2015 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We've been dominating possession all season. I think the reserves try to play the same gameplan as the firsts do.

Ah yes, the "Handball it to the teammate whos within touching distance of the opposition tackler, forcing a stoppage or free kick against. Its a cunning gameplan that should, eventually, work well.

And THAT effort in the defence then was shocking.

CMbyc07UkAA3X2R.jpg:large

Imagine if Bewick could repeat that in the big league...Keays and William looking the goods to.

Really like Bewick as a player. Has potential but his time to turn that potential into consistency is running out. Should be safe for this year though. Really feel we need to play him off Half Back permanently. Can be dangerous when he is on.

Really like Bewick as a player. Has potential but his time to turn that potential into consistency is running out. Should be safe for this year though. Really feel we need to play him off Half Back permanently. Can be dangerous when he is on.

I think he'd be safe if only because there are others that offer less potential use for the future. He's shown some great glimpses and whilst I don't think he'll ever be a star I think he can be an efficient cog in an strong side.

He showed some really positive signs last year, but he's regressed again this year. Would've been lucky to play many games this season if not for our injury situation.

Those stats possibly show that NEAFL form and numbers are to be taken with a grain of salt. Are our academy prospects being overrated by such a weak reserves grade?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A better effort but it's pretty clear we have the same "give it to someone under pressure" team plan as the seniors, which lets us down regularly.

Bewick everywhere but the same knock as Golby- to what effect?

Hipwood has very good hands and at this level is extra impressive, as he was yesterday. Up against more mature bodies he'll find it hard without more weight and strength. Then again another skinny one in Harris Andrews is doing more than ok.

Keays is a bore in ball-getter. As someone once remarked of Greg Williams, he's where the ball is. Disposal skills average right now.

Reuben Williams again impressive. Not sure what his recruitment status is, but I'd rate him well up there with Keays and Hipwood. Has pace to burn.

There was a very tall black bloke in the ruck who did ok. Are we developing an African support base?

A better effort but it's pretty clear we have the same "give it to someone under pressure" team plan as the seniors, which lets us down regularly.

Bewick everywhere but the same knock as Golby- to what effect?

Hipwood has very good hands and at this level is extra impressive, as he was yesterday. Up against more mature bodies he'll find it hard without more weight and strength. Then again another skinny one in Harris Andrews is doing more than ok.

Keays is a bore in ball-getter. As someone once remarked of Greg Williams, he's where the ball is. Disposal skills average right now.

Reuben Williams again impressive. Not sure what his recruitment status is, but I'd rate him well up there with Keays and Hipwood. Has pace to burn.

There was a very tall black bloke in the ruck who did ok. Are we developing an African support base?
mabair chol im assuming, somewhat politically incorrect but

Pretty worrying similarities between the seniors and reserves based on those figures. Win many of the significant stats but get well beaten on the scoreboard. Have to conclude from that that the stats are misleading.

I'm covering old ground here, but it must be a big bonus to the club to be able to watch how these academy kids go alongside potential AFL teammates before we decide whether to draft them. I know there's a big gap between the NEAFL and the AFL but surely our staff have a sophisticated understanding of how NEAFL form tracks to AFL form by now.

William and Wagner both appear to be players who might be a chance of being drafted, and both seem to be putting in solid performances in the NEAFL. Being able to see enough of them at that level to critically analyse each aspect of their game must be at least as useful as how they go in the national under 18s comp.

It's a really good system for us. So far it looks like we're taking advantage of it a bit better than the Suns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back