Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

no, and its disingenuous for you to say that as you know it not to be true.

Its more like,

Bolton is crap
Bolton is not bad but not great
Bolton is good not great
Bolton is great but inconsistent

Its been a journey of self discovery for the non believers.

meanwhile we seem to have landed where the consensus is that AFL coaches votes are the ones that really matter when ranking players.

Bolton is top 6 in the league in 2022 so far.

I look forward to the cognitive biased tying themselves in knots reverse engineering their rationale to argue against Bolton

Its nothing but entertaining. Predictable but unimaginative

Meanwhile what I have been saying for years is becoming impossible to argue against

Bolton is the best player taken in the 2016 draft.

I suggest you all just put down your weapons and enjoy the artist at work, He is to football what Monet is to impressionism, to the uncouth I provide you this reference

From hereon to pay tribute I will refer to him as Shai Monet .
As soon as I saw the 10 votes for Bolton in the coaches votes, I was awaiting your glorious return to the thread.

The calls on Bolton the last couple of years have been consistently Bolton is good/great but inconsistent.

That remains true, as all the players play more games, we will all continue to be rational individuals and re-evaulate our positions as we have more information and evidence to base our opinions on

As soon as I saw the 10 votes for Bolton in the coaches votes, I was awaiting your glorious return to the thread.

The calls on Bolton the last couple of years have been consistently Bolton is good/great but inconsistent.

That remains true, as all the players play more games, we will all continue to be rational individuals and re-evaulate our positions as we have more information and evidence to base our opinions on
You're expecting him to be rational?

It would take very little time and effort to disprove this and provide evidence of me fighting a lone fight for Monet, the thread is here in all its glory

But I don't think you or anyone else really wants that, so out of respect, I will spare you all the embarrassment.

You will all get there in the end,

As for pick #1 give me another crack and we take Taranto or McLuggage. The gap has widened between them and McGrath unfortunately.
It's funny, but I don't think McCluggage suits us better as it stands. Better player, no doubt, but more outside than McGrath. I really like Durham, Martin and Langford as far as our wings go.

Taranto I would agree with though.

It's funny, but I don't think McCluggage suits us better as it stands. Better player, no doubt, but more outside than McGrath. I really like Durham, Martin and Langford as far as our wings go.

Taranto I would agree with though.

But you/Essendon need better midfield kicking skills, and McLuggage is considerably than Taranto in that depth.

It's all Horses for Courses stuff I suppose though.

Think you (and some other Richmond supporters) would be on your own there
Hello blaisee my friend, as you can see by posts around this one that you so kindly liked for me, everyone is pretty much saying the exact same thing close to two years ago. Bolton is good but consistency is holding him back. He had gotten better and more consistent so has risen up draft boards

Hello blaisee my friend, as you can see by posts around this one that you so kindly liked for me, everyone is pretty much saying the exact same thing close to two years ago. Bolton is good but consistency is holding him back. He had gotten better and more consistent so has risen up draft boards

My dear friend,

Please don't force me to do this.

Nobody wants an I told you thread.

If you keep baiting me on this I will.

First you said " everyone said he was elite", now you are saying "everyone was saying he was good"

Words matter

My dear friend,

Please don't force me to do this.

Nobody wants an I told you thread.

If you keep baiting me on this I will.

First you said " everyone said he was elite", now you are saying "everyone was saying he was good"

Words matter

Unless you're going back to the first post where I was very clearly exaggerating for effect? In which case, we might need to work on your comprehension which would be strange because you seem very well versed in exaggeration.

Also, just because he wasnt consesus top 10, at the start of the 2020 year, doesnt mean he wasnt seen as "elite" (I'd argue its hard for any draftee to be elite in their 3rd year though). The draft is stacked with talent all the way through, this is also why basically everyone takes affront with your black and yellow goggles, there is a lot of talent with a lot of proven performers, it is disingenuous to repeatedly say Bolton is the clear number 1.

Shai Bolton has never made the AA extended squad. McCluggage has made it 3 years in a row. Not to mention double the AFLCA votes. That's pretty compelling to me who is ahead at this stage.

I’ve got him easily ahead of Bolton for one
giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simpkin had a cracking game on the weekend - 33 disposals - 12 contested - over 500 meters gained. His third quarter was incredible.

2nd time this year he has had coaches votes in a loss - not easy to do.

Simpkin is a ripper.
Deserves more recognition from the media in general imo.

Simpkin had a cracking game on the weekend - 33 disposals - 12 contested - over 500 meters gained. His third quarter was incredible.

2nd time this year he has had coaches votes in a loss - not easy to do.
He had a ripper game but I'll dispute that it's hard to get votes in a loss, generally losing teams get votes unless they were flogged unlike the Brownlow where it's only 6 votes given out

Shai Bolton has never made the AA extended squad. McCluggage has made it 3 years in a row. Not to mention double the AFLCA votes. That's pretty compelling to me who is ahead at this stage.
That's fair enough

At least you have backed up your view with some facts.

I guess you are comparing their careers up till the end of 2021, Shai Monet resume isn't bad either

2 flags, and top 4 in the best and fairest in a premiership year, and norm smith medal votes, so a proven big game player.

Depends how much of an emphasis you have on winning, and being a key player in a flag side.

This year however I don't think its even close

Shai is in the top 10 in the league as far as player ratings
Shai is in the top six in the league as far as Coaches votes
Shai is top 7 in total goals
Top 5 in total SI

Interestingly even though Shai kicks more goals he still averages more CP, and clearances than Clug in 2022, and surprisingly averages more clearances than Clug over his whole career, while still having better Disposal Efficiency.

Having said all that, Clug is a gun, very classy footballer

My current top 10 players taken in 2016 draft are as follows

1. Shai
2. English
3. Stewart
4. Clug
5. Taranto
6. simpkin
7. darcy
8. Rioli
9. Mcgrath
10.Ridley

That's fair enough

I guess you are comparing their careers up till the end of 2021, Shai Monet resume isn't bad either

2 flags, and top 4 in the best and fairest in a premiership year, and norm smith medal votes, so a proven big game player.

Depends how much of an emphasis you have on winning, and being a key player in a flag side.

Top 5 in total SI

Interestingly even though Shai kicks more goals he still averages more CP, and clearances than Clug in 2022, and surprisingly averages more clearances than Clug over his whole career, while still having better Disposal Efficiency.

1. Shai
2. English
3. Stewart
4. Clug
5. Taranto
6. simpkin
7. darcy
8. Rioli
9. Mcgrath
10.Ridley

So all i got from this was Bolton was lucky to be in a good side has won 0 B&F's, has not been included in any AA squads and started 2022 strongly like he did in 2021.

You also keep incorrectly keep posting he has norm smith votes - how many votes has he received?

Last edited:
He had a ripper game but I'll dispute that it's hard to get votes in a loss, generally losing teams get votes unless they were flogged unlike the Brownlow where it's only 6 votes given out

Out of the 1,080 votes given 844 have been for the winning team. Its very one sided.

That's fair enough

Top 5 in total SI

1. Shai
2. English
3. Stewart
4. Clug
5. Taranto
6. simpkin
7. darcy
8. Rioli
9. Mcgrath
10.Ridley
Luke ryan is an AA and b&f. He's definitely better than McGrath and rioli at least

But Bolton took a good mark last year. We should

So all i got from this was Bolton was lucky to be in a good side has won 0 B&F's, has not been included in any AA squads and started 2022 strongly like he did in 2021.

You also keep incorrectly keep posting he has norm smith votes - how many votes has he received?
You are wasting your time with him. He is a nuffie. Shai is a talented player but is nowhere near consistent he also thought Noah Balta was an elite ruckman and forward he is blinded by tigers nuffyism

But Bolton took a good mark last year. We should

A whole lot of ordinary players have been premiership players. Richard Hadley was for us in 2003.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back