw Cotchin and Martin up forward more often, Vlastuin on the back flank, Lids and Lennon on the forward flanks etc... which can only be a good thing. Add in the fact that he's nudging 190cm now, for a guy with his evasiveness and awareness in traffic, that's gold. Blakely, Conca and Miles as a starting on ball brigade would win its fair share of clearances.

The more I think about it the more I want him. I really think he'll be a great player and the exact type that'll have people saying 'how did he last that long?' in future. Probably the only realistic prospect I'd take ahead of him is Weller.

The go
I really like the look of Blakely. Seems to be able to use his agility in traffic to open up pathways to distribute the ball effectively. Taller guy who can get his hands free in the heat of the contest to dispose effectively and has runs on the board at senior level. I wouldn't be surprised if FJ went for him - fills a need directly unlike De Goey who looks to have more tricks but seems to have played more as a HFF flank who has pinch hit in the middle.

That being said I think the clubs policy is to take best available regardless of need in the first round which will most likely mean that we don't take Blakely - as it seems there will be better players on offer.
Yep he looks like a genuine inside mid which I think is our greatest immediate need. The best available might just be what Blakely brings to the table in the heavily contested game of modern football. I like how his highlights are in traffic, showing his ability to keep his feet, use agility and a burst of speed. Many of the more favoured types have their highlights on the outside. I'd like Blakely at 12, the go home factor is a negative but he is a country boy 2 hours from Perth which reduces the risk a little. (perhaps) interview is crucial l here. I like De Goey as well but Blakely might edge him as a true inside mid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back