Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha yes, we too have some serious duds that have been premiership players

Chewing Gum Reaction GIF

Interestingly even though Shai kicks more goals he still averages more CP, and clearances than Clug in 2022, and surprisingly averages more clearances than Clug over his whole career, while still having better Disposal Efficiency.
I mean Clug plays a lot more wing than inside mid - so no surprise he is lower on Centre clearances but jumps up again over stoppage clearances.

But yes if you look at a lot of those CP, clearances, DE% from Bolton this year they are about the same as Clugg last year. But Clug also got a lot more of the outside ball, rebound 50s, inside 50s, metres gained (only really relevant for outside players), goal assists and so on.

All that tells me is that Bolton's form this year is starting to catch up to McCluggage's best from last year in some factors. If he maintains it for a full year it will be great. And he will likely keep rising up the re-draft board. But at the moment I (and many others) seem to think he still has ground to make up and be more consistent.

On list needs I'd absolutely consider taking Shai first for Hawthorn in a redraft.

However, you could nail the number 1 selection from a handful of players in this draft. Stewart, Taranto, McCluggage just to name a few.

It's fun to argue it, but also pretty pointless.

Had a quick look at the stats on footy wire and they're fairly close. Bolton does lead in some categories while McCluggage is ahead others-

Disposals
Marks
Tackles
Disposal efficiency
Stoppage clearances
Intercepts
Tackles inside 50

Raw stats never Tell the whole story but the comparisons with bags and Timmy t suggest Shai is behind them

I mean Clug plays a lot more wing than inside mid - so no surprise he is lower on Centre clearances but jumps up again over stoppage clearances.

But yes if you look at a lot of those CP, clearances, DE% from Bolton this year they are about the same as Clugg last year. But Clug also got a lot more of the outside ball, rebound 50s, inside 50s, metres gained (only really relevant for outside players), goal assists and so on.

All that tells me is that Bolton's form this year is starting to catch up to McCluggage's best from last year in some factors. If he maintains it for a full year it will be great. And he will likely keep rising up the re-draft board. But at the moment I (and many others) seem to think he still has ground to make up and be more consistent.

I never mentioned centre clearances or stoppage clearances I said clearances

And Shai Bolton averages more clearances than Clug over his career

He also averages more 1%, goals, CM, Marks I50, I50s, GA

To be honest, stats in general are overrated, they mean very little , I think the coaches vote argument has more merit personally, but even then it it affected by how many great players you have in your team, there are less votes to go around if you play with champions every week. Then there is Official AFL player ratings, probably because it is the best ranking system we have based on data

For me the stats that matter are positions in best and fairests and coaches votes, AFL player ratings, anything that removes the media from decision making as generally they have no idea.

Clearly there is a multiple on the above if you are playing in premierships.

For example generally speaking finishing in the top 10 in the best and fairest in a team that is last, is not as valuable as finishing top 10 in a team that wins the flag, sounds obvious but I am sure to some it will sound controversial.

On list needs I'd absolutely consider taking Shai first for Hawthorn in a redraft.

However, you could nail the number 1 selection from a handful of players in this draft. Stewart, Taranto, McCluggage just to name a few.

especially if there is no hawthorn players, you don't have any skin in the game

Stewart you don't need , you have Jiath, Sicily, Day

Taranto is too much like the rest of your midfield

It will be Clug or Shai.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shai Bolton has never made the AA extended squad. McCluggage has made it 3 years in a row. Not to mention double the AFLCA votes. That's pretty compelling to me who is ahead at this stage.

Better than making the squad, Stewart has 3 actual AA's and a B+F, and apparently he's still not ahead either, haha

Last edited:
Better than making the squad, Stewart has 3 actual AA's and a B+F, and apparently he's still not ahead either, haha
Yeah Stewart the clear leader so far on return. His age makes it a bit unclear on where he would be taken if the draft was redone. By the end of their careers a few of these players may well go past him.

AA, lol

These media awards are irrelevant, WGAF what Darcy and whichever other pundit thinks?

So what about Stewart smashing Bolton last year in the coaches votes??

Or Stewart winning a B&F in a much better team last year - Bolton missed the podium.

Anyway you cut it Stewart has been the best performed player from this draft.

AA, lol

These media awards are irrelevant, WGAF what Darcy and whichever other pundit thinks?

He says after continually using the coaches votes as his criteria for deeming Bolton as the be all and end all...

Love how you conveniently ignore his B+F as well. Face it mate, you are so biased it's ridiculous. In fact, that should be your username - biasee instead of blaisee - just move a few letters around and it's perfect.

You just continually harass everyone who disagrees with your point of view, whilst shoving it down their throat and not even realizing how obtuse you're being. When confronted with anything that disputes/disproves that POV, you then move the goal posts and change the criteria so that Bolton is viewed more favourably.

What's worse, is that you're harping on about coaches votes...but not acknowledging the amount that all of Taranto, McLuggage and Stewart have over the past 3 seasons. Apparently they only count this year, but not in previous years because it doesn't support your argument. Why does everyone have to come over to your side and acknowledge Bolton as the next coming of Christ...when you won't acknowledge a single thing anyone else says? You're like a damn Trump supporter.

Seriously. It was amusing at first, but your hypocrisy now just makes you look like a fool.

You really are annoying.

My current top 10 players taken in 2016 draft are as follows

1. Shai
2. English
3. Stewart
4. Clug
5. Taranto
6. simpkin
7. darcy
8. Rioli
9. Mcgrath
10.Ridley

Great, so you overate Rioli as well. It never ends.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back