2016 Asian Champions League

Remove this Banner Ad

if it wasnt preseason they would have spanked us, that first half they were something else
Were they though ?? We allowed them to be, and even then it was only 3 players...... the players that cost them more than our entire league.

But did we deserve to win? Hell no. If you want to **** up that many good chances in-front of goal you don't deserve to win. Simple.

Carrusca was crap as well.
Carrusca had a poor 20 minutes but he got us back in. I will say however, that he is paid to kick pens and he's missed 2. Thats simply not good enough.

As for whether we deserved to win, IMO yes we did. You create what we did and even a touch of luck we had up the other end, we should've won in a canter

if it wasnt preseason they would have spanked us, that first half they were something else
Rubbish, we gifted them the opener and then played into their hands by going away from our style.
Wasn't impressed by them at all, they will be lucky to get out of the group stage, the Korean and Japanese sides would slaughter them

Carrusca had a poor 20 minutes but he got us back in. I will say however, that he is paid to kick pens and he's missed 2. Thats simply not good enough.

As for whether we deserved to win, IMO yes we did. You create what we did and even a touch of luck we had up the other end, we should've won in a canter
I don't think kicking the ball straight at the keeper 5 times in a game and miss a penalty deserves to win the match but that's just me. We had so many chances to score but blew it. They had one less man for 28 minutes and we still only scored 1 goal.

Rubbish, we gifted them the opener and then played into their hands by going away from our style.
Wasn't impressed by them at all, they will be lucky to get out of the group stage, the Korean and Japanese sides would slaughter them
Exactly. They are even more reliant on their foreign players than most sides in Eastern Asia. Its just their foreigners are VERY good.

I don't think kicking the ball straight at the keeper 5 times in a game and miss a penalty deserves to win the match but that's just me. We had so many chances to score but blew it. They had one less man for 28 minutes and we still only scored 1 goal.
What I'm saying is we created more and bashed the door down, or rather bashed at the door. We did enough to win but we didn't. I don't think the best team on the night won.

Isaias our best by a mile. Don't even want to mention anyone else tbh. He was exceptional.
That was the Isa of last year. None of the niggly garbage or falling over but just the vision and the ability. He was outstanding.

Another thing to mention is the quality of player Shandong left out. They had another Brazilian who didn't feature but was the CSL top scorer last year. We just don't have that quality to leave out.

Also Serg looked shattered, think it's the last time we will see him in Red.

Disappointing to see so much play acting but I guess that is what we have come to expect with these teams. Elsey was abysmal I thought were Adelaide didn't look up to the standard. Good fightback from Adelaide but left it too late ultimately.

That's about as good a summation as I've seen written anywhere - and it comes from a Reds fan!

AU had every chance in the world to win that match and, as you say, they blew it. Badly. They could've, and arguably should've scored 4 or 5 last night.

I know there was quite a bit of whinging on social media during the game about the typical Asian tactic of feigning injuries, but I'm glad there hasn't been too much commentary blaming the loss on that. I know it's partly due to the blown chances, and partly due to the 6 minutes stoppage time that became 7 and a half minutes - but I also like to think it's a sign of growing maturity and awareness of Australia's place in Asia. There's no point whinging about it. It's the reality of playing in Asia, and Australian teams (both national and club-level) just need to learn to deal with it, much as it's a blight on the game.

It happened by the ref was brilliant, he wasn't sucked in at all. If that continues you won't get any complaints anywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's about as good a summation as I've seen written anywhere - and it comes from a Reds fan!

AU had every chance in the world to win that match and, as you say, they blew it. Badly. They could've, and arguably should've scored 4 or 5 last night.

I know there was quite a bit of whinging on social media during the game about the typical Asian tactic of feigning injuries, but I'm glad there hasn't been too much commentary blaming the loss on that. I know it's partly due to the blown chances, and partly due to the 6 minutes stoppage time that became 7 and a half minutes - but I also like to think it's a sign of growing maturity and awareness of Australia's place in Asia. There's no point whinging about it. It's the reality of playing in Asia, and Australian teams (both national and club-level) just need to learn to deal with it, much as it's a blight on the game.
Yeah I didn't blame the loss on how they sat on the ground for half the game, that's not why we lost. Over the years I've gotten used to them basically cheating by laying on the ground after getting touched. Three of their players went off on stretchers and nothing was even wrong and they came straight back on. Shandong were pathetic in that department on Tuesday. I'd hate supporting a team who does what they did, much like all the Asian clubs.

So next week Sydney FC & Melbourne Victory will start their campaigns in the Asian Champions League.
Will be interesting to see how both clubs juggle both competitions.

Week 1
Wednesday 24th Feb

Melbourne Victory vs. Shanghai East - 7:45pm
Uruwa Reds vs. Sydney FC - 9:30pm

Week 2
Wednesday 2nd March

Sydney FC vs. Guangzhou Evergrande - 8pm
Gamba Osaka vs. Melbourne Victory - 9pm

Week 3
Tuesday 15th March

Melbourne Victory vs. Suwon - 7:45pm

Wednesday 16th March

Steelers vs. Sydney FC - 9:30pm

Week 4
Tuesday 5th April

Sydney FC vs. Steelers - 8pm

Wednesday 6th April

Suwon vs. Melbourne Victory - 8:30pm

Week 5
Tuesday 19th April

Shanghai East vs. Melbourne Victory - 9:30pm

Wednesday 20th April

Sydney FC vs. Urawa Reds - 8pm

Week 6
Tuesday 3rd May

Melbourne Victory vs. Gamba Osaka - 8pm
Guangzhou Evergrande vs. Sydney FC - 8:30pm

Didn't know there was a thread here!

Great win by the Victory tonight very important in the ACL to get off on a good start!

Thought we played pretty well too and should have had a couple more goals and got a little lucky with the pen but happy to take any type of win in this competition.

Excellent game of football tonight. Great start to the campaign for the boys. Hopefully the crowds pick up a bit after that.

couldn't make it tonight due to other commitments but i'm gonna try and make it for the Gamba Osaka match.

Seems like such a better atmosphere at AAMI then at Etihad as you'll expect.

Urawa well on top but we really should of had a penalty for handball.

Would have been 2-0 if not for a great goal line clearance from Naumoff.

That goal was some horrible defending through!

Sydney got back in to it but the some old problem as its been all season who's gonna score? not much up front
Would have been nice to see how Janko would have gone in the ACL considering he literately got you guys there last season off his own boot.

That goal was some horrible defending through!

Sydney got back in to it but the some old problem as its been all season who's gonna score? not much up front
Would have been nice to see how Janko would have gone in the ACL considering he literately got you guys there last season off his own boot.
Yep very bad defending but I guess that's what happens when you hand a player his debut in arguably the toughest game of the season so far.

Can't really see where goals will come from, maybe a set piece or Ninkovic and Brosque if they come on. It's been a frustrating season for me, neither of my teams (Sydney + Swansea) have a striker who can score goals.

2-0 now :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back