Mega Thread 2015 Pre-Season Training Reports #ffcpreseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brad Hill would go missing in a worse team. He's a less skilled Stephen but with more self-belief. Would be average for Fremantle.
Brad has very nice skills, a real knack for finding space on his own due to his elite aerobic capacity and an instinct for goal.
I would say one of his strong points is knowing where to go to find the ball. Gets better numbers than Stephen but doesn't do as much damage with them (very few in the AFL do).
A very capable and damaging player. Him and Smith provide the line breaking run for the Hawks.
I think he'd go alright in most teams. Would carve at Freo on Subi.

Could you imagine how grim Freo'd look without Fyfe? Not one for hypotheticals but jesus, it'd be a depressing outlook for the team.

Brad Hill would go missing in a worse team. He's a less skilled Stephen but with more self-belief. Would be average for Fremantle.

Would carve at Freo on Subi.

It's a hypothetical :), but Brad Hill would raise our average speed and we could do with that. One that slipped through the cracks.

When talking about drafting overall in hypothetical terms and you are going to say oh we lucked out with Fyfe, imagine us without him you also have to consider what Morabito would be like with 5 years under his belt with no injury and Pitt would be coming into his good years too.

Of course, but most hypotheticals on here deal with optimism and unlikelihood. Whenever an alternate and negative one springs up, it's rebutted with "but if my aunty had balls..." Which is fair, but only fair when it goes both ways.

I never rated Pitt and think his heart issues have become a convenient excuse for poor drafting. He never set the world alight as a young kid and positioning his loss as a massive one is a bit of a dream.

Look at guys like Sheridan and Crozier too. Their output for (relatively, in Freo's terms) high picks has been a monumental meh so far. One great game from Crozier and not a whole lot from Sherro.

Brad has very nice skills, a real knack for finding space on his own due to his elite aerobic capacity and an instinct for goal.
I would say one of his strong points is knowing where to go to find the ball. Gets better numbers than Stephen but doesn't do as much damage with them (very few in the AFL do).
A very capable and damaging player. Him and Smith provide the line breaking run for the Hawks.
I think he'd go alright in most teams. Would carve at Freo on Subi.
I think you'll find that Stephen still gets better numbers than Brad. Someone on here did up some pretty charts earlier in the year about it.

Who really cares about comparing brothers? They both bring something to the table, and Im sure Brad Hill will come home
someday to play with his sibling.
Imagine both of them at Fremantle, breaking lines, running for each other, like other famous WA brothers before.

Who really cares about comparing brothers? They both bring something to the table, and Im sure Brad Hill will come home
someday to play with his sibling.
Imagine both of them at Fremantle, breaking lines, running for each other, like other famous WA brothers before.

yeh but it would be good to have them both in their prime, not when one of them is finishing up his career and has come home to play his last couple of seasons with his brother.

This.. i guess i would take him if he wanted to come home.. but is extremely overrated in the football world IMO. Every time he gets it the commentators cream over the disposal coming up and then he proceeds to either kick it too short or over the blokes head (other than those 'elite' 15m chips to players in space)

Sheridan would look like a star in the Brad Hill role on that team as well

This.. i guess i would take him if he wanted to come home.. but is extremely overrated in the football world IMO. Every time he gets it the commentators cream over the disposal coming up and then he proceeds to either kick it too short or over the blokes head (other than those 'elite' 15m chips to players in space)

Sheridan would look like a star in the Brad Hill role on that team as well
lol come off it, he's a bit overrated but that's just being silly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh... i just don't see much in him other than floating around on his own whilst the superstars do the work. His aerobic capacity is elite, the rest of the package is average. Not saying he wouldnt get a game with us of course, but i wouldn't be offering anything up.. just wait for him to walk

Think someone on BF at the time that followed colts reckoned that the only reason a club reached for him was his name, on actual output he was lucky to get drafted. Obviously worked out and it's disappointing that we missed him when under our noses but it's easy to say in hindsight I guess.

Not sure how true that is (that is being picked on name, though I've often wondered where he would have gone if he wasn't Stephen's brother), but the sentiment is right. He was not that highly rated at draft time, not at all. That is often forgotten in these discussions.

But anyway, back on topic ... I bought a vanilla slice today from Abhi's today, it was very nice.

Any training reports on Monday, would be greatly, greatly appreciated. It always interesting to see which senior players come back earlier they have to and it is also interesting to see who looks like they have done a ton of extra work in-between the season ending and the start of preseason training. Anyone going?

Meh... i just don't see much in him other than floating around on his own whilst the superstars do the work. His aerobic capacity is elite, the rest of the package is average. Not saying he wouldnt get a game with us of course, but i wouldn't be offering anything up.. just wait for him to walk
If that was all it took then Sheridan would be putting up similar output. Tom has a very similar set of attributes but Brad Hill has a good footy brain to go with his athletic abilities. Like Stephen, Brad reads the game very well and just knows where to be to get on the end of it. When he does he makes good decisions and has big game temperament. Clinical around the goals and doesn't panic when he has the ball. Was very composed in both grand finals and contributed when it mattered.
If the ability to run further than other people was all it took Menagola would have made it.

Any training reports on Monday, would be greatly, greatly appreciated. It always interesting to see which senior players come back earlier they have to and it is also interesting to see who looks like they have done a ton of extra work in-between the season ending and the start of preseason training. Anyone going?

Ken plus yours truly will make it.Hope E Shed,Jmt,Harry and yourself get down there as well.

Ken plus yours truly will make it.Hope E Shed,Jmt,Harry and yourself get down there as well.
I won't be able to make it unfortunately, got a fair bit of work on. Alright for you retired mob!
I generally get more interested once the draft is done, I like inspecting the new horse flesh and making bold predictions and wild speculations about their destinies from 5 minutes of kick to kick.
Having said that I would come down if I didn't have work on, just to catch up with the gang and get a Vanilla Slice into me.
Look forward to the reports.

I sincerely hope you all go to the right place - doesn't pre-season traditionally start with time trials at McGilvray or another non-Freo oval? Or is that only once the entire squad assembles?

And of course, there's also Ross' statements about more skills work being incorporated that could change the situation, too...

I sincerely hope you all go to the right place - doesn't pre-season traditionally start with time trials at McGilvray or another non-Freo oval? Or is that only once the entire squad assembles?

And of course, there's also Ross' statements about more skills work being incorporated that could change the situation, too...

Yeah they do a lot of work at Mcgillivray. It's very annoying when you drive a long way to Freo and they're not training there.

FREMANTLE coach Ross Lyon has vowed to put the Dockers through a punishing pre-season in order to be more "brutal and uncompromising" in 2015.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-16/lyons-formula-for-success

"We've sat down with our head of conditioning Jason Weber and it'll be a really demanding and challenging pre-season because we can clearly identify areas where we can work harder and do more work and more volume of work because we need to improve," Lyon said.

Oh, let the brutality commence and may our pre-season watchers get themselves into the most uncompromising of viewing positions.

I take it that day one of pre-season will be just preparation for the time trials and fitness tests?

I will be down there again once the pre-season starts proper with all players back.

I can small the coffee and sausage rolls now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back