2016 Draft Haul - a disaster?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this will be the year we can truly say it was adequate pickings, or a complete bust.
Gooch is the one that is most puzzling. He seems to have the pace and the skills, but doesn't ever put it together for an entire game. He often does good bits, but it seems to be more of a cameo appearance rather than a player showing a want to be in the regular 22.
Polhoke seems to be a poorer version of Thommo, but I hope he can continue to improve this year and string a few AFL games and see where it can take him.

I'd given up on Poholke, i don't know what it is with him, but he seems a player.

The rest is hard to argue with, not a great draft for us.
Doesn't anyone else cringe when he gets the ball from a mark or free kick? He is one of the most indecisive players with the ball I've ever seen. He then proceeds to lob it about 35 metres to a nothing contest.

He's not a bad player but surely not worth keeping pursuing when we know what he brings already.

The Gallucci pick was a horrendous error. He’ll be lucky to play another 10 games for the club before being delisted or traded at this point. W Hayward and J Berry were both logical list fits at that selection. I was annoyed at the selection on draft night because Gallucci’s form as a junior was not good enough to warrant a 1st round selection.

He was only being considered by a couple of clubs as a pick in that 15-20 range because of his combine results. Pick blokes who can actually play ffs. How many times in a game at any level has Gallucci’s record setting vertical leap made any difference? It’s garbage.

As for the other picks, we didn’t exactly have a lot to wrk with, but Poholke is your classic “good SANFL player but will never make the leap”, Signorello was complete trash and Himmelberg will clearly never make it as an AFL forward or ruckman.

The one hope I do have is Himmelberg potentially making it as a genuine key defender. I don’t think it’s a certainty, but I think it needs to be tried in 2020-21. Transition Hartigan to the bin, and develop McAsey and Himmelberg to be the key defenders of the future. It might just salvage this draft from “complete disaster” back to “fail”.

Doesn't anyone else cringe when he gets the ball from a mark or free kick? He is one of the most indecisive players with the ball I've ever seen. He then proceeds to lob it about 35 metres to a nothing contest.

He's not a bad player but surely not worth keeping pursuing when we know what he brings already.
How much of that indecisiveness is driven from the message he's recieved? Or lack thereof? New coach this year may improve it? (Clutching at straws here)

At SANFL there doesn't seem to be that problem.

He could well be a great SANFL player who can't step up to AFL level, i accept that.

How much of that indecisiveness is driven from the message he's recieved? Or lack thereof? New coach this year may improve it? (Clutching at straws here)

At SANFL there doesn't seem to be that problem.

He could well be a great SANFL player who can't step up to AFL level, i accept that.

He was fine. The indecisiveness that was blatant in his previous AFL games was not that evident on Saturday. He has improved that out of sight. I expect him to continue to improve and be a solid AFL footsoldier. Those saying he is not AFL material are way too premature in my view. Gallucci and Himmelburg are the more likely busts, but give them a chance too.

I have hope for Myles and Davis, both did some nice things yesterday and just need to be persisted with, won’t have a better chance than this year to break into the senior side.
Berg, from what I saw yesterday Billy is ahead of him.
Gooch obviously needed a wake-up call and Godden gave that to him on the radio the other day, might be the best thing for his career fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Main draft
Gallucci - on the outer
Poholke - being kind he's a solid player
Himmelburg - a tease now and then
Signorello - who?
Davis - 1 or 2 glimpses at best

Rookies
Shaw - retained for medical reasons
pass
Jarman - sentimental choice only

Losses
Lyons
Henderson

Both Lyons and Henderson alone have achieved more after they left than everyone else we took combined...

Do I insert a laughing gif here or a crying gif?

It's likely Himmelberg will never make it but was worth a flyer at pick 51. How Myles was chosen ahead of a Larke Medallist is perplexing.

Last edited:
The Gallucci pick was a horrendous error. He’ll be lucky to play another 10 games for the club before being delisted or traded at this point. W Hayward and J Berry were both logical list fits at that selection. I was annoyed at the selection on draft night because Gallucci’s form as a junior was not good enough to warrant a 1st round selection.

He was only being considered by a couple of clubs as a pick in that 15-20 range because of his combine results. Pick blokes who can actually play ffs. How many times in a game at any level has Gallucci’s record setting vertical leap made any difference? It’s garbage.

As for the other picks, we didn’t exactly have a lot to wrk with, but Poholke is your classic “good SANFL player but will never make the leap”, Signorello was complete trash and Himmelberg will clearly never make it as an AFL forward or ruckman.

The one hope I do have is Himmelberg potentially making it as a genuine key defender. I don’t think it’s a certainty, but I think it needs to be tried in 2020-21. Transition Hartigan to the bin, and develop McAsey and Himmelberg to be the key defenders of the future. It might just salvage this draft from “complete disaster” back to “fail”.
We missed on the himmelberg we really wanted because gws matched our bid. Imagine big athletic harry occupying a key post in our forward line..super player and it is a shame his brother does not quite have the same game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We haven't picked a gun midfielder since Rendell left with the exception of Matt Crouch who basically picked himself by virtue of being Brad's brother. Literally every one at the club was demanding him hoping it would help keep Brad. Sando's 'party at my place'. So Hamish' input there would've been minimal.

Hamish is much more comfortable picking defenders.

we selected some dud players in a dud vintage.if you look at most over clubs fortunes for that draft, it’s not pretty reading either. The of 2016 is one of the weakest this century

We haven't picked a gun midfielder since Rendell left with the exception of Matt Crouch who basically picked himself by virtue of being Brad's brother. Literally every one at the club was demanding him hoping it would help keep Brad. Sando's 'party at my place'. So Hamish' input there would've been minimal.

Hamish is much more comfortable picking defenders.
Not a fan of Jones?

I honestly thought it would be Berry or SA boy Hayward with some chance Powell-Pepper but the no dickheads policy probably put the line through him and Alex Witherden's broken leg and no football in his draft year probably stymied that.
I LOVED SPP before the draft. Was astronomically pissed that Port got him. Turns out that he was a tool off the field so probably dodged a bullet!

I'd given up on Poholke, i don't know what it is with him, but he seems a player.

The rest is hard to argue with, not a great draft for us.
Poholke is finally getting played as a mid in the 1's, and not a forward pocket which is a positive step. I think he is one of those guys that just needs to feel comfortable at the level before you see his best. Right now he's still can look a bit flustered, and 2 grabs too many ground balls, but when he's comfortable he can be a very handy player. Certainly proved it in the 2's for me.

I think he's well worth persevering with!

Last edited:
Wasn’t Berry drafted as mainly a HBF who has since pushed more into a genuine mid?

He could have easily played at the expense of Kelly & DMac over the past 3 seasons - although we probably wouldn’t have played him there ahead of those two.

He plays on a wing at times due to Brisbane's inside mid numbers, and provides a great marking/tackling medium forward to rest there for 5 minute spurts. Has a lot more tools than Gooch. Would have been my pick by a mile.

He doesn't seem to have vision - the ability to quickly perceive whats ahead of him
we selected some dud players in a dud vintage.if you look at most over clubs fortunes for that draft, it’s not pretty reading either. The of 2016 is one of the weakest this century
The fact that the no. 1 pick is still a back pocket supports that.

Why did we go long in the draft then, could have traded out. The "pass" in the rookie draft is looming as one of our better picks that year.

He doesn't seem to have vision - the ability to quickly perceive whats ahead of him

The fact that the no. 1 pick is still a back pocket supports that.

Why did we go long in the draft then, could have traded out. The "pass" in the rookie draft is looming as one of our better picks that year.
Don’t buy that - still plenty of talent in that draft at our pick 15.

Hayward been good
Berry been good
Witherden been good
Parfitt been good
Lepinski been good
Fisher been good
SPP been good

It’s just looking like a mistake so let’s call it what it was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back