2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be NO surprize and would fit a common theme when Aishy boy nominates Collingwood.
When it's an uncontracted player doing this, then it is what it is.

We'll offfer something that's fair though I reckon. If that turns out to be pick 12 or 13 or so then that will do. That'll be fair IMO... under the circumstances.

Considering how high you'll clearly be finishing this year, you have no need for Aish.

LOL, players being traded out. Wellingham for Grundy. Massive win.

Dawes for Broomhead. Touch down.

Adams for Shaw, OK.

Jolly and Ball, schwoooooooop. 2010 flag. ;)

Other guys who wanted to come to Collingwood, there's been a long list, a lot of them good blokes, who havn't been so great at AFL level.

We've let go or lost a lot of s**t blokes or trouble makers or head ****s too. Beams arguably fits one or two criteria there.

It would be NO surprize and would fit a common theme when Aishy boy nominates Collingwood.

We'll offfer something that's fair though I reckon. If that turns out to be pick 12 or 13 or so then that will do. That'll be fair IMO... under the circumstances.
Nah, GC will get involved mate (this feeling familiar?).

Also no one cares, go back to your own board.

Adams for Shaw, OK.

Other guys who wanted to come to Collingwood, there's been a long list, a lot of them good blokes, who havn't been so great at AFL level.

We've let go or lost a lot of s**t blokes or trouble makers or head ****s too. Beams arguably fits one or two criteria there.

Mate if l said that on your own board, l would be sworn at, abused, my team abused and finally get banned from BigFooty. So l suggest you go back to your own shitty board and work out all the cultural issues that are still at Drugginwood regarding Keefe and Thomas.

I didn't really pay much attention to the rest of it, but the bit in asterixes intrigues me. What could they signify? Surely not 'head fudges', because that doesn't normally refer to a person. 'Head cases' fits, but why censor the word 'case'?

Is the word head in the wrong place?

This will eat at me all night.

All this talk of trying to get Reid, Dixon, Henderson, Carlisle and Rance has me thinking that we are going about this the wrong way.

I think we need to take the money ball approach. By that I mean we stockpile our first round picks, draft key position players via national draft and try to recruit quality players that are undervalued from other teams. For example; Patfull, Zorko, Stefan Martin, Anthony Miles (Rich), Jeff Garrlett (Melb), Jack Hombsch (Port), Matt White (Port), Troy Chaplin (Rich) are good value picks that have become good players for other teams.

We all know that Aish is leaving and we should end up with a top 10 pick. That means we will have 2 top 10 first round picks. History shows that we need a top 10 pick to get a gun Key Forward. I say we take our two top 10 first round picks and draft the two best key forwards in that draft. I don't trust
Henderson, Reid , Carlisle and Dixon to become elite key forwards.

All this talk of trying to get Reid, Dixon, Henderson, Carlisle and Rance has me thinking that we are going about this the wrong way.

I think we need to take the money ball approach. By that I mean we stockpile our first round picks, draft key position players via national draft and try to recruit quality players that are undervalued from other teams. For example; Patfull, Zorko, Stefan Martin, Anthony Miles (Rich), Jeff Garrlett (Melb), Jack Hombsch (Port), Matt White (Port), Troy Chaplin (Rich) are good value picks that have become good players for other teams.

We all know that Aish is leaving and we should end up with a top 10 pick. That means we will have 2 top 10 first round picks. History shows that we need a top 10 pick to get a gun Key Forward. I say we take our two top 10 first round picks and draft the two best key forwards in that draft. I don't trust
Henderson, Reid , Carlisle and Dixon to become elite key forwards.
I am one that is definately that had the same train of thought as you do. I would even go further to say that our list is so far from contending it's not funny. I would even go further and possibly look at some of our players in the 24 to 27 age bracket with some currency to gain possibly one or two more first rounders over this draft or the next. We haven't made finals since '09 and we look like that we are even heading further south. Hard decisions have to be made.

Adams for Shaw, OK.

Trading out players from the youngest premiership winning side is not a win. Besides the Ball and Jolly trade, you guys have basically went from a top 4 team to a mid-tier team.

Trading out players from the youngest premiership winning team is not a win. Besides the Ball and Jolly trade, you guys have basically went from a top 4 team to mid tier team.

Thanks for bringing up this topic.

We dodged a massive bullet losing all those player, the only one that has hurt was Beams, and you know I'm not lying, cause I'm on your board, but even that trade has a long way to go in defining a win or not.

Thomas, Wellers, Dawes, Shaw, Lumumba, from the time they were traded out WOULD NOT have helped us to a premiership, and we would have probably treaded water to be im Carlton's position today.

However, ballsy decsions were made.

Grundy for Wellers. Boooooooooooooooom
Broomhead for Dawes, whoa nelly.
Adams for Shaw, a draw at this stage, but Adams looking the goods.
Scharenberg for Thomas, no-one knows how this will pan out but Thomas isn't going to be a big loss, could be a massive win.

I think we've dodged a massive bullet by trading out these guys to be honest. Looking back on 2010, a lot of guys peaked at the right time or got the most out of themselves. Thomas is a shadow of his former self and that's being generous.

Wellers for Grundy is possibly in hindsight, trading him out for the number 1 pick. And Dawes gone for Broomhead, Broomy is a top five pick, this guy is silk.

Massive bullet dodged and I'm happy to have this internet chat for hours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thomas, Wellers, Dawes, Shaw, Lumumba, from the time they were traded out WOULD NOT have helped us to a premiership, and we would have probably treaded water to be im Carlton's position today.
They might not have taken you to another premiership, but at least you will be playing finals footy. I would kill for our mob just to play finals after years of getting smashed by other teams.

Maybe I'll come around if our form improves, ATM I don't think we have much appeal as a club. If the money was comparable, similar chance of success being at a Melbourne based club and they didn't have to move interstate, why would they? Would have to be massive overs to get a decent KPP. I think Dixon and Tippett are getable based on them being from Queensland, not sure about anyone else.
We started last year 0-5 and did not win a single quarter in the opening 5 rounds. If someone had told us at that stage that Beams and Christensen would ask to be traded to the Lions at years end we all would have laughed. Add Rockliff, Hanley and Merrett to our side and by the second half of the year this group should be able to do some damage. We will finish bottom 5 but the second half of the year I expect us to show promising signs.

Brisbane supporters: "We won't be too upset if Aish leaves, as long as we get adequate compensation"

Adelaide supporters: "We should make a play for Aish, the kid is NORWOOD ROYALTY!"

Collingwood supporters: "100% confirmed, Aish is joining Collingwood. Brisbane can have our third rounder and a pack of Twisties. Oh did I mention, Beams is s**t? Brb putting $100 on Jack Crisp for Brownlow"

Brisbane supporters: "We won't be too upset if Aish leaves, as long as we get adequate compensation"

Adelaide supporters: "We should make a play for Aish, the kid is NORWOOD ROYALTY!"

Collingwood supporters: "100% confirmed, Aish is joining Collingwood. Brisbane can have our third rounder and a pack of Twisties. Oh did I mention, Beams is s**t? Brb putting $100 on Jack Crisp for Brownlow"

Just because you have a handful of posters who think Aish is coming to Collingwood does not mean that most of us believe that... nor is there anyone at Collingwood who doesn't seriously believe that Beams is anything but an elite young mid. (Depending on your definition of elite)

Aish will, deservedly, have a number of clubs in the mix trying to get (Adelaide should be the frontrunner, but I'm sure a lot of clubs are interested)... and I'm sure you guys will be doing all you can to convince him to stay, or to get the best return for your club. (I happen to agree with some of your posters above, that losing him for a high draft pick, or the opportunity to get a KPP, would not be that bad an outcome for you guys, given your seriously talented midfield).

All you guys need to hope is that, unlike Beams, if he does decide to leave that he doesn't screw you guys by only letting you negotiate with just one club. The more clubs allowed to bid, the better your offer would be, and if it ends up in a bidding war, you could end up getting overs for him.

Just because you have a handful of posters who think Aish is coming to Collingwood does not mean that most of us believe that... nor is there anyone at Collingwood who doesn't seriously believe that Beams is anything but an elite young mid. (Depending on your definition of elite)

Aish will, deservedly, have a number of clubs in the mix trying to get (Adelaide should be the frontrunner, but I'm sure a lot of clubs are interested)... and I'm sure you guys will be doing all you can to convince him to stay, or to get the best return for your club. (I happen to agree with some of your posters above, that losing him for a high draft pick, or the opportunity to get a KPP, would not be that bad an outcome for you guys, given your seriously talented midfield).

All you guys need to hope is that, unlike Beams, if he does decide to leave that he doesn't screw you guys by only letting you negotiate with just one club. The more clubs allowed to bid, the better your offer would be, and if it ends up in a bidding war, you could end up getting overs for him.

You made a lot of sense early; then trailed off baaaadly....

Beams did not screw you guys over. He doesn't like Buckley and left to his home state. Now, if one of two clubs has your brother playing for them and the other doesn't - which would you probably want to play for??? Yep, the one with the brother :thumbsu:

Aish is a VERY different case.

He'll be only 19 during trade week; still 4-6 years away from his peak. He's not an AFL star in Dayne Beams leaving a massive hole in a midfield that relied heavily on Pendles, Swan, Sidebottom and himself. The Pies needed / wanted replacements for that same position and got a gun kid along with Crisp and Greenwood who will be serviceable players; the Lions need only mature players that can play either defence or forward. We don't need to replace Aish the midfielder as Benny Keays is already in a Lions jumper and will be part of that rotation moving forward; and even though they are two drafts apart - there is only an age gap of just 15 months.

It'll be interesting to see what we actually ask for as I really doubt it will be draft picks (unless it was part of a deal to on-trade them).

And with Lethal and Swann there now - this isn't going to be like the GH5 settling back home program or Derek "Blinky Bill" Hine and his mythical deadlines; I can see this being an old school "give us what we want or try your luck in the draft/s kid and see where that lands you".

You made a lot of sense early; then trailed off baaaadly....

Beams did not screw you guys over. He doesn't like Buckley and left to his home state. Now, if one of two clubs has your brother playing for them and the other doesn't - which would you probably want to play for??? Yep, the one with the brother :thumbsu:

Aish is a VERY different case.

He'll be only 19 during trade week; still 4-6 years away from his peak. He's not an AFL star in Dayne Beams leaving a massive hole in a midfield that relied heavily on Pendles, Swan, Sidebottom and himself. The Pies needed / wanted replacements for that same position and got a gun kid along with Crisp and Greenwood who will be serviceable players; the Lions need only mature players that can play either defence or forward. We don't need to replace Aish the midfielder as Benny Keays is already in a Lions jumper and will be part of that rotation moving forward; and even though they are two drafts apart - there is only an age gap of just 15 months.

It'll be interesting to see what we actually ask for as I really doubt it will be draft picks (unless it was part of a deal to on-trade them).

And with Lethal and Swann there now - this isn't going to be like the GH5 settling back home program or Derek "Blinky Bill" Hine and his mythical deadlines; I can see this being an old school "give us what we want or try your luck in the draft/s kid and see where that lands you".

I agree with most of your post. (except the bit about Hine - it was clearly the Pies just trying to make the most of a bad situation... and least it did score us Crisp in the end)

But - the Beams case is relevant. Whatever his reasons, he still demanded a trade to 1 club. Gold Coast were, reportedly, interested... who know's what they would've offered and whether it wouldv'e matched your bid, but at worst it may have at least made you guys consider raising your offer.
(I agree though, that the level/age of player is not the same... also that Aish is quite easily replaceable for you guys... but that doesn't make him less valuable to another club)

It is relevant because Aish could come out and say he only wants to go to the Crows. At that stage it comes down to how much the Crows are willing to offer (if they manage to keep both Sloane and Danger, I don't think they will be that desperate), and if that is enough consolation for you guys to accept it without letting him walk in the PSD. I think if it is a semi-reasonable offer, then the smart thing would be to take it, rather than try to send any sort of message... but my point is that if Aish does the right thing and allows you to trade to whichever clubs are interested - then you should get a pretty good outcome.

---
anyways, sorry for posting on a Brisbane thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back