Opinion 2016 DRAFT POLL - #5

Who do you want at pick #5

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we take Scrimshaw, where do we play him. Who in our defence can we send to the midfield? We have to replenish our midfield stocks.
I'm thinking we can drop him on a wing and he can support Simpson while he develops as a mid.

I'm thinking we can drop him on a wing and he can support Simpson while he develops as a mid.

If he can. Would prefer if he could win his own ball though.

If Brodie is still available he's our pick he's a prefect fit for us. If he's gone than Petrevski-Seton will add a lot of class. I disappointed the Gibbs trade didn't go through (not because I want to lose Gibbs I wanted pick 13) cause I really like Powell-pepper and Berry but can't see either being there at pick 25.

If he can. Would prefer if he could win his own ball though.
When he did play in midfield, he seemed to win half of his possessions on his own. He was the designated kick out of defence for Sandy, so they fed him the ball.

He still had to make the end-around runs and show good work rate to get the footy and into space though. He's too talented to quibble about his position, it's suffice to say he's an exellent decision maker, great athlete, great kick, great evasiveness in stoppage traffic, not a KPD but excellent in zoning off.

He's great for us in midfield, whether it's at or away from the stoppage because he will run both ways with some savvy about it.

Marchbank, Plowman, Rowe, Weitering, Scrimshaw all above 190cm back there. Docherty, Simpson and Byrne will carry us through next year. Midfield though ... if Gibbs goes next year ... uh oh.

I don't think we'll be seeing all of Marchbank, Plowman, Rowe and Weitering together down back too often - that's one tall too many IMO unless we're really confident in Plowman's ability to provide drive out of the backline. 3 of them + 3 of Simpson/Docherty/Byrne/Scrimshaw makes for a nice defensive unit.

If we're confident he can play from season one Scrimshaw could replace Byrne who could then replace Simpson for 2018. That is if we play Scrimshaw down back rather than on a wing where we may view him as being of greater value long-term.

Hawthorn won a flag with all of of Lake, Frawley, Stratton, Gibson and Birchall down back. Height is less important if they play different roles within the defensive structure.

This perception that our first priority, pick 5, should be someone to help Cripps. I take it, that you are all happy with the forward line/outside run/line breakers/elite disposal players we have?

I am sure WC have played in the finals in the last 2 years, with a squad that has more talent than us on every line, yet they only had one dedicated inside mid in Priddis. Shuey/Sheed play inside/outside, similar to Gibbs/Murphy.

How about we just take the best long term elite footballer at pick 5, as I am sure every area need more work

You seem to think Brodie is not worthy of 5 based on kicking efficiency?

Re: W.C.
When you have several gun forwards that mark and kick goals mid fielders look better.

Ive never seen a prelim or grand final won by elite kicking mids. More to do with heart, grit, determination and tackling pressure. Brodie has that.

Brodie is a stand out in all departments. Aggression and determination to succeed. We had a guy wear No. 5 over the last 7-8 years that was far from an elite kick. He went alright.

Brodie
Taranto
SPP

In case you didn't realise players come and go these days. You can't rely on Cripps saying Navy Blue for life especially as a bottom dwelling team. He needs support in the contest.

Geez if he's our only means of extracting the pill he will hold the club to ransom come contract time being a WA boy. Even worse if he goes down who we going to use.

You seem to think Brodie is not worthy of 5 based on kicking efficiency?

Re: W.C.
When you have several gun forwards that mark and kick goals mid fielders look better.

Ive never seen a prelim or grand final won by elite kicking mids. More to do with heart, grit, determination and tackling pressure. Brodie has that.

Brodie is a stand out in all departments. Aggression and determination to succeed. We had a guy wear No. 5 over the last 7-8 years that was far from an elite kick. He went alright.

Brodie
Taranto
SPP

In case you didn't realise players come and go these days. You can't rely on Cripps saying Navy Blue for life especially as a bottom dwelling team. He needs support in the contest.

Geez if he's our only means of extracting the pill he will hold the club to ransom come contract time being a WA boy. Even worse if he goes down who we going to use.

I have never said he is not worthy, just rate others in front of him.

I beg to differ, re kicking in finals. I do want guys that are competitive & combative, they exist in all forms, but I do put a premium on above average disposal.

The Kruezer rule.

Do not take a ruckman in the top 10. Ever.

Also known as a Fraser rule, or the Leuenberger rule up north. Ruckman are far too unpredictable in their development.

Agree the worst No. 1 pick I can think of.

Tuohy needs to be replaced and at this stage I see no obvious replacement for him from within.

Scrimshaw might be that player if we deem him ready to go from round one.

You don't replace a international draft pick running back with a pick 5. Johannisen from doggies was pick 39 in rookie which probably pick 100 or something.

Will Brodie and if he's not there Tim English. Since I believe Brodie will be drafted I'm the lone English picker.

English goes against everything I've ever been taught about the AFL draft but I believe he's going to be that good to be the exception to the rule. Typically, I am against drafting rucks in the first round of a draft. The late rounds and the rookie draft have been home to some of the better results.

I DO NOT want Taranto. Everything that I've seen makes me think that he lacks the substance to be elite. I have a feeling he'll be a very good B-B+ but not an A-grader. I hope he proves me wrong.

My third choice would be Petrevski-Seton. As much as he floats in and out of games, something I've watched and commented on previously, he's all class. Floating in and out at the under 18's level is something that can be coached out of him. The closest term that I could describe him floating in and out is 'boredom.' As though he's showing just enough for teams to know that he'll be exceptionally good at the next level but not enough to break himself before he gets there. As such I don't think he took over games as much as he perhaps should have at the juniors level but has the potential of doing in the AFL.
You're not alone anymore, Wick. ;)
I went with English too - for three reasons.

1. There seem to be legitimate knocks on each of the midfielders expected to be available to us with #5
2. There is apparently plenty of solid midfielders available later in this draft, so we can afford to target a non-mid with #5 (and English is the best available)
3. Our ruck stock is at least as poor as our midfield - Kreuzer (27.5), Phillips (25.3) then..... zip is testament to that. And English seems to be a very, very talented young ruck would be primed to play once Kreuzer finishes up at Carlton.

But all that said, I don't expect SOS to call out English's name on draft day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree the worst No. 1 pick I can think of.
Think harder.

You don't replace a international draft pick running back with a pick 5. Johannisen from doggies was pick 39 in rookie which probably pick 100 or something.
Scrimshaw's not just a HBF.

EDIT: Added in Scrimshaw's name to clarify the quote

Last edited:
You're not alone anymore, Wick. ;)
I went with English too - for three reasons.

1. There seem to be legitimate knocks on each of the midfielders expected to be available to us with #5
2. There is apparently plenty of solid midfielders available later in this draft, so we can afford to target a non-mid with #5 (and English is the best available)
3. Our ruck stock is at least as poor as our midfield - Kreuzer (27.5), Phillips (25.3) then..... zip is testament to that. And English seems to be a very, very talented young ruck would be primed to play once Kreuzer finishes up at Carlton.

But all that said, I don't expect SOS to call out English's name on draft day.

Pretty sure Tim English was passed over in last years draft

I have never said he is not worthy, just rate others in front of him.

I beg to differ, re kicking in finals. I do want guys that are competitive & combative, they exist in all forms, but I do put a premium on above average disposal.

I agree on the premium on above average disposal, however if we were in a final, I'd probs feel a lot better knowing Brodie was in my side rather than the opposition

He was but was injured.....if I recall right.

He is an over-ager but that doesn't really matter, if the talent is there.

Yeah im not fussed about his age Harks, and a lot of players get picked up injured in the draft i.e Ryan Burton, maybe a pick 5 is too high a premium, a 3rd rounder I'd be O.K with

I don't follow any of these kids as closely as most on this thread do but surely our basic need is for an inside mid capable of winning his own ball and good footskills. Pretty simple to me!

That's spot on we need a nuts and bolts midfielder with good footy brain and accurate kick, preferably not too slow.
Nothing more nothing less. The're plenty of bells and whistles about too but lock down the first priority the second will come naturally.
Combined picks 5 & 25 in whichever order they come will great enhance our midfield.
As a side note I'm happy Gibbs will be around to help intergrate these boys into our centerline at their most difficult time.
Go Baggers

Brodie 100%

Seriously will be shocked if he is available and sos doesn't choose him.

Exactly what we need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was always Brodie. Then Arr0w planted the seed of doubt in my mind and I'm all over Taranto now after watching the TAC cup final and more vision (although would actually go Setterfield over both but think if bidded on it will be matched).

The way I see it is Brodie can be a top 10 player in a team for the next 10 years, consistent, great work ethic etc...whereas Taranto is damaging and has the potential to be one of the best in the league if developed correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back