2015 Non-Crows AFL Discussion - Pt. 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
good on the AFL - the COLA was a handout, they got support from the AFL and they abused it.
No **** the AFL. They should never have handed them COLA in the first place, they shouldn't be trying to manufacture a trade to any club and they shouldn't have given us 18 clubs which means we have too many average players playing the game. Then they change the rules repeatedly to clean up their mess. End rant.

Adelaide and geelong are sat night apparently.
The afl owe geelong a night game.

Works for me..Saturday morning is a fine time slot ;)

No **** the AFL. They should never have handed them COLA in the first place, they shouldn't be trying to manufacture a trade to any club and they shouldn't have given us 18 clubs which means we have too many average players playing the game. Then they change the rules repeatedly to clean up their mess. End rant.

Agreed. 18 is too many. I'd love them to move to a less Victorian centric competition and reduce teams to 16. Off the top of my head:

Bulldogs merge with GWS and push in to Canberra as well as Western Sydney.

Kangaroos & Saints merge.

Demons forced in to playing more games in NT.

Hawks become a Tasmanian club, play some games in Melbourne (reverse of what they currently do).

SA:
Crows
Port

WA:
Freo
Eagles

QLD:
Suns
Lions

NSW/ACT:
Swans
Giant Dogs

TAS:
Hawks

VIC:
Northern Saints
Bombers
Blues
Pies
Tigers
Geelong

NT/VIC:
Demons (split between)

----

Man there would be some pissed off fans....

http://www.news.com.au/national/afl...mission-chairman/story-e6frfkp9-1227470080663

AFL was behind the scenes working to get Franklin to GWS and got pissed when he went to Sydney. I'm shocked.

Richard Colless is a ******* ******. He needs to be kicked out of the AFL. He can get stuffed. I hate him.

That is just another damning indictment of the AFL - both the COLA etc for Sydney and more so the "legalised draft/salary cap tampering at its worst" in their efforts to get Franklin to GWS, yet we get fined and stripped of draft picks for much much less.
F*** I wish ISIS would visit AFL HQ and do the game a favour.

If the competition went to 16 teams..what is the feeling on 4 divisions of 4 teams each?

Adelaide
Port
Freemantle
West Coast

Split up the other 12 teams left in 3 other divisions.

Play home and away versus everyone in your division and one other division (on rotating basis). One game either home or away against the remaining 8 teams. Totals 22 games, same as now so no loss in revenue. (6+8+8)

Four division winners qualify for the 8 plus next best 4 records.

Agreed. 18 is too many. I'd love them to move to a less Victorian centric competition and reduce teams to 16. Off the top of my head:

Bulldogs merge with GWS and push in to Canberra as well as Western Sydney.

Kangaroos & Saints merge.

Demons forced in to playing more games in NT.

Hawks become a Tasmanian club, play some games in Melbourne (reverse of what they currently do).

SA:
Crows
Port

WA:
Freo
Eagles

QLD:
Suns
Lions

NSW/ACT:
Swans
Giant Dogs

TAS:
Hawks

VIC:
Northern Saints
Bombers
Blues
Pies
Tigers
Geelong

NT/VIC:
Demons (split between)

----

Man there would be some pissed off fans....
About time Victorians gave up something for a national comp. F*** knows everyone else has had to.

I think every team has to play each other once, that's non-negotiable. Then to give the AFL 23 rounds you come up with some sort of farcical "pre-finals" series where the bottom fight for the #1 pick, the mid range fight for the last finals spots and the top tier fight for home finals, then you just run the finals as they are now.

I think every team has to play each other once, that's non-negotiable. Then to give the AFL 23 rounds you come up with some sort of farcical "pre-finals" series where the bottom fight for the #1 pick, the mid range fight for the last finals spots and the top tier fight for home finals, then you just run the finals as they are now.

Or they could just do what they do now---every team gets a bye week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or they could just do what they do now---every team gets a bye week
well essentially I'm not suggesting we change the current system much at all, I'd just rather the "who do you play twice?" decisions be made on teams' form in the current season rather than the one the year before.

lets be honest, playing some teams more than others in the minor round is a bit of a joke, but reducing the length of the season will never happen so I'm proposing this. I also don't think we're big enough for a conference style system, and situations like not playing Collingwood for 5 years because we're in different conferences and haven't both made finals in the same year for a while would be terrible for the game in my opinion.

well essentially I'm not suggesting we change the current system much at all, I'd just rather the "who do you play twice?" decisions be made on teams' form in the current season rather than the one the year before.

lets be honest, playing some teams more than others in the minor round is a bit of a joke, but reducing the length of the season will never happen so I'm proposing this. I also don't think we're big enough for a conference style system, and situations like not playing Collingwood for 5 years because we're in different conferences and haven't both made finals in the same year for a while would be terrible for the game in my opinion.

Agreed...why I floated the division idea if they ever did whittle down to 16 teams. You would always play everyone at least once--and you would play teams like Collingwood home and away every 3rd year.

Be like this: Adelaide, Port, West Coast and Freemantle
then-------- Sydney, GWS, Brisbane and Gold Coast
then--------split 8 Victorian teams into 2 divisions of 4

Simply rotate playing home and away against the other three divisions. I think that system would be even better because every third year you get teams both home and away that we now just play 1x

Agreed...why I floated the division idea if they ever did whittle down to 16 teams. You would always play everyone at least once--and you would play teams like Collingwood home and away every 3rd year.

Be like this: Adelaide, Port, West Coast and Freemantle
then-------- Sydney, GWS, Brisbane and Gold Coast
then--------split 8 Victorian teams into 2 divisions of 4

Simply rotate playing home and away against the other three divisions. I think that system would be even better because every third year you get teams both home and away that we now just play 1x

Unfortunately what seems to separate the AFL from other high profile football competitions like the EPL and NRL is that the number one priority by far is to maximise profits, tv audiences and and attendances.

Equity of the draw (FIXture) comes a very distant last.

Not that other football competitions worldwide don't seek to maximise profits, but they do at least give the appearance of trying to make a fair or sensible draw.

Unfortunately what seems to separate the AFL from other high profile football competitions like the EPL and NRL is that the number one priority by far is to maximise profits, tv audiences and and attendances.

Equity of the draw (FIXture) comes a very distant last.

Not that other football competitions worldwide don't seek to maximise profits, but they do at least give the appearance of trying to make a fair or sensible draw.

I suppose so--but if they truly were trying to develop the sport as they say they are--you would want to draw up something like that. I guess the big hang up would be you might only have Hawthorn v. Sydney 1x instead of twice unless they met in the finals.

However, if the competition is healthy you aren't going to always have Hawthorn and Sydney as the 2 best teams in perpetuity.

I know it is unrealistic but I think if they truly wanted to do it right something along those lines would be best.

We really should take the AFL to court. We never breached the salary cap and that 'side deal' never came to fruition. We shouldn't have been punished as harshly as we were.

It's painfully obvious the AFL manipulate outcomes that they want. They've been doing it for as long as I can remember. It's a disgrace. Here they are caught trying to get another outcome
that they wanted. They should be sacked and replaced with people not in the boys club. Like politicians they have far too much power and they police themselves. They constantly ruin our game.

Why are people talking about equity of the farking draw when the AFL have just been shown to have taken a hands on role into manipulating free agency? FFS screw the draw and talk about what's really important!!!!!!

Understandable...just tossing the idea out there

Yea it's discussed fairly frequently as an option. Can't say I love it. I think the cons outweigh the pros. If the AFL were to actually look at expanding further then I can potentially see merit in it. But that's a long way off, from what we've seen thus far I'm not sure Australia has the population to support 18 top tier professional teams, let alone 19+. That said, I'd probably prefer they look at a second tier competition and implement relegation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back