Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

ah right.

Id say Taranto is #1 right now. He's building an elite inside game to go with his abilty to get outside and be an attacking mid.
More i watch him, the more i see a kid on the trajectory to eliteness.

The top 6 from this draft were pretty special and there really wasn't any going wrong with any of them at 1.
Id have McGrath and Clug closer. Other than being a little quiet against the Pies, McGrath has been excellent this season.
The difference between the two for me is Clug goes forward a little more, McGrath goes defensive a little more. I put that down to game style. Essendon like to attack from defence. And he's one of our best/hardest runners, and more agile through the middle.

If i was picking today, i still don't know who i'd take at 1.
I was always torn between McGrath and Taranto that year. Still am.
Clug & SPS would also be in that conversation.

Injury has probably held Setterfield & Ainsworth back from being in that conversation.

Not to mention McGrath will likely be your next captain after Heppell wont he? Dysons still young so McGrath will be prime age to take over in a few years. McGrath I think is the best leader in the bunch

Well yeah.... Not really relevant what happened, you said he's best 22 but he's played at box hill on the weekend. Doesn't really add up.

He also played against Coburg....
Yeah i said that based on the week prior before selection. We done?

Last edited:
Not to mention McGrath will likely be your next captain after Heppell wont he? Dysons still young so McGrath will be prime age to take over in a few years. McGrath I think is the best leader in the bunch
tough call
Reckon Merrett has runs on the board there. He strikes me as a Sam Mitchell/Gary O'D-esque leader. i.e. follow the example. trains hards, expects the best.
Lloyd was very similar.

We do have a tendency to go either the hard nut or the nurturer as captain.
Hird, Heppell, Jobe to a large extent (christ i miss Jobe).

So its anyone guess post-Hepp.

I think after what the club went through, we saw some of that natural leadership in McGrath and went with it as the deciding factor.
What you also get with that is less chance of a #1 pick not doing the hard work to live up to the potential of the pick....Not that it appeared a risk with Taranto, Clug, etc.

Yeah i said that based on the week prior before selection. We done?
No need to get defensive. Its a discussion thread. I was just pointing out truths, wasn't even insulting the kid. He's played some good footy, I just don't think the forms been there of late.

Berry has been earmarked as a potential next captain as well (between him and Andrews). Both seem like great young leaders

Just on McGrath, he is copping bit of a raw deal here, he is and will be a fine player, hactually not sure what his best position is.

SPS and Fisher were amongst Carlton's best yesterday, not saying SPS will be better than McLuggage or Taranto, but i wouldn't swap him for anyone else in that draft, he is such an explosive and intelligent footballer, its a real treat watching him get better week by week

Berry has been earmarked as a potential next captain as well (between him and Andrews). Both seem like great young leaders

Yeah no doubt, I am a huge fan of Berry and have in firmly in the chasing pack behind Taranto and McCluggage, considering most of the elite talent was in the first handful of picks, the Lions did very well to pick Berry up relatively late

No need to get defensive. Its a discussion thread. I was just pointing out truths, wasn't even insulting the kid. He's played some good footy, I just don't think the forms been there of late.

How was i being defensive, you were nitpicking my comment focusing on the 'best 22' part, but you know what you're right! he wasn't in the best 22 last week and not playing his best footy right now.

We done?

Just on McGrath, he is copping bit of a raw deal here, he is and will be a fine player, hactually not sure what his best position is.

SPS and Fisher were amongst Carlton's best yesterday, not saying SPS will be better than McLuggage or Taranto, but i wouldn't swap him for anyone else in that draft, he is such an explosive and intelligent footballer, its a real treat watching him get better week by week
i think we have McGrath earmarked as a mid.
His decision making, disposal and cool head go nicely with his pace and agility.
He'll get a lot out of playing with Shiel methinks.

SPS looks very good, was/is a Lions fan IIRC. May explain why he nicked Rayner's hair cut!

SPS looks very good, was/is a Lions fan IIRC. May explain why he nicked Rayner's hair cut!

Was a Lions fan, but didn’t wanna play up there.

Samo has had much the same hair cut since his U18 days btw.

810F6496-87A2-4D30-852C-364D4255CCF1.jpeg

Back when Raynor looked like this ...

c6522851169dba1868075fa7212295d6

Pretty clear who nicked whose hair-do here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Revisiting the top 20 today (with current form) -

1. Tim Taranto
2. Tom Stewart
3. Hugh McLuggage
4. Zac Fisher
5. Luke Ryan
6. Brandan Parfitt
7. Alex Witherden
8. Sam Powell-Pepper
9. SPS
10. Andrew McGrath
11. Olly Florent
12. Jarrod Berry
13. Tim English
14. Jack Henry
15. Jack Bowes
16. Will Hayward
17. Ben Ainsworth
18. Rowan Marshall
19. Willie Rioli
20. Todd Marshall

Interesting exercise. Definitely my favourite draft of ours in recent years

EDITED: To replace Ratugolea with Rowan Marshall, and O'Connor with Todd Marshall

Last edited:

1. Tim Taranto
2. Tom Stewart
3. Hugh McLuggage
4. Zac Fisher
5. Luke Ryan
6. Brandan Parfitt
7. Alex Witherden
8. Sam Powell-Pepper
9. SPS
10. Andrew McGrath
11. Olly Florent
12. Jarrod Berry
13. Tim English
14. Jack Henry
15. Jack Bowes
16. Will Hayward
17. Ben Ainsworth
18. Esava Ratugolea
19. Willie Rioli
20. Mark O'Connor

Keep a close eye on Berry the next time you watch Brisbane play and maybe try and redo the list without your Geelong bias.

1. Tim Taranto
2. Tom Stewart
3. Hugh McLuggage
4. Zac Fisher
5. Luke Ryan
6. Brandan Parfitt
7. Alex Witherden
8. Sam Powell-Pepper
9. SPS
10. Andrew McGrath
11. Olly Florent
12. Jarrod Berry
13. Tim English
14. Jack Henry
15. Jack Bowes
16. Will Hayward
17. Ben Ainsworth
18. Esava Ratugolea
19. Willie Rioli
20. Mark O'Connor

Any other Geelong players that have played 10ish games that get in your top 20? Ryan Abbott's played a game, surely you can squeeze him in there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back