List Mgmt. 2016 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Not even close. Terrible value for us.

(And you're missing at least thee clubs and four picks;))

Haha I think it's not too bad actually. We are getting an earlier pick for Marchbank who realistically is 12-16 but getting less than we should for Steele who is probably 15-20. Stewart is just a salary cap dump which we will have to do.

Other players who we will have to shop are Buntine, WHE, McKenna and possibly Corr. Depends if the rumours about Premiership bonuses have foundation which I believe they do. The injury to Ahern probably means we hold Pickett unless a satisfactory trade can be done with one of the WA teams.

Last edited:
St Kilda like to think they are doing that Moneyball s**t so they might consider a multiplayer deal for their 1st rounder in 2017 if their matrix indicates it to be value. They might like a Steele/Buntine deal for their 1st rounder in 2017 and back themselves to improve next year??

As trades in the last few years have shown there's no point trying to guess what it will take to get it done as the picks involved in the final trade are probably in the hands of a totally different team at this stage which will garnered from another trade that as yet hasn't happened.

As trades in the last few years have shown there's no point trying to guess what it will take to get it done as the picks involved in the final trade are probably in the hands of a totally different team at this stage which will garnered from another trade that as yet hasn't happened.

You do realise this is a speculative trade thread?

McKenna's name has been mentioned in a Marchbank trade which doesnt make a heap of sense, his junior club changed their name to the Giants, he would still be on draftee wages and I dont think anyone expected him to be playing 1's yet after being a cricket player and making a late switch to AFL. Not a fan at all of Buntine or Corr going anywhere. Not overly convinced that Stewart wants out, judging by some of their social media accounts some of the names getting thrown around on the drafts board look pretty happy and settled where they are. Quite possible some fringe players will take whatever is offered to stay, some may look at Jaksch and see the grass isnt always greener.

Last edited:
Future first round would most likely get it done

You want a top 3 pick next year for a player taken at pick 6 two years ago and has had shoulder, ankle and back problems since, is out of contract and has nominated us as a club of choice?

If you throw in Patton we're entering ballpark.

It'll be next years second (likely pick 20 odd).

You want a top 3 pick next year for a player taken at pick 6 two years ago and has had shoulder, ankle and back problems since, is out of contract and has nominated us as a club of choice?

And you're a Moderator FFS no wonder why I always get suspended...

SOS wets himself over Marchbank and when he gets like that he pays. I'm thinking Carlton 1st rounder for Marchbank and a late 1st rounder thrown back is the likely deal. These clubs do equitable trades.

I love it when BF posters just proclaim to flat out know what trade will go down, no if no buts, just pick X will be the trade. Talk about a superiority complex.

you seem to have such little faith in where your club will finish next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marchbank is also fit enough to begin his 3rd preseason which makes him a ready-made player.
Pick 5 is most likely, unless there's other horse trading to be done. Can't see us wanting any of their spud players.

His value in the original draft doesnt really matter. We will profit if we can, of course. He is definitley first round, might be complicated with other players. Otherwise possibly something back for high first round. Patton will be in orange and grey for a long time I hope, maybe midfield is where we have the depth.

McKenna's name has been mentioned in a Marchbank trade which doesnt make a heap of sense, his junior club changed their name to the Giants, he would still be on draftee wages and I dont think anyone expected him to be playing 1's yet after being a cricket player and making a late switch to AFL. Not a fan at all of Buntine or Corr going anywhere. Not overly convinced that Stewart wants out, judging by some of their social media accounts some of the names getting thrown around on the drafts board look pretty happy and settled where they are. Quite possible some fringe players will take whatever is offered to stay, some may look at Jaksch and see the grass isnt always greener.

I think re McKenna he probably has limited opportunities moving forward with us and has yet to really get close to getting a game. That said take your point he was very much a raw development pick and that takes time. There are apparently a few clubs sniffing around for him.

RE Buntine I think we have given him a fair crack at nailing down a post and he has been pretty serviceable but he hasn't been able to lock down a position and I fear with the emergence of all our young defenders that his opportunities might be limited. He has currency and is on good wages. Concussions have been unkind to him.

Corr I think you are probably right, he is our main back up to Davis.

We've got both our own and Geelong's first round picks (both from 13 to 18 depending on results). One of them with Marchbank for Carlton's first should get it done.

I highly doubt we'd give up pick 5.

In any event, pick 5 is worth 1,878 points. Pick 13 is worth 1,212 points. You gain a net of 660 points. Pick 18 is worth 985 points (netting you an extra 890 points)

Pick 20 on its own is worth 912 points. Youre already ahead.

And those points are next year where you currently have no extra picks to pay for academy players, and in a stronger draft.

Pick 20 is worth 912 points next year. Enough to pay for an academy bloke at pick 14. Its more than fair.

That pre-supposes your team is even more s#*t next year than it was this year. It seems I have more faith in Bolton and our NEAFL team than you do.

Look, we know you're a main board mod with an anti-Giants bias, but this is our board. On here, you're just another Carlton flog. Stop insulting our intelligence with your dribble please.

Our 2016/2017 1st round picks are obviously overs and our 2nd round picks would obviously be unders. You guys would either be keen for our 2016 first round pick this year (make a pick up before the academy bids come through) or points for 2017.

I think this will likely involve other clubs as I don't think SOS will be keen to get rid of pick 5 given the talent available this year. Might depend on what we can get for players like Tuohy & Everitt. As usual both clubs supporters over & undervaluing players based on what is convenient for their imaginary trades.

SOS has managed to trade fairly with GWS so far and I think both clubs have been happy, I don't see why that wouldn't continue. Goodluck with the rest of the season!

We've got both our own and Geelong's first round picks (both from 13 to 18 depending on results). One of them with Marchbank for Carlton's first should get it done.
Except if we get our firsts too early then we are forced to take Victorian mummy's boys and wa sooks.

That pre-supposes your team is even more s#*t next year than it was this year. It seems I have more faith in Bolton and our NEAFL team than you do.

We're looking to delist another 10+ players this year. Of the teams that finished beneath us this year, Essendon (returning players, number 1 draft pick), Freo (Fyfe, McCarthy), and Gold Coast (GAJ coming back in and no mids this whole year etc) will improve. Brisbane might also get a dead cat bounce from a new coach and Pick 2 + a PP.

I anticipate a bottom three finish, and we would be favorites (or close to it for the spoon). Were 1 year intot a total cleanout and reset of the list.

Look, we know you're a main board mod with an anti-Giants bias, but this is our board. On here, you're just another Carlton flog. Stop insulting our intelligence with your dribble please.

I bend over backwards to card fools who troll your club mate. And you respond with mod abuse and calling me names?

Have it your way. I'll remember that.

http://footyprophet.com/caleb-marchbank-market-value/

The Original Price: Marchbank was the sixth pick in the 2014 AFL draft, however at the time, the consensus was the Giants had gone early for the 17-year-old. Draft expert Callum Twomey had him as a potential top-15 pick, while many others had him in the 15-25 range.

What he’s worth: While there’s obvious talent with Marchbank, the fact he was taken higher than he was perhaps worth at the time, and his proneness to injury early in his career means GWS won’t get a high draft pick for him alone. He has only played 24 games of senior and reserves football in two years at the club. The Blues and the Giants will have some robust discussions about Marchbank’s true worth, which could well be an early second-round pick.

What we’d pay: Pick 21-25.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back