Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

What type of player do we need most? (Whether mature or rookie age)

• A tall forward

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • An inside midfielder

Votes: 44 24.7%
  • An outside midfielder

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • A half back

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • A small forward

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • A ruckman

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If they take some mature age such as Kelly, Schloithe and Ryan, have heard a media viewpoint they see themselves as still having a premiership window and will recruit developed players. Hope thats true it may spread the WA young talent out more.
Surely they don't seriously think that Kelly and Schloithe can not only cover the loss of Priddis and Mitchell but improve them enough to actually win a flag?

That is delusion on a mega-scale if true.

If they take some mature age such as Kelly, Schloithe and Ryan, have heard a media viewpoint they see themselves as still having a premiership window and will recruit developed players. Hope thats true it may spread the WA young talent out more.
My guess Schloithe will go to north. Kelly probably Eagles , Liam Ryan - port,Richmond or hawthorn .

Surely they don't seriously think that Kelly and Schloithe can not only cover the loss of Priddis and Mitchell but improve them enough to actually win a flag?

tbh i guess its possible - if the last two years have shown us anything, its that a mediocre team with 1-2 guns can win a flag in the right circumstances.

if you look at their list on paper it's a bottom 4 team though.

Yeah, they still seem to think they are a chance. Is it desperation with an ageing Kennedy and anxiety about Yeo/McGovern walking out? I think there is a chance they remain mid table but no way are they a legitimate shot at a premiership with that midfield.

I would have committed to rebuild and traded out Gaff and others. Get some currency before they are too old and stack their draft hand this year and next to bring in some quality players (mostly mids) and not more vanilla. Just don't see how they are going anywhere by adding in WAFL mature agers. I rate Tim Kelly but only as depth in a midfield like ours. We delisted Barlow last year and he'd be twice as good as any inside ball winner they'd pick up from the WAFL.

If they're smart they'll forget the mature agers and draft u18s and invest into far better player development at East Perth like we have at Peel. But no doubt they'll do the same dual narrative thing like we did and make a mess of it.

Didn't really know where to post this and didn't warrant a thread, but he is a "free agent", massive emphasis on the "" .A little thought goes to Rhys Palmer who was delisted today, whose career looks effectively over at 28. Man what a could've been, never the same player after his acl gave away. But was our only rising star winner alongside Hesleby. Bye Bye Rhys, doubt we ll ever hear about you again, what a fall from early grace.

Last edited:
Didn't really know where to post this and didn't warrant a thread, but he is a "free agent", massive emphasis on the "" .A little thought goes to Rhys Palmer who was delisted today, whose carrer looks effectively over at 28. Man what a could've been, never the same player after his acl gave away. But was our only rising star winner alongside Hesleby. Bye Bye Rhys, doubt we ll ever hear about you again, what a fall from early grace.

Might get a mention in the Peel thread next year (as an opposition player). Heard he's coming back home to play for a WAFL side - not sure who though. Hopefully East Freo though. I like seeing players return to their original club instead of signing for Subiaco.

Might get a mention in the Peel thread next year (as an opposition player). Heard he's coming back home to play for a WAFL side - not sure who though. Hopefully East Freo though. I like seeing players return to their original club instead of signing for Subiaco.
My guess will be East Freo too.

Yeah, they still seem to think they are a chance. Is it desperation with an ageing Kennedy and anxiety about Yeo/McGovern walking out? I think there is a chance they remain mid table but no way are they a legitimate shot at a premiership with that midfield.

I would have committed to rebuild and traded out Gaff and others. Get some currency before they are too old and stack their draft hand this year and next to bring in some quality players (mostly mids) and not more vanilla. Just don't see how they are going anywhere by adding in WAFL mature agers. I rate Tim Kelly but only as depth in a midfield like ours. We delisted Barlow last year and he'd be twice as good as any inside ball winner they'd pick up from the WAFL.

If they're smart they'll forget the mature agers and draft u18s and invest into far better player development at East Perth like we have at Peel. But no doubt they'll do the same dual narrative thing like we did and make a mess of it.
Will be interesting to follow. Simpson contracted til end of 2019. I would have thought going full rebuild now would lower expectations for next year, and possibly allow some grace for extension if they see him as the right man to do it. Otherwise, I guess it’s hell for leather and trying to make finals whilst topping up the list - not sure their supporters would get behind a full rebuild.

Subi's TARDIS salary cap is surely going to start shrinking back to the pack now.

tbh i guess its possible - if the last two years have shown us anything, its that a mediocre team with 1-2 guns can win a flag in the right circumstances.

I guess so but my god their gameplan will need some adjustments for that to be the case. Both Dogs and Tigers applied insane pressure. West Coast is a corralling team.

Will be interesting to follow. Simpson contracted til end of 2019. I would have thought going full rebuild now would lower expectations for next year, and possibly allow some grace for extension if they see him as the right man to do it.
They should have given him an extension and committed to a rebuild. Instead they've taken the easy path to take the heat off themselves and it will cost the club long term.

Simpson is just warming the seat for Cox - he'll do two years as an assistant then come home as the prodigal son

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would have thought so. But if they do.....I hope the likes of Patmore and Starcevich may be late picks. Very outside chance for us

Giving some thought to our pick 5 and what we may have planned re that pick prior to trade period.

Many suggest Naughton is a stetch at 5. But interesting to think that a 17yo (turns 18 nov 2018) plays most the year in Peel A and among many Freo AFL players.

Holds his spot except at the end of the year when there is large number Freo players come back.

His history at Peel shows too that he has on a few occassions been thrown into the forward line and been very successful.

Will be a big call to go past him I would think

Giving some thought to our pick 5 and what we may have planned re that pick prior to trade period.

Many suggest Naughton is a stetch at 5. But interesting to think that a 17yo (turns 18 nov 2018) plays most the year in Peel A and among many Freo AFL players.

Holds his spot except at the end of the year when there is large number Freo players come back.

His history at Peel shows too that he has on a few occassions been thrown into the forward line and been very successful.

All we need is an contested marking option, just like Riewoldt, a player who can break packs but still agile when
The pill hits the ground. Appeness isn't the answer, has a turning circle of the Titanic.
I expect the majority of our goals will be kicked by our Small's/mediums, Richmond copying our DNA.
An athletic quick Tall will suffice, and watch our piranha pack finish them off.
Brander, Naughton, Fogarty, all have defensive qualities, pressure creates opportunity.

Hoping Longmuir will come back to us. Where he belongs.

Bumped into him at a pub in Vic Park once when he'd just defected to the Budgies. Fair to say I'd had a skinful and although he received my "I'm an inaugural Freo member" introduction warmly, as soon as I commenced my critique of his decision to leave us he seemed to be more interested in talking to some other people there.

Won't hold it against him tho.

Bumped into him at a pub in Vic Park once when he'd just defected to the Budgies. Fair to say I'd had a skinful and although he received my "I'm an inaugural Freo member" introduction warmly, as soon as I commenced my critique of his decision to leave us he seemed to be more interested in talking to some other people there.

Won't hold it against him tho.

I ran into him the morning following the draft a few years back. I asked how he felt we did in the draft and he was very, very excited in particular about us getting a young bloke by the name of Nate Fyfe.

I don't (and may others either) think he is a reach, we just don't need a KPD.

You don't draft a defender at 5 and play him out of position in the forward line. That is lunacy. Especially not when Cox is already doing whatever you might expect from Naughton.

I guarantee if he wasn't a WA (especially Peel) boy nobody here would be remotely interested.

Naughton was injured with a broken finger.

Back